Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Temporary Workaround

Options

We, the customers, have been assured lately by Alex that BD team is working on a fix after last major product update that produced lots of issues making BD actually non-operable.

Until they realease a fix there's a workaround that will let us use BD in a state before that update.

I described this method in one of my posts here so some ppl here already know it.

Doing this again for those of you who didn't heard about it.

So, first of all, anyone who got stuck after the update encountering all bugs brought by it - uninstall BD completely, then reinstall with the setup released before major update.

By the end of installation process DO NOT LET THE SETUP UPDATE ANYTHING.

You may even disconnect from internet for the time of installation.

Reconnect when you change update option from Auto to Manual.

Then immediately change the update option from automatic to manual.

Check the build of BD you just installed - right-click icon on system tray and choose About.

It should be 13.0.16.xxx or lower.

If it's 13.0.17.xxx you're screwed and have to repeat the whole un/reinstall process all over again.

Make sure one more time the setup is from BEFORE major update, and you won't let it update automatically by the end of installation.

Here's the procedure how to turn from Auto to full Manual update -

do it immediately after the setup:

Switch to Expert Mode, go to Update section and untick Automatic Update.

Then move on to Settings tab and check "Prompt before installing update" under "Confirm update".

Also check "Prompt before downloading updates" under "Manual update settings".

Now you're set for full manual update.

At this point your product will not update automatically.

You'll have to check for updates whenever you want.

To receive an update you'll have to click Update Now button,

and you'll be promted with a popup window that shows both virus defs and product updates separately.

This way you'll be able to choose virus signatures or product or both to be updated.

Just highlight one or another, or both.

Now, DO NOT LET BD DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL PRODUCT UPDATE before the fix is released.

Don't worry, your virus signatures will be up to date while not letting install faulty product update thus preventing you from all issues it causes.

When BD team announces the fix, and only then, make a backup of your system before installing new product update.

Then when prompted by still manual update, highlight both options (virus signatures + product update) and click OK.

When update process is finished, reboot and see if things are working.

If yes, you may turn your update options back to Automatic or leave it in Manual if you're afraid that any next major update might crash the functionality of your BD.

If the fix doesn't work, restore your system from the backup and wait for another fix.

Hope this helps a bit.

Comments

• Reading Viscon's post several days ago with regard to this, I performed this. However I do want to add to this in the case that anyone else should run into what I did.

After reinstalling (BE SURE you don't allow it to perform it's atuo update after installation) I unchecked the Auto Update feature in my program, then went to settings and selected "Prompt before downloading updates" under both the Auto Update Settings and the Manual Update Settings. Then I clicked on the Update Now button and the window opened giving me the option to choose what I wanted to install. I have provided a picture of that window here. I made sure that the product update of 21509 KB was NOT hi-lited and then clicked the ok button and it would not update. I didn't get any errors, but it wouldn't signatures update.

So, I rechecked the Auto Update feature, leaving everything else the same as stated above, then clicked Update Now again, selected only the Signatures update from the box, and this time it worked. Since then, this box pops up every time an update is available and I just make sure the Product update is NOT selected, click ok and the rest of the update installs. When the box opens both the Signatures and Product are selected in blue. You have to be sure and click on that Product update so that it is no longer selected.

One other note: If you do this uninstall and reinstall, turn off your UAC before doing it. Earlier on this forum (before this update) one of the moderators told me that it is known that UAC causes problems with BitDefender. That being the case, I guess they shouldn't have released the program until they had that little glitch worked out, huh? In any event, turn it off at least while you perform the uninstall and reinstall. I have to leave mine turned off because for some strange reason BD will not record a log file if I have it turned on. I've been waiting for an answer from tech support on this since before this major update came out.

post-17054-1257807541_thumb.jpg

• Nikilet, sorry for question but I didnt get what is UAC? :mellow:

• Nikilet
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Nikilet, sorry for question but I didnt get what is UAC? :mellow:

Decided to check the forum once more before turning in and seen your post. UAC is User Account Control.

