Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Total Security 2010 Services Not Responding

Options

Dear All,

I had the windows security center reporting the the malware update is not up to date for Total security 2009.... then i was advised by BD guys to upgrade to total security 2010, which solved the problem.... However, now i frequently get crashes for the bitdefender on my system, and i have the message "Bit defender services are njot responding" with the grey color. Before this i get some error reports where i send them to bitdefender for analysis.

What should i do????

P.S. I had these same problems before with 2009, and then i sent some dump files to BD, whom advised me to remove some programs, which when i removed the problem dissappeared.

Please help.

Comments

• I had the same type of issue hady. The bitdefender icon in the taskbar is grayed out and if you click on it you just get a message saying that bitdefender services are not responding. If I restart it will work okay but this happens quite frequently so I should not have to restart constantly just so that bitdefender works. You said initially you had removed some programs and bitdefender worked find. what programs were they?

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello stevenomes and hadyhosny,

Both of you have been sent an email for further investigation. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can determine what is causing this situation .

Thank you .

• lutz
    Options

Hi Alex,

on my machine (XP Home SP3) the virus part of the activity bar is working, the firewall part is red crossed, the systray icon is red, but when I click on Show in the right-click menu I get the "... not responding..." message.

lutz

• i too get a similar problem, following an update(sometimes frequently) it will display a window saying that the services are temporary unavailable,then nothing ,firewall appears to be active but everything else appears to be doe doe,the only way to get the tray icon back to red is a re-boot,also the network menu that shows connected pc's on your lan sometimes fails too,or it will say the computer is offline when im using it to view this as bit defender is installed on it,lol,and the latest one is the antispam toolbar no displaying in outlook express 6 but works in outlook office mail client????? what is going on this should still be a beta and being tested as it's not finished

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello lutz and davey,

It will help us a lot if you will follow the instructions that we have sent you through the email and reply back with the generated reports from your systems .

We are looking forward to your replies.

Thank you .

• Hi Alex,

thanx for support. The KB article says it would be better to generate the dumps and logs just when the problem is there, so maybe you have to wait a couple of days. The problem arises every two or three days.

Regards, lutz

• It happened again. I generated the requested dump and log files and mailed them back to you. I got a warning from Outlook that your mail system might not accept those attatchments?

Lutz

• Ok. I sent the requested files for analysis. Hopefully this is something that can be resolved soon. I am currently debating renewing my bitdefender subscription and if I cannot get this issue fixed I will be forced to turn elsewhere. Thanx for your help with troubleshooting this issue.

Scott

• Update: i have sent the files you requested along with some screen shots,

• I am also getting this problem with 2010 antivirus.

It very regularly greys out and says the services are not responding.

Please contact me with anything you want me to do to help.

-Alceh

• This is on Vista 32bit SP2.

• Alex Stanciu
    Alex Stanciu ✭✭
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hello Alceh,

This issue requires further investigation and that is why we have contacted you through the email with some instructions that will help you obtain some reports that we need to look on.

We are looking forward to your reply .

Thank you .

• I get the same error everyone else does. I run win xp sp3 and I get the bitdefender is not responding error a couple times a day.

Charles

• DELHAYE
    edited October 2009
    Options

Same:

A. FIRST ISSUE

1. The security status warns about 2 security issues:

- "automatic update is disabled"

- "update has never been performed"

2. However, I had configured BitDefender to automatically update, and I believe that it has been updated a number o times.

3. Clicking on "Fix All issues":

- fails to re-enable automatic updates

- update is no performed; I have to click "finish"

5. In BitDefender control panel, I go to the "Update" section.

- The 'Update' tab is greyed

- The 'settings' tab is grayed, too.

I run XP32 XP3.

B. SECOND ISSUE

Tried to report the problem using the online form. Repeatedly tells me that the security code doesn't match the image one; however, it DOES match the image.

--

NOTE: submitted this on the Support Chat. Waiting for an email.

--

• SOLVED: see below

Same:

A. FIRST ISSUE

1. The security status warns about 2 security issues:

- "automatic update is disabled"

- "update has never been performed"

2. However, I had configured BitDefender to automatically update, and I believe that it has been updated a number o times.

3. Clicking on "Fix All issues":

- fails to re-enable automatic updates

- update is no performed; I have to click "finish"

5. In BitDefender control panel, I go to the "Update" section.

- The 'Update' tab is greyed

- The 'settings' tab is grayed, too.

