Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Win32.virtob.v Issue

Options

Hi Folks,

BD 10 (free edition) is telling me I have Win32.Virtob.V infecting pretty much every .exe. file on my computer (well, all the ones the virus got to before I discovered what was going on and killed the system process being used to infect files on the PC.

When I look up these Virtob viruses in the database on the BD site it says to use BD to disinfect the files. Yet BD is not able to disinfect them. It is failing. My only option then is to delete them (or quarantine them, or leave them there). But I can't delete them as that will render the system, requiring a complete reinstall. I'd rather not reinstall the system as I use this machine heavily (with quite a range of applications) and it takes days to get it back to the way I like it.

Is there any tool available to disinfect this virus? What do you suggest I do?

With thanks,

Jonathan

Comments

• I note that other AV products have different names for this virus:

ClamAV = W32.Virut.Gen.B

Kaspersky AVP = Virus.Win32.Cheburgen.a

• When I look up other names for Virus.Win32.Cheburgen.a

I found

Virus.Win32.Cheburgen.a (Kaspersky Lab) is also known as: PWS-LegMir.gen (McAfee), PWSteal.Lemir.Gen (Symantec), Trojan.PWS.Legmir.875 (Doctor Web), TSPY_LEGMIR.AVS (Trend Micro), TR/Legmir.S (H+BEDV), Win32:Trojan-gen. (ALWIL), PSW.Legendmir.13.BP (Grisoft), Trojan.PWS.Lmir.VY (SOFTWIN), Win32/PSW.Legendmir.NBG (Eset)

Over at: http://www.viruslist.com/en/viruses/encycl...?virusid=156259

• I've just encountered this issue. If you check BT's quarantine files all the infected files should be quarantined. First you have to find your windows boot disk (XP boot disk) and then delete all the .exe files that are infected. After this reboot and boot using the XP boot disk after you've reached the main screen go to install XP. It'll then check for previous versions and ask if you wish to repair, say yes to that option and it'll copy all the system files from the cd onto your system32 folder and other system folders. After doing this make sure you reinstall all your software as the .exe files are probably removed. However the bright side is: You lost no files.

Any more questions?

Contact at: jamez_hong@hotmail.com or PM me

• I've just encountered this issue. If you check BT's quarantine files all the infected files should be quarantined. First you have to find your windows boot disk (XP boot disk) and then delete all the .exe files that are infected. After this reboot and boot using the XP boot disk after you've reached the main screen go to install XP. It'll then check for previous versions and ask if you wish to repair, say yes to that option and it'll copy all the system files from the cd onto your system32 folder and other system folders. After doing this make sure you reinstall all your software as the .exe files are probably removed. However the bright side is: You lost no files.

Any more questions?

Contact at: jamez_hong@hotmail.com or PM me

Thanks for the suggestion James.

Over the last day or two I have managed to sort this virus out.

BitDefender, ClamAV, NOD32, and others, were not able to clean this win32.virut.5 (it have various names). Then someone suggested I try Dr.Web.

Looking at the Dr Web site I see they had a news item saying that they know about the virut.5 virus and they appear to be the only system that will actually clean it. I ran their free CureIT edition of their scanner and sure enough it cleaned up over 2500 exe files.

Hopefully BitDefender and others (like NOD32 which is what I use as a resident AV) do an update for this virus. Within a matter of hours it had infected my entire computer. I am thankful I did not have to replace and repair windows etc.

With my regards,

Jonathan

• Thanks for the suggestion James.

BitDefender, ClamAV, NOD32, and others, were not able to clean this win32.virut.5 (it have various names). Then someone suggested I try Dr.Web.

Looking at the Dr Web site I see they had a news item saying that they know about the virut.5 virus and they appear to be the only system that will actually clean it. I ran their free CureIT edition of their scanner and sure enough it cleaned up over 2500 exe files.

Hopefully BitDefender and others (like NOD32 which is what I use as a resident AV) do an update for this virus. Within a matter of hours it had infected my entire computer. I am thankful I did not have to replace and repair windows etc.

With my regards,

Jonathan

• Thanks for the suggestion James.

With my regards,

Jonathan

Got ya ;)

Cheers!

• CURE IT WORK BEAUTIFULLY I RAN IT ON MY NERO WHICH WAS INFECTED WITH THIS VIRUS. AFTER I CURED IT I RERAN BD ON IT TO MAKE SURE IT WAS ALSET AND BD FOUND NOTHING

THANKS A BUNCH