In Vista, Start/Control Panel -- change it to classic View on the left and then click on User Accounts. There is an option there to turn User Account Control on or off. It requires a restart after you make the change. Good luck.

• Good in theory and thanks for passing on the "working" version number.

Unfortunately I have been unable to install on older version of BD2010 as the install goes and grabs the latest version from the internet and I don't have an old BDIS.msi on my system. I toyed with the idea of doing a system restore to pre 1st Nov when I think the update was posted but chickened out and reinstalled BD2009 instead.

This really is pants. Why can't they just backout the broken update and put us all back to 13.0.16.xxx or at least make it available for those that want it.

I shall request this on my open ticket with Tech Support - let you know if they will make it available for all.

• Unfortunately I have been unable to install on older version of BD2010 as the install goes and grabs the latest version from the internet and I don't have an old BDIS.msi on my system. I toyed with the idea of doing a system restore to pre 1st Nov when I think the update was posted but chickened out and reinstalled BD2009 instead.

Boathouse, I uploaded BDIS2010 to rapidshare from my hdd.

I got it from BD server on Oct 1 so it's definitely before latest update, could be 13.0.16.xxx but I'm not sure.

Remember, don't let it autoupdate by the end of install process.

It's 32bit.

BDIS 2010 before latest update

• Awesome, thanks, hopefully I can get it working. No offense but you have provided more support than BitDefender.

• Awesome, thanks, hopefully I can get it working. No offense but you have provided more support than BitDefender.

please also see for a dowload link to the 13.0.16 BDIS2010 x32bit kit for those who have internet security2010 to roll back after un-install, and for those who wish to use it foe 30days as a trial instead of anti virus 2010,

link to other post

and download link for 13.0.16 is x32bit

R.S Download

• Viscon: The workaround quite working for me. I can't figure that one out at all. I shut down around 2:30 a.m. and my last update was at 2:19. I booted around 2 p.m. today and clicked clicked Update Now. The box came up showing a signature update of 2700+ KB and the product update. I unselected the product update, clicked ok and it downloaded the signatures, started to install them and then quit and said No Update Available. After that the only thing I got was that product update so finally around 5 p.m. I uninstalled it and went back to BDIS 2009. So far that seems to be ok but I'm sure not holding my breath. I can not figure out why it would have been working fine and then just stopped. I didn't get any kind of error messages. It just continued to show nothing but the product update.

• Viscon

Sorry so long to reply but keep losing web pages.

Many thanks for providing the 13.0.16.xxx version will downgrade asap.

Incidentally Tech Support have provided me with a new product update "bdselfpr.sys" that gets rid of the "not enough storage" issue so some progress is being made. It won't be released generally yet as they're still testing.

However still have problems losing web pages and stuttering downloads.

Thanks again Viscon

• Nikilet:

that's odd what's happening on your side.

I checked updates today at 2:30 PM and got prompted with both, virus and product updates.

Seems like all works here like it should.

Boathouse:

good to hear your problems are partially solved.

Hopefully we'll be provided with a properly fixed update soon.

• Nikilet:

that's odd what's happening on your side.

I checked updates today at 2:30 PM and got prompted with both, virus and product updates.

Seems like all works here like it should.

Boathouse:

good to hear your problems are partially solved.

Hopefully we'll be provided with a properly fixed update soon.

Yes Viscon, it was really odd. But then, is anything really odd with this program? Anyway, 2009 still working great. Only thing is before I installed that darned 2010 my computer was really booting fast and desktop coming up fast with the 2009 and now it doesn't. I'm thinking there still might be some 2010 junk interfering somewhere. There are registry keys yet for 2010 but I went to Chat last evening and they said that was ok, that if the 2009 installed then it just means that it is using those 2010 keys. That sounds like pure balderdash to me but what do I know?

• Viscon: I just a thought I wanted to share. I mentioned how slow my boot up is ...