I run XP32 XP3.

B. SECOND ISSUE

Tried to report the problem using the online form. Repeatedly tells me that the security code doesn't match the image one; however, it DOES match the image.

--

NOTE: submitted this on the Support Chat. Waiting for an email.

--

HOW I SOLVED THIS (XP SP3) (found somewhere else on the forum):

1. Restart the computer in SAFE mode (repeatedly press "F8" key on startup

2. Go to C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BidFedender 2010\Ini\Default\

and find "v_live_s.xml" - copy this file to the clipboard

3. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service, and paste the file ("YES" to replace).

4. Restart computer in normal mode, update BitDefender.

---

STILL: I want to know why that happened in the first place, and how to prevent that from happening again. No Updates renders the antivirus uneffective - not what the doctor orders.

AND: chatted with support, all they promised is to send me an email withing 30 minutes. That was 2 hours ago, received nothing...

• I am also having similar issues. I did a reinstall which was very painful. Had to run the uninstall program several times...

Issues.

1) Icon goes greyed out then it comes back. Says services are not available (vsserver.exe) is not available. Then it comes back.

2) Bitdefender will say I have an issue but when I got to check, the console opens for a few minutes and then a screen comes up saying bit defender is not available similar to 1)

3) Internet access is very very slow. I have a 3 year 5 license and installed this on my mom's machine XP SP-3 It's so slow she went back to her old computer with norton and Windows 2000. she thinks it's great in comparison to what was happening with XP and bit defender. Here machine has 2gig of ram and is fast.

4) I run true crypt. With bitdefender installed truecrypt takes a significant amount of time to start. True Crypt installs a service when t runs.

5) When I took bit defender off, true crypt was very fast to start and web surfing was very very fast.

6) When I reinstalled bitdefender, true crypt has slowed again and web surfing has slowed noticably.

Hardware System is Quad core 2.40mhz 4 gig ram fast hard drives

Software is XP with SP3

Bitdefender 2010.

The problem is bitdefender. All problems disappeared when bit defender was removed.

Also... can not find a bitdefender log, and there is no logging service as mentioned in other posts.

Thanks

Colin

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello cgb,

1, 2) We need to further investigate this issue and that is why we would like you to follow the steps from our email and reply back with the files that we need for analysis .

3) Open BitDefender in Expert Mode then choose the Firewall module . Click on the Network tab , choose your local adapter then set the Trust Level to "Trusted Local",Stealth Mode to "Off" and Generic to "Yes" .

4, 5, 6) Open BitDefender in Expert Mode, click on the Antivirus module and under the Shield tab click on the Advanced Settings button. Temporarily disable the Active Virus Control feature and look if you have the same slowdowns with True Crypt.

Thank you .

• I am having the same problem. I recently purchased BitDefender 2010 total security, and have installed it on my desktop, and 2 home laptops. Everything worked fine for the first week or so, then I noticed that the icon in the task bar was grayed out, and I get the message that BitDefender Services are not responding. When I restart my computer, it works, but only for a little while, then I get the error again. I have ran services.exe and selected "start program" for Bitdefender, and that turns it back on, but again, only temporarily.

I am surprised that this thread was started over 6 months ago, and there is still not an official fix posted to the thread.

Please let me know what I need to do in order to fix the prob.

Thanks

• I'm having the same problem of an XP SP3 machine and a Windows 7 machine. The icon grays out and services stop frequently. What's the fix?

• Ogmoden
    Options

Alex Stanciu,

I am having the same problem and since late March when I paid and installed BitDefender, I have had nothing but problems. Now BitDefender will not load from startup, not even a greyed out icon. The message tells me to search your support page.

WHO DO I SPEAK TO IN ORDER TO GET MY MONEY BACK so I can purchase a virus protection program that works without constant tweaking?

• I'm also having a similar issue. The BitDefender icon grays out and stops responding. I also receive Windows Security Center alerts when the icon is red and BitDefender reports that everything is alright. Could someone from Tech Support contact me?

• ezekiel_gml
    edited July 2010
    Options

Same issue here on 2 different computers. One is Vista 64, one is Win 7 (now running beta which works fine). I'll send whatever files I need to if you let me know what and how.

