Windows 7, Action Center Alert - Wscfxav.exe

I've recently done clean installs of windows 7 on 2 different systems, both new, one desktop and one laptop.

I've gotten cryptic messages on both machines, from the alert center on start up saying Bitdefender is not running. I can see that it IS running and appears to be updating as normal, however the message from action center is

Bitdefender is not running, allow wscfxav.exe? To which I allow.

On occasion, it says there is no antivirus installed on this computer. Again, Bitdefender seems to be running.

If I simply do nothing and wait, the messages in Action center dissappear by themselves in approx. 10 -30 minutes.

This is obviously a communication error between bitdefender and windows alerts, however, is it actually blocking wscfxav.exe? What is the purpose of this exe?

Comments

• Are you sure that's wscfxav.exe and not wscfxas.exe because wscfxav is not a BitDefender file,rather a virus.

• I recently bought a copy of BitDefender Antivirus 2010 and installed it on my Laptop running Windows 7 Pro - it is a relatively new installation (about 1 week). Did not have any prior antivirus installed on it.

I too am facing the same problem. I am given the option to enable it through windows action center, but clicking on it does nothing to remove the message.

The Icon of BitDefender however seems to be red and shows that it is fully functional. I am thinking it is a communication problem between bitdefender and windows action center, but I don't know for sure.

Would be nice to have a solution for this.

Thanks

• Hello Creedless & ###,

In order to solve the Windows Security Center issue, please follow the steps below:

1. Go to Control Panel and open Administrative tools.

2. Double click on Services.

3. Please find the Security Center line.

4. Double click on it and check if you have the Stop option. If you do, please select it. Then make sure that the Startup type is set on Automatic (delayed)

5. Find the Windows Management Instrumentation line.

6. Stop it and set it to Automatic Startup type.

7. You can now close the Services window.

5. Please browse to C:\Windows\System32\wbem and remove the Repository folder.

6. Reboot and check if the issue still occurs.

Please let us know if the situation still occurs after following the steps above.

Thank you.

• psymike666
    edited March 2010

Hi,

I use Windows vista home premium 32 bits, and i have exactly the same problem mencionned above. I have the security center warning but my bitdefender also wont let update or enable automatic update.

I tried to solve to problem as indicated above but when it comes to remove the repository folder, it tells me that i cant remove it cause it's being used by another program..

Can somebody please help me?

• Hello Creedless & ###,

In order to solve the Windows Security Center issue, please follow the steps below:

1. Go to Control Panel and open Administrative tools.

2. Double click on Services.

3. Please find the Security Center line.

4. Double click on it and check if you have the Stop option. If you do, please select it. Then make sure that the Startup type is set on Automatic (delayed)

5. Find the Windows Management Instrumentation line.

6. Stop it and set it to Automatic Startup type.

5. Please browse to C:\Windows\System32\wbem and remove the Repository folder.

Please let us know if the situation still occurs after following the steps above.

Thank you.

Those fixed it for me. Thanks =)

• Hello ###,

We are glad to notice that the issue you were dealing with was solved. Please let us know if we can assist you with anything else.

Thank you.

• I get a very similar thing to the above - Security Centre does not recognise Bitdefender at all on random startups.

Clicking on the bubble messages to enable bitdefender does not work - however to get rid of the Security centre messages I can open up bitdefender, and turn off real time scanning in the anti virus section, then turn it back on and Windows picks it up. So for some reason some registry settings are not going through properly on startup.

Have tried the above recommendations and tried reinstalling, am running as admin and have tried running at different compatibility levels.

Am running Commodo Firewall but in Firewall mode only - and Win7 has no problems recognising that.

Win 7 64 Home Premium on an Intel i7 6GB RAM new build.

• hello, i'm also having the same problem, tried the solution posted above, but it still doesn't work, the action centre just shows 2 message, update bitdefender antispyware and update bitdefender antivirus, but both of them are already updated in btidefender itself... i'm having bitdefender total security 2010 and using widnwos 7 64 bit... the virus definition is 5831702 and the negine version is 7.31555..

• Hello confused_dude,

Keep in mind that the virus signatures should be 5968894 and the Engine version 7.31737. Update BitDefender as explained below and let me know if the issue still persist:

1. Double click on the BitDefender's icon to open the Security Center.

2. Switch to 'Expert Mode' from the 'Settings' button.

3. Go to the UPDATE tab.

4. Click on 'Update Now' button

Please confirm that the issue has been resolved.

Regards,

• Hello confused_dude,

Keep in mind that the virus signatures should be 5968894 and the Engine version 7.31737. Update BitDefender as explained below and let me know if the issue still persist:

1. Double click on the BitDefender's icon to open the Security Center.

2. Switch to 'Expert Mode' from the 'Settings' button.

3. Go to the UPDATE tab.

4. Click on 'Update Now' button

Please confirm that the issue has been resolved.

Regards,

I've tried both of these solutions, neither works. I'm using virus sigs 9324041 and engine 7.39847

• Hello

Do you have installed Bitdefender 2010?

You can always upgrade for free to Bitdefender 2012:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=190&id=42

Thank you.

• Hello,

I have Bitdefender Internet Security 2011 and Windows 7 32bit.

I have black hair, yellow teeth and a small goldfish called "Fools Gold" (sorry dont know what else you need)

I have the exact same problem. I have the Windows Security Center flag with a red cross.

When clicking on there it shows me 3 errors i.e.

1. Turn on Windows Defender (Important)

2. Find an Antivirus program online (Important)

3. Turn on Windows Firewall (Important)

I tried your solution (as quoted in this post), Carmen, but there's no change.

One other thing i might mention that i didn't see the other users mention (which is my main concern actually),...sometimes when windows starts up the Bitdefender icon really isn't where it normally shows, implying that it did not start up. This is what made me think that the windows security center flag might actually be correct in highlighting the Bitdefender problem and that there might in actual fact be something wrong with Bitdefender.

Appreciate your assistance.

Hello

Creedless
    &

###

In order to solve the
    Windows Security Center
    issue, please follow the steps below:

1. Go to
    Control Panel
    and open
    Administrative tools

2. Double click on
    Services

3. Please find the
    Security Center
    line.

4. Double click on it and check if you have the
    Stop
    option. If you do, please select it. Then make sure that the
    Startup type
    is set on
    Automatic (delayed)

5. Find the
    Windows Management Instrumentation
    line.

6. Stop it and set it to
    Automatic Startup type

5. Please browse to
    C:\Windows\System32\wbem
    and remove the
    Repository
    folder.

Thank you.

Those fixed it for me. Thanks =)

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited December 2012

Hello

Have you tried this?

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=190&id=42

Thank you.