Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[solved] Bd Encryption Module

Options

I have a question about this module: what exactly does it do? What's this IM Encryption thing? Is it mandatory to be enabled?

Perhaps someone could explain this to me. Many thanks.

Comments

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello AndreiRC,

Basically, IM Encryption is a feature that will secure the information transferred through Yahoo Messenger and Windows Live Messenger .

If you want to find a complete description on how this module is working, please access the BitDefender help file . Also, the same information can be found in the BitDefender User Guide at the page 304 .

Thank you .

• I read the description from the BD Help file. What I'm wondering is: is it mandatory to have it turned on? I'm only using the messenger for normal conversation, not to transfer files or anything like that.

• Hello AndreiRC,

Nothing is mandatory (not even having a security software at all). :)

If you consider you don't need a feature, you can just disable it.

To clarify a little the situation: IM Encryption can be seen as part of the Privacy Protection features, not as a System Security feature, because it protects your conversations against unwanted eavesdropping.

For instance, YM conversations are sent through the network totally unencrypted. Yes, they are "packed" in the YMSG protocol, but they can be relatively easily be seen in clear text by anyone in the same network as you. There are hundreds of applications used for network packet sniffing (and some of them are especially designed for YM protocol) with which you can be "spied" on.

BitDefender IM Encryption basically encrypts the chat replies before they are sent and, on the other side (when the replies reach the destination), they are decrypted. This way, even if someone sniffs the network, your conversations will just look like gibberish. :)

Also, as written in the Help file, both you and the other person (with whom you chat to) must have BitDefender installed and use the same IM client (YM or MSN).

More than this... it's simply your decision if you keep it enabled or not.

Cris.

• Almost all of my contacts don't have BD installed, I asked them. So even if I want to encrypt the conversation, they cannot.

Alright, thanks so much, Cris. :)

• You're welcome. :)

The part both users must have BitDefender installed is not a marketing decision, but a technical limitation. In order for the chat replies to be decrypted, the recipient of the chat message needs to have BitDefender installed. Otherwise, if you send an encrypted message to him and he doesn't have BitDefender installed, he will receive the same gibberish (encrypted text) and, in the end, it will be impossible to communicate with him.

Cris.

• Yeah, I figured that part out, Cris. Thanks. :)

• I suspected you figured it out.

But I decided to post it anyway, in case anyone else was interested in this subject and I wanted to tie up all loose ends. :)

Since the subject has been clarified, I will close this topic. If you need it reopened, drop me a PM.

Cris.

== CLOSED ==

== ISSUE SOLVED ==

This discussion has been closed.