Well, I'm wondering if BitDefender is becoming awfully invasive, like Norton used to be years ago. In addition to the way it slows down my system, every single time I have had to uninstall 2010, which is 5 times now, I've had to uninstall Malwarebytes and History Killer Pro. The connection never dawned on me until this morning when I was going to run Malwarebytes and got that same error message and for the life of me I can't remember what it was. Seems like it was some kind of time out error, but in any event, it will not open and run. I had to uninstall and reinstall again and I wrote to their tech support. I already got an answer and it was a question.

They wanted to know why I had to uninstall and reinstall BD and "how is malwarebytes involved?"

All of a sudden my History Killer Pro wasn't running like it's supposed to, kept getting all these little pop up boxes on which I'd have to click OK. That's been happening for a while now and I finally wrote to them yesterday afternoon and sent some screen shots. This morning they sent me a link and told me to uninstall and reinstall and it dawned on me that I am sure this has to do with uninstalling BD too. So if it's affecting these programs in this way, it's getting its tentacles in pretty deep. I think I may start a ticket on this. They might as well add this to their long list of "what's wrong here?"

• Ok just installed Viscon's pre rev 17 BD2010 and all looked good there for a while - the login on two id's works fine like it should.

However I'm still getting missing web pages - just blank screen. Now that's worrying. This was working ok before the bad update - something got left behind from uninstall or something damaged outside DB's remit?? Dunno but this isn't good at all.

• For those people who want to restore their systems using Rollback Rx or Norton Goback, the morning of 2 November 2009 gives me a BD version of 13.0.16.313

So this is the date you need to aim for... then set auto update etc. off as in recommendations.

• Caution! I'm not sure if that version can guarantee that BDIS will perform well - I've already uninstalled BDIS from my desktop (and probably wont install it again - it caused too much trouble during past days), but I still have it on my laptop - ver. 3.0.15.297.

But my laptop also went nuts on november 5th - lost sound, can't perform BDIS update, doesn't recognize USB disc... I've tried repairing, uninstalling BDIS, clean install of an older version, now have registry control disabled, and updates set to prompt, but still can not update - Invalid MD5 error. Well, I've managed to get my sound back, and the USB disc functionality, but still...

And even before, when everything was "OK", I had to disable Antiphishing because it crashed my Firefox and even IE; had to hack a few Firefox addons because BDIS kept disabling them as "non compatible with this version of Firefox"; had to disable Antispam toolbar as it was causing problems in Thunderbird...

It would be bad enough that BDIS didn't perform well, but to mess up everything else on my PC - nobody has the right to do that, at least the ones that I'm paying to protect my PC.

I was a happy BDIS user for years, since 2005 - up to the point that I've installed BDIS 2010 and dumped BDIS 2008 - now I'm just sorry that I gave the money out, and still have 300+ days of the license left.

And after the whole BD crew went off for the weekend leaving the users to struggle with the problems they caused... it's really too much. I also had better things to do for the weekend, but instead I'had to spend time trying to repair the mess they created on my PCs.

• Well I had to bite the bullet and do this also and I have had relatively no issues since. Still get no internet history even without bd2010..makes me think something hosed something in my system when I initially installed and updated it as I have had no ie7 history since initial install and had perfect ie7 history before. I loved this program till now..Am seriously considering asking to reinstate my 2008..But hubby has no issues..Weird huh?

• I would love to love BD. The interface is just what I want and if everything worked as you'd expect it to, it would be great.

But quite frankly, I find it ridiculous that so many problems can be caused by a product that's supposed to make out lives easier! Then the solutions that are offered require us to be expert users (Safe mode; moving files around etc.).

So I'm voting with my feet.

I currently only use the firewall part of BD, which is excellent and is the only component in BD that seems to do what you tell it to without causing any problems.

Shame about everything else. All other features are turned off and I'm using a free anti-virus package.

