Firewall And Local Network

I have a networked HP all-in-one printer/scanner servicing the 3 PCs in my network. Whilst printing hasn't been a problem since I installed BD, other than the fact that the printer was always declared off-line and you had to get in online, other functions (scanning, printer maintenance for example), have not worked. I finally came to the conclusion that the BD firewall was the culprit and that was confirmed by disabling the firewall.

On checking the printer FAQ it mentioned about open UDP traffic on port 423. I can see that there may be ways of doing this in the BD firewall options, but frankly I haven't dared going in there as I am far from confident of what to do.

In any case, rather than opening one port for particular traffic, is there a way of declaring the whole local network as being safe? For example, all traffic from IP addresses in the 192.168.0.* range?

Thanks

Comments

• Hello catandmouse

Open BitDefender Security Center (Expert Mode) and go to Firewall -> Network. There, select from the first list the network adapter for your local network and set it to Trusted Local. Also, set the Stealth Mode option to Remote for that adapter.

Please post if this solves your problem.

Cris.

• Hello catandmouse

Open BitDefender Security Center (Expert Mode) and go to Firewall -> Network. There, select from the first list the network adapter for your local network and set it to Trusted Local. Also, set the Stealth Mode option to Remote for that adapter.

Please post if this solves your problem.

Cris.

Hello Cris,

That was perfect.

It's just a bit of a shame that you have to be a "firewall expert" to do this, as it isn't obvious and I would have expected this kind of situation to be quite frequent.