Bad Update Or....? - Solution Here: Http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18789

L.o.D.
L.o.D. ✭✭
edited March 2010 in Bitdefender 2010 products

Anyone else have BD going ballistic today?

Mine's suddenly telling me it's blocking viruses left right & center when I had no issues prior.

I am currently scanning with malwarebytes.

Comments

• Anyone else have BD going ballistic today?

Mine's suddenly telling me it's blocking viruses left right & center when I had no issues prior.

I am currently scanning with malwarebytes.

Since an Update it's telling me I've "FakeAlert.5" in mostly every file?!

That's impossible.

• I seen that as well.

• Since an Update it's telling me I've "FakeAlert.5" in mostly every file?!

That's impossible.

It's telling me that BitDefender's own .dlls and such are viruses.

Along with numerous other essential files in system32 and syswow64.

Update is definitely botched. Until its fixed, turn off your realtime protection to save your own computer from deleting itself to death.

• Hello all,

Please provide the exact detection name and the file location.

Also if possible please send me by PM a sample file.

Cris.

• This is happening to me, too. EVERY file that is trying to run is getting quarantined. Windows Explorer and even Bitdefender update itself is being quarantined. Someone really screwed this one up.

• Hello all,

Please provide the exact detection name and the file location.

Also if possible please send me by PM a sample file.

Cris.

problem is, there is at least 50 files in quarantine that BitDefender relegated as a malware.

• cristi, it's trojan.fakealert.s for me.

• I'm getting this too. Before I could shut off BitDefender it quarantined most of my system, including BitDefender itself!

What do I do? Most programs do not work. The computer barely booted (did some kind of repair first).

How do I unquarantine the files without BitDefender?

HELP!

• Bitdefender is going crazy today!!!... it blocks all the EXE files including cmd.exe....the trojan name called fake5

Hurry up...we need fixes soon

I've turned the realtime protection!!

• haha...

File C:\Windows\System32\de-DE\ws2_32.dll.mui

Date: Saturday, 20. March 2010 17:00:01

Virusname: Trojan.FakeAlert.5

Action: Moved to Quarantane

(I've the german version so...tried to translate it)

Same for

C:\Windows\System32\de-DE\audiodg.exe.mui

C:\Windows\System32\de-DE\dwm.exe.mui

C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstres.dll

AND now the funniest thing:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\Bitdefender 2010\vsserv.exe

Action: blocked

I deactivated my antivirus now...

• this is ridiculous. We paid for a program to protect our computer, but it instead obliterates our system from the inside. Literally.

• Same Issue here, i want to start some programm and this messages popups. I have also deactivated now the AntiVirus Part of Bitdefender. I hope there is soon a updated and fixed Virus Pattern.

• Trojan.FakeAlert.5

Both computers after last update.

So many system files moved to Quarantine (where is Quarantine? can't find it) I dare not restart my PC since it will not boot again since windows installer is one of the files blitzed.

Example

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\en-US\msxml3r.dll

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\en-US\netcenter.dll

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\en-US\main.cpl

explorer.exe

wermgr.exe

C:\Program Files\Bitdefender 2010\updatepatch.exe

Way to many to pull off.

• malwarebytes is not finding anything at all.

• Mine is doing the exact same thing as well. This is very frustrating. . .

A quick fix for this would be much appreciated.

• Mine is doing the exact same thing as well. This is very frustrating. . .

A quick fix for this would be much appreciated.

Any quick fix won't work since it quarantines the update exe

• The same problem here on my PC:

Around 50 Files are moved to Quarantine.

Reason also: Trojan.FakeAlert.5

Because my PC didn't respond well i tried to reboot it.

Now it doesn't start anymore because of missing system files.

Is there a chance to move the files back with the Rescue CD?

Or what is the best way to get my PC running again?

• Wolfspirit
    edited March 2010
    Any quick fix won't work since it quarantines the update exe

ROFL!

Sorry...but it's kind of funny...

I'm so happy, that it quarantied only 3 system files for me, before I turned it off....

I tried to play them back...but they are still existing...

I hope it's working on restart...

Isn't it possible to unquarantine the update.exe and turn off the virusscan before?

• Are you guys on Windows 7 64bit? The same thing is being posted on the German forum and that's the thing they have in common.

• Yes, I am on Win7 64bit.

• ROFL!

Sorry...but it's kind of funny...

I'm so happy, that it quarantied only 3 system files for me, before I turned it off....

I tried to play them back...but they are still exist...

I hope it's working on restart...

Isn't it possible to unquarantine the update.exe and turn off the virusscan before?

Yeah, this is what I did. I restored all files that weren't already restored automatically, turned off AV, and now I'm playing the waiting game for an update.

• That's correct - Windows 7 64-bit

• Are you guys on Windows 7 64bit? The same thing is being posted on the German forum and that's the thing they have in common.

My PC is Vista 64-Bit.

There is a German Forum?

Then I will look there.

Yes. Two desktops.

• I'm also running Vista 64 bit.

• also windwos 7 64bit here.

• Wolfspirit
    edited March 2010

So it seems, it's only affecting 64bit vista and win7 at the moment

• Still running malwarebytes & nothing found.

• Can someone tell me how to get the files out of quarantine? I can't find it buy browsing.

• herman_melville
    edited March 2010
    Still running malwarebytes & nothing found.

so can we safely presume that BitDefender, a program that we paid for to protect our computer, is deleting our computer to death bit by bit?