When my subscription expires, I'll be taking my custom elsewhere.

• Hi All

I had an email from the tech support guy working on my ticket.

"A fix has been uploaded on the update servers. You can now update BitDefender

without having this problem anymore."

It fails to state what "this problem" is that has been fixed so I've asked for clarification. I suspect its only the "not enough storage" on switching users so I've declined to install it just yet. But I guess its a step in the right direction.

Will update this thread when I know more.

• Users who still have problems after un/reinstalling BD might suffer lots of garbage left after uninstalling this proggy.

Believe me it's quite a number of registry entries that are not swept off by the uninstall tool.

Additionally major product updates put more new entries into registry and they might be left too.

It's impossible to track them until you have monitoring application like Ashampoo Uninstaller.

That's why this workaround might bring some old issues back - simply the faulty registry entries could be left.

Regarding a "fixed update", I am with Boathouse and will wait to know more about what issues have been resolved.

Too many things got broken lately...

• Im using BDIS 13.17 . But before this i had to reinstall 2 times because my windows sound only went missing. all i get is click sounds but i cant play any media files(songs and videos) in any player. when i had uninstalled BD the problem had gone. so i reinstalled back and kept auto-updates off (prompt when to download). now i have updated it to 13.17 itself but i dont want to product update it until a proper fix is out.This whole no sound thing gets really annoying

And another thing during game mode that icon doesnt change.

will the new update include fixes for the sound problem, game icon and services updating ?

pls release a fix soon.

• Users who still have problems after un/reinstalling BD might suffer lots of garbage left after uninstalling this proggy.

Believe me it's quite a number of registry entries that are not swept off by the uninstall tool.

Additionally major product updates put more new entries into registry and they might be left too.

It's impossible to track them until you have monitoring application like Ashampoo Uninstaller.

That's why this workaround might bring some old issues back - simply the faulty registry entries could be left.

Regarding a "fixed update", I am with Boathouse and will wait to know more about what issues have been resolved.

Too many things got broken lately...

I find your comments about the leftover registry entries very interesting. I uninstalled 2010 and went back to 2009. After doing that just for the heck of it I searched registry for BD 2010 and found a number of keys. I went to chat to ask them about this, stating that I thot the uninstall tool was supposed to remove these registry entries. I was told that this was ok, that 2009 was apparently just using these 2010 entries in the registry. However, I am having one problem with 2009 that I never had before. Besides that, those 2010 keys should have been gone before I ever installed the 2009. Sure an unsatisfactory answer and I don't even think it was a correct answer.

• Im using BDIS 13.17 . But before this i had to reinstall 2 times because my windows sound only went missing. all i get is click sounds but i cant play any media files(songs and videos) in any player. when i had uninstalled BD the problem had gone. so i reinstalled back and kept auto-updates off (prompt when to download). now i have updated it to 13.17 itself but i dont want to product update it until a proper fix is out.This whole no sound thing gets really annoying

And another thing during game mode that icon doesnt change.

will the new update include fixes for the sound problem, game icon and services updating ?

pls release a fix soon.

Same for problems for me. The Audio is related to device manager trying to load a microsoft audio "something" I looked up the issue but after hours it led me to bitdefender (thought I had a virus). It has been a week since I had the problem. After my first reformat I had sound back, and after installing bitdefender and all the updates, My internet would freeze off and on, my sound stopped working with the same problems so I reformated again, and have not installed bitdefender since. It's been a week and everything is working fine. I keep checking the forms to know when it is safe to install bitdefender. I have download BD IS 2010 13.0.16 from davey's rapid share and will install later.

• this is absolutely ridiculous...i have been a loyal customer for almost 3 years now...and i am furious

so...2010 smells bad....yippee!!!

are they going to release an email notification to solve this update issue they are having?

am i going to need to uninstall bitdefender and then reinstall when all is said and done?

i have an update "fix" that is going on 3 days now

BOLLOCKS

Am I going to get my license period increased because of the faulty product?