• bayne
    edited August 2010
    Options

I am having this same problem... Can anyone from Support help me? It has been going on ever since I installed it... It's too bad im locked in for a few more years of this BS.

BTW i am on Windows XP SP2..

• stevenomes
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I am having this same problem... Can anyone from Support help me? It has been going on ever since I installed it... It's too bad im locked in for a few more years of this BS.

I'm not from bitdefender, but at least i will respond to you. My best idea which has worked the longest and gotten it down to only gray ball on updates, is to do the following.

Run a complete virus scan while BD is still working (hopefull that's more often than not)

Remove anything it finds

Uninstall BD with the uninstall tool

Uninstall any other security solutions (adaware, spotbot, etc) except a registry cleaner

Restart your computer

Run a good resgistry cleaner that you trust. I've used CCcleaner which seems to do the job and is light

remove all traces of BD that are left.

Reinstall BD Total Security. Restart if prompted

Change it to run update every 4 hours.

Pray that you dont see the deathstar in the lower righthand corner of your screen.

I still get it but it only happens during updates now(every four hours) or an alternative is to just leave update at manual and have it run when you are sleeping or something.

I know its a pretty lame solution but if you purchased a 2 yr license this might be the best plan to at least make the problem manageable until they come out with 2011

• I also noticed that this tends to happen if you leave your computer idle for a while, whether it's hibernating or harddrive is off, etc. i dont know what causes it. But you might do yourself a favor if your restart more frequently I try to restart once every 2 days now. The death star does not come up when you restart, at least for the first 5 minutes...

• Hi Bayne,

1. Download http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...ile/sysdump.exe

2. Locate and open 'sysdump.exe'

3. A command prompt window will appear on your screen. Please note that the information gathering process can take several minutes therefore please wait until the window disappear by itself.

4. The result will be the file called 'SYSDUMP.TAR'

5. Upload the file HERE then send me a PM with the download link.

Next follow the steps below to check the entries you have in AutoRun - when Windows loads:

a) Please go to THIS page

and download the autoruns file.

B) Extract the contents of the downloaded file and run the 'autoruns.exe' file;

c) Wait for the list to be filled with all the processes and then make sure that you have the Everything tab selected in the upper part;

d) Click on the Disk icon right under File and chose any location folder on your computer;

e) Save the file with a specific name (your name, computer name, a random name, which one you want) and then upload it online follow by a PM to me with the download link.

Regards,

• I am having the same issue (gray ball) on about half of my 10 computers, all running Windows XP SP2, both Media and Pro versions. It seems to be getting worse as the year progresses. One of them is my POS server so it is a real pain to reboot except for after store hours.

• I am having the same issue (gray ball) on about half of my 10 computers, all running Windows XP SP2, both Media and Pro versions. It seems to be getting worse as the year progresses. One of them is my POS server so it is a real pain to reboot except for after store hours.

yeah, that really ######. sounds like a more major problem than what I have (just on home computer). I hope someone can help you get it resolved. Might as well do the sys dump thing so you have it ready when they ask you (seems thats all the want to see nowadays)

• Considering the fact that most of the users have installed on their computer two or more security solutions - there were cases when we found 6-7 software installed - it's normal to ask for logs as first step of troubleshooting in order to be able to reproduce and/or resolve the issue.

@richardb49: I would recommend you to first update your Windows to Service Pack 3 then make sure you have no other security solutions installed. Also make sure when you are using a registry cleaner that you do not remove any registry keys associated with BitDefender as it may create issues with it. How often you receive that error message and when ? Can you reproduce the issue ? Please follow the steps below and send me the log files for further analysis.

1. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

2. Browse to

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

3. Doubleclick on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, rightclick on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator

4. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish

5. Go to the desktop and send us in reply to this email the file that was created by the SupportTool.

6. Include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering and a screenshot of the error message, if there is one.

Looking forward to your answer!

Regards,

• I am having this same problem... Can anyone from Support help me? It has been going on ever since I installed it... It's too bad im locked in for a few more years of this BS.

Hi Andrew,

Please check your GMail account. I have sent you instructions on how to correct the issue you are facing.

Regards,

• Me too!

I have the same issue. The BitDefender icon is gray. BitDefender says services are not responding and to contact customer carre if it persists. It is very persistent.

Help.

• Hello,

Please read my post below:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...ost&p=92978

Topic is duplicate, closed.

Kind regards,

This discussion has been closed.