Bd2008 Has Completely Jacked My Computer

My Digital Audio Workstation was in storage for several months, when I got it out and hooked everything back up BD went on a rampage.. it has destroyed my OS.. furthermore it would not allow me to do a repair.. and now it wont allow me to do a fresh install as it has leeched into my bios and will not allow the system files to load... I can't believe this... I know my machine would and could not have a virus as I NEVER surfed with it.

The people at BD have not answered my email for support.. that is why I said screw it and when it wouldn't let me repair decided to just re-install the OS.

I am completely dead in the water and BD has no support number, has not called and most likely doesn't GAS because it's not them that this is costing money and several days worth of installing thousands of dollars in audio software on..

This ###### and I'm ######

Comments

• randallkoller
    edited January 2010

If anybody knows how to get this SW out of my machine and out of my life PLEASE call me 256-627-0952

Thanks, Randall

• Hello Randall,

Could you please post some more details about how exactly "BitDefender destroyed your OS"?

BitDefender, and no other software for that matter, doesn't have any capabilities to "leech" into a system's BIOS. The BIOS is read-only (except for the times you use the BIOS Flash utility).

Furthermore, BitDefender products are built to run on Windows systems. BitDefender 2010 products cannot run on any other platform, and especially they cannot run in BIOS, since BIOS (basic input/output system) is like a firmware interface for the motherboard. The BIOS contains a small hardware memory (where BIOS settings are stored) and a small piece of software which is used to initialize the motherboard components and chipsets whenever the system is powered on.

So, bottom line is that NO 3rd party software can be installed into the BIOS.

So in case you cannot run the installation software from a Windows setup disc, then you should check the BIOS settings (to verify that the system is set up to boot from a CD unit) and/or maybe check if the hardware cables are well plugged into the motherboard connectors. Also, you should check for any other hardware-related problems, using a 3rd party boot-up disc with such specialized tools (like Hiren's Boot CD).

Cris.

• When I hooked everything back up it fired up.. BD said it needed an update in several ares.. I updated the virus stuff first.. it immediatley started panicing and gave me an error about something related to fees in the log... from there on out it has been BSODeahing me.. It has screwed my OS by removing or leeching onto some OS related windows files and will not even allow them to be re-installed... I know it's BD causing all this calamity.. it started minor and as it continues to attack my system, it gave me a BSOD every time I tried to delete it. and I got it deleted after hours of jousting with it in in safe mode.

I've never seen anything like this.. like I said.. at this point it will not even allow me to reformat XP Pro..

• randallkoller
    edited January 2010

I should add I already reseated the ram.. pulled the dongles, checked all the wiring.. reseated the matrox and UAD cards.. It's a BD issue.. NO doubt about that

• Also, as I said, once the operating system is turned off, no windows-based software will run anymore. BitDefender included. Furthermore, no modules from BitDefender are running in SafeMode (no realtime services, no processes, no loaded drivers, no nothing).

So if you continue having problems both in SafeMode and during the boot step (either already installed Windows boot, or Windows setup boot), then it clearly has nothing to do with BitDefender, nor with any other software.

You said that the system was in storage for several months. Are you completely sure that the system's wasn't damaged in any way during that storage period? Maybe high humidity (which could have lead to hardware pieces and/or connectors to corrode), or maybe extreme temperatures (like being left in direct sunlight for a long time), or even high quantities of dust, which might have infiltrated into different parts, like the system's power source, coolers (power source cooler, CPU cooler, video adapter cooler, or any other cooler, radiators and/or any other types of active or passive cooling systems). Or maybe even some parts might have got out of their slots (for this, check RAM modules, graphics adapter, audio adapter, and any other card that is inserted in any type of slot on the motherboard). Also, check all connectors and cables (like the HDD, CD/DVD-rom and other peripherals connection cables).

Also, there might be another problem. Motherboards have a small battery which is used to power the motherboard just enough to run the realtime clock and to keep the BIOS memory under power (so the BIOS parameters are kept). The BIOS memory is volatile, which means that when the power is cut off, all BIOS settings are erased.

The trick is that this small battery eventually gets depleted. And because you kept the system in storage, I assume it wasn't plugged in, which means that all this time, the motherboard used power from it's own battery. Once that battery is depleted, all motherboard and BIOS settings and parameters are completely erased. Once you plug back in the system, the BIOS starts using the factory defaults. And, in this case, the whole system might malfunction, because some BIOS settings which were set for the CPU (for instance), or for the RAM memory, will be set differently, which will make the hardware work in an undesired manner, which, eventually, could make the whole system crash (or not even boot up).

The first sign you should check in this case is to see if the system date and time were reset. If the system date and time were reset to a past date, it clearly means that the BIOS settings were reset. To fix this, you have to buy a new motherboard battery (check the motherboard manual for details about battery type, and how to change it), and also you have to reconfigure the BIOS settings according to your hardware specifications (again, check the motherboard manual, or ask to a specialized service for assistance).

Cris.