• Yes, I am on Win7 64bit.

Same here both win7 64bit home and ultimate bitdefender crashed my home pc and my laptop started to scan but I pulled the plug now its fine. on laptop but my home pc cant recover. I get "Login process initialization failure." They better have a fix for this or there are going to be ###### off customers. Soon as the update completed it my pc went crazy flaging everything as a a fake5 viruse.

• More files going down the pughole

• so can we safely presume that BitDefender, a program that we paid for to protect our computer, is deleting our computer to death bit by bit?

Right.

Nobody is perfect so...I think it was a wrong signature, causing a false positive.

Something like that is happening to most of the other Virusscanners more often then to bitdefender....

• WallyFtw
    edited March 2010

I also am experiencing this problem. I can't even launch my web browser cuz it thinks its a virus. Trojan.FakeAlert.5 I believe was the exact name. I'm on my Ubuntu OS right now, thank god for that. I'm also running Windows 7-64Bit running BD Total Security 2010. BD Team, you've proved yourself before with quick fixes, now show us you can it again. ;D

• Right.

Nobody is perfect so...I think it was a wrong signature, causing a false positive.

Something like that is happening to most of the other Virusscanners more often then to bitdefender....

But something so destructive?

I'm on Vista 64bit

• The problem is only affecting users of the x64 versions of BitDefender.

A fix will be delivered via automatic updates as soon as possible.

Please disable the real time scanning feature until further notice.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

• hey,

I just registered that forum just to tell you guys that my 2 computers running win 7 x64 are affected, that started at 12pm EST

my first computer has about 50 system files quarantine that I cant restore, the 2nd has 2

both are now antivirus disabled

I really find that unacceptable to have that type of bug on a purchased antivirus, and it's not a feature! (lol :s)

anyone has any idea how people with no knowledge in IT will be able to restore their system? :S

• ...A fix will be delivered via automatic updates as soon as possible.

Please tell me how this will fix the problem when BitDefender itself has been quarantined?

• The problem is only affecting users of the x64 versions of BitDefender.

A fix will be delivered via automatic updates as soon as possible.

Please disable the real time scanning feature until further notice.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

In 46 minutes I'll be in breach of contract. I'm sure this apology will be used by the other party as well.

• Running Windows 7 x64, BD 2010 total security, Engine version 7.30856, last update 5 minutes ago.

All Microsoft Office exe's and .dll's are marked as Trojan.Fake.Alert.5

Windows Media Player is marked as the same thing. Likewise for vsserv.exe (from the legit bitdefender folder).

Random windows .dll' in the system32 folder are being marked the same. Please fix this soon, I have to turn off BD to work.

• hey,

I just registered that forum just to tell you guys that my 2 computers running win 7 x64 are affected, that started at 12pm EST

my first computer has about 50 system files quarantine that I cant restore, the 2nd has 2

both are now antivirus disabled

I really find that unacceptable to have that type of bug on a purchased antivirus, and it's not a feature! (lol :s)

anyone has any idea how people with no knowledge in IT will be able to restore their system? :S

There is a "restore" option in the quarantine tab. You can restore all the false positive viruses that way (unless you set the default behavior to auto-delete... then I think you're out of luck).

The restore function works fine for me, although I have to disable the real time virus scanner for the files not to be re-detected quickly.

Also note that Windows automatically restores some of these files... if the file already exists, you shouldn't need to force an overwrite.

P.S. I'm annoyed as heck at this issue, too... Win7 x64 ultimate here... hope the fix comes soon and BD can apply it without thinking it is a virus.

• ineedhelp
    edited March 2010

I just registered like 1 minute ago just for this problem.

I have no idea how it happened but everything is getting quarantined for no apparent reason.

I can't access the Task Manager. Can't open up any programs. BitDefender keeps reporting this Trojan.FakeAlert.5 virus.

CMD isn't working and I can't get to the regedit program. Nothings working for me.

I'm currently running Windows 7 x64. Two similar threads are here.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/security-c...ealert-5-a.html

http://www.kaldata.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=152039 (Use Google Translate if you can't understand it)

• I really find that unacceptable to have that type of bug on a purchased antivirus, and it's not a feature! (lol :s)

Dude relax. F/Ps can happen with any & all antivirus applications.

It'll be fixed soon enough.

• Same problem here, bd went crazy and quarantined around 10-20 files, got the core files so my computer still runs, but printing, pdf's and a few other things aren't working.

oh and mine quarantined itself aswell xD everyone else got the same 'txmlutil.dll is missing from your computer' thing?

i'm on win7x64

so how are we meant to update when bd doesn't even work?

• There is a "restore" option in the quarantine tab. You can restore all the false positive viruses that way (unless you set the default behavior to auto-delete... then I think you're out of luck).

dude I can't restore, please see attached! :(

post-32182-1269105602_thumb.jpg

• yoshifumu, they can either do the auto update or issue an update via the .exe file found here.

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/view/Deskt...ts-Updates.html

• Win 64 bit here.. Everything has melted down. I am really disapointed with response. this has been like 24 hours now

• Hye

here's the same problem, shitdefender quarantined all items

uninstalling and waiting for an answer

Bye

Dad from France

• Win 64 bit here.. Everything has melted down. I am really disapointed with response. this has been like 24 hours now

You claim it's been 24hrs yet it was only reported about an hour ago.

If you had this issue that long, why didn't you not report it earlier?