How Can I Stop Bitdef From Automatically Deleting Files

I can't find a way to stop bitdef from deleting files that says it has viruses.

I keep trying to download something, I know it's not a virus but bitdefender says it's a generic trojan and I can't get it downloaded to my computer because bitdefender deletes it while I'm trying to download it because there's a certain file in there it thinks is a virus. Most antivirus apps have an option that will ask you if you want it to be deleted before it deletes it but I can't find anywhere that I can change this setting. I know when you are scanning your computer sometimes it gives you the option to delete or quarantine or ignore but it doesn't give you this option when it catches a virus when bitdef is just running in the background.

If there's an option to change the settings from automatically deleting files please let me know how to change this. If there is not this option then bitdefender has to get one because it's getting annoying.

Comments

• Hello kc#erica,

If you are aware that the file detected by BitDefender is not malicious, you need to disable the BitDefender Real Time Protection then save it. After that, you can add the path where the file was saved to the BitDefender Exclusions from scanning list . Here is the procedure that will help you do this :

1. Open BitDefender and click on Switch to Advanced View.

2. Click on Antivirus then choose the Exclusions tab .

3. Make sure that the option "Exceptions are enabled" is checked then click on the Add button from the right (it is represented by a plus "+" ).

4. The Exclusion Wizard window will appear . At steps 1 choose the option "Do not scan file or folder paths" and hit Next.

5. At steps 2 click on the Browse button and browse to the following location where the file is saved and then click on Ok. Choose Add after the path is displayed . After that click on Next .

6. At steps 3 leave the options as they are and hit Next.

7. At steps 4 leave the option "Select this if you want the scanning task to be started when you click finish" unchecked and then click on Finnish .

Thank you.

• Hello kc#erica,

If you are aware that the file detected by BitDefender is not malicious, you need to disable the BitDefender Real Time Protection then save it. After that, you can add the path where the file was saved to the BitDefender Exclusions from scanning list . Here is the procedure that will help you do this :

1. Open BitDefender and click on Switch to Advanced View.

2. Click on Antivirus then choose the Exclusions tab .

3. Make sure that the option "Exceptions are enabled" is checked then click on the Add button from the right (it is represented by a plus "+" ).

4. The Exclusion Wizard window will appear . At steps 1 choose the option "Do not scan file or folder paths" and hit Next.

5. At steps 2 click on the Browse button and browse to the following location where the file is saved and then click on Ok. Choose Add after the path is displayed . After that click on Next .

6. At steps 3 leave the options as they are and hit Next.

7. At steps 4 leave the option "Select this if you want the scanning task to be started when you click finish" unchecked and then click on Finnish .

Thank you.

Dear Sir....

sure you are kidden !!

what about my data if i lost it ? who could restore my lost data if Bitdefender delete it ?!!

should i know first if bitdefender will see every file on my pc as a virus or not ?!!

i lost about 5 rare programs because bitdefender deleted them as a virus while they were not,,,,,!!!!!

it should be better if it must delete is to move to quarantine not to delete !!!

Bitdefender should find a solution for this ....otherwise i'm going to stop using bitdefender and purchase another program and will recommend my friends to go away from Bitdefender !!

• Mihaela M.
    edited March 2011

Hi eng_samy,

Once deleted, files cannot be restored using BitDefender but you can use free third-party tools to restore the lost data. As an example you can use http://ntfsundelete.com/.

To avoid this situation in the future you can setup BitDefender to take No Action when an infected files is found. In order to do this, you need to open your product in Advanced Mode - > Antivirus -> Virus Scan. Right click on each type of scan and choose Properties. Then click on Custom from Overview and from Action to take when an infected file is found select No Action.

Thank you!