I paid for a service, and that service is crap right now.

• I find your comments about the leftover registry entries very interesting. I uninstalled 2010 and went back to 2009. After doing that just for the heck of it I searched registry for BD 2010 and found a number of keys. I went to chat to ask them about this, stating that I thot the uninstall tool was supposed to remove these registry entries. I was told that this was ok, that 2009 was apparently just using these 2010 entries in the registry. However, I am having one problem with 2009 that I never had before. Besides that, those 2010 keys should have been gone before I ever installed the 2009. Sure an unsatisfactory answer and I don't even think it was a correct answer.

I can remember the 2008 product, that would also leave a lot of orphaned entries in the registry , that even some of the registry cleaners would not find, but if they actually caused any major problems i can't say,but i would imagine that as long as all the main keys /values are removed,including the ones associated with the firewall and adapters then there should not be a problem, to stray just a little i once used a different vendors product, and that left registry entries behind after running the clean up tool, when no av product on the machine it would give a balloon tip, saying the"""" firewall is switched off click on icon to fix it,i eventually located it and it also left a driver behind,

• this is absolutely ridiculous...i have been a loyal customer for almost 3 years now...and i am furious

so...2010 smells bad....yippee!!!

are they going to release an email notification to solve this update issue they are having?

am i going to need to uninstall bitdefender and then reinstall when all is said and done?

i have an update "fix" that is going on 3 days now

BOLLOCKS

Am I going to get my license period increased because of the faulty product?

I paid for a service, and that service is crap right now.

I ve been a user for more then 4 Years and youre right an extension to the license period should be normal as we have a Faulty/Buggy Produkt

• I can remember the 2008 product, that would also leave a lot of orphaned entries in the registry , that even some of the registry cleaners would not find, but if they actually caused any major problems i can't say,but i would imagine that as long as all the main keys /values are removed,including the ones associated with the firewall and adapters then there should not be a problem, to stray just a little i once used a different vendors product, and that left registry entries behind after running the clean up tool, when no av product on the machine it would give a balloon tip, saying the"""" firewall is switched off click on icon to fix it,i eventually located it and it also left a driver behind,

If you are interested ... I subscribe to a paid newsletter called InfoAve Premium. It is fantastic. Full of useful tips and tricks, user comments, and usually every issue has a free program which they have tested and find safe, etc. Readers can submit programs to them (both free and paid) and ask that they check them out. I stumbled across a program and submitted it to them. They actually featured it in their newsletter, said it was a great program and thanked me. I haven't personally used it but I have installed it and I think if I have to remove BitDefender again I may try it. It is a program strictly for removing security applications, nothing else, and guarantees to completely remove said programs from your system. It doesn't cover all programs but I know it covers BitDefender. It is called AppRemover. As far as trusting it, if InfoAve recommends it then that's good enough for me. I have subscribed to this newsletter for over 5 years and I trust their advice and recommendations, all the content in their letters, implicitly. It's just a suggestion for anyone who wants to check it out. AppRemover.

• Boathouse
    edited November 2009
    Options

Dear All

Latest update on my open ticket with BD support (issue of "not enough storage" error on switching users (now fixed) and internet pages missing and downloads freezing).

The ###### it does - no change whatsoever. Do these guys actually test ANYTHING!!!!!

Back to the "stable" version pre Nov 1 AGAIN.

What really bugs me is that nowhere do they acknowledge there is a serious problem with the latest update. There should at least be a "sticky" on this forum saying sorry guys all these issues are releated and we're working on it - here's the latest status.

At the moment they must have hundreds of seperate tickets open and apparently no co-ordinated response. They (tech support) even have "try this" attempted fixes in individual threads here. Trying to fix one user's problems at a time is NOT an adequate response to a issue of this magnitude.

Oh sod it, got carried away here, sorry - rant over

• Well where is this update that is going to repair all that needs repairing issues that have been reported documented

?