Bitdefender Antivirus Critical Error

I recently converted my email from Outlook Express to Outlook. Every time I Receive my mail I get the BitDefender Report Wizard telling me that BitDefender Security Service has encountered a critical error. For what it's worth I have submitted the bug report a couple of times. BitDefender does restart successfully, but I would really like to fix the problem.

What can I do?

Using BitDefender AntiVirus 2010

Comments

• Hello David P,

In order to be able to further investigate this issue please follow the steps bellow :

1. Open My Computer.

2. Browse to

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

3. Doubleclick on the supporttool.exe file .(in case you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, right click on the the supporttool.exe file and choose "Run as administrator" )

4. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish .

5. Go to the desktop, upload the report on http://www.sendspace.com/ then send me a PM with the download link or reply to our email with the report attached .

We are looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

• Don't know how that happened.

Any way, thanks for your response Alex. I ran the supporttool.exe. After about 40 minutes of watching the progress bar sit at approximately 30% I got up for a moment. When I returned it was gone. No finish button to push. If there is a report to send back I don't know where it is.

• Hello David P,

We need to have a look on the reports that are automatically created when your BitDefender crashes . That is why, we would like you browse to the next location from your system: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Temp (if you have Windows XP) or C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Temp (Windows Vista or Windows 7) and reply to our email with all the files that you will find there . Also, please send us the following reports : "sysdump.tar", "bdfileinfo.log" and "bdregnode.reg". You may obtain them by following the steps described in the KB article at the address below:http://www.bitdefender.com/KB389 .

The "Temp" folder is hidden and you may need to follow the steps bellow in order to access it :

- go to your "Control Panel" and open "Folder Options";

- then go to the "View" tab and perform the changes listed below:

* check "Display contents of system folders"

* check "Show hidden files and folders"

- click "Apply" and then "OK" to exit.

NOTE: On Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7 you will apply the same steps except for selecting "Display contents of system folders".

We are looking forward to your reply .

Thank you .

• dprizer
    edited December 2009

Alex,

I've sent all of the requested information. The sysdump.exe ran for an hour, give or take a few minutes, but it did end on its own.

Thanks for your help.

• Hello David P,

We have submitted the reports that you have sent us to my colleagues from the Testing team . Until we will release a permanent fix, please follow the steps that we have sent you through the email.

Thank you.

• I've followed the prescribed steps and the critical errors no longer occur.

Thank you.

Looking forward to a permanent fix so I can resume automatic updates.

• Any update on a permanent fix?

These pop-ups for signature or product updates is getting pretty old.