Bad Update Or....? - Solution Here: Http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18789

Comments

• MARVIC_NL
    edited March 2010

I see an official posting now :

click here

I think it will help some people, but I find it quite "too good to be true"....

• htf74
    edited March 2010

To all:

if your win 7 became corrupted (or even without pb...), try the following "magic" command in Admin mode before any restore (Click on Start, type CMD in the Search field. Right click on CMD and select run in admin mode (not sure of the wording, I have a french win 7...) :

sfc /scannow

it takes a while and next you have to reboot your PC but usually it does miracles...

Good luck,

Bruno

• I'm not getting the xx56 either, still stuck at 7.30848. This is total BS, the most popular thread here is one that is caused by a GROSS oversight. This shows that you do not test your updates at all, anyone testing it on an x64 computer would have seen those problems. Been with BD for three years, you can count me with Kaspersky or NOD32 next renewal if I don't get compensation for this.

Oh, and brilliant idea, use system restore. Except a virus (that BD couldn't detect) was able to turn it off months ago, and there is no way to reenable it without reinstalling Windows. Alright, time to check out Kasperky's deals.

I read a forum post where a user talked with the support and they suggest him to use weekly.exe

You can find it at http://www.bitdefender.com/KB625-en--Manua...weekly.exe.html

• And still no word...

• FFS can someone post a link here for the manual update files. What engine version is the safe one? Mine is 7.30848.

• This is what really bothers me. It's almost as they are trying to sweep a couch underneath a rug and hope no one notices.

I've read through all these pages and many of the mistakes people have committed would have been avoided if the bitdefender people would spread the word on what to do; and most importantly, what not to do.

I so agree Fake.

The handling of this situation has been poor. There are some legitimate questions that are re-surfacing and no BitDefender rep has responded.

• I see an official posting now :

click here

useless, my computer boot_s fine, so last known good config is now.

can't restore, and BD doesn't start...

so yer...

• What happened to a couple hours?I'll just come back tonight ,I guess.It prolly still won't be fixed

• Umm...no. When someone sees an Antivirus program report that they have files infected with a virus then they will allow the program to do what it will with the file. They will not call support - why should they? - they program is doing what it is supposedly designed to do. When the program hoses not only the OS but also itself then do some of us will naturally try to do a restore since WE DIDN'T KNOW THAT IT WASN'T A VIRUS BUT THE AV PROGRAM ITSELF. Did you get an email from BD stating such? Did BD post anything on their website or support site? NO!

So stop trying to defend BD by putting down users who weren't as lucky as you. Not all of us are tech gurus. We use our computers to get work done and don't have enough time in the day to babysit every program that we have installed.

Hey man, don't buy weed if you don't know how to roll a joint.

• Astrat
    edited March 2010

When I turned on my networked PC's this morning I was greeted on all of them with these same issues. WINDOWS 7 WOULD NOT BOOT UP. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO USE WINDOWS RECOVERY CD's...FIRST TRY TURNING OFF MODEM...NOT ROUTER.

I was able to sucessfully start WINDOWS 7 AFTER DOING THIS. THEN TURN ON MODEM. I have applied updates and rebooted and now I am getting an error of missing bdguictl.dll try re-installing program...NEW ISSUE. WTF!

REINSTALLED BitDefender and all is working properly. I never had to do a thing with quarentined files

click here

Great! Thanks...

I cannot restore the vast majority of my Quarentined files because BD won't do it. So, I am probably screwed...

Perfectly good computer, shot in the head by the Cop protecting her...

• What happened to a couple hours?I'll just come back tonight ,I guess.It prolly still won't be fixed

The offical posting is garbage! I tried them,Still wont boot! PURE BS!

click here

BUMP

click here

Seriously? What about the warnings that come with doing the above? Digging a hole for yourselfs here.

BEWARNED: DOING THE ABOVE COULD CAUSE LOSS OF FILES OR INSTALLED APPLICATIONS.

Whilst I do appreciate the solution. What about the people who can not even start there PC?

• Meanwhile I'm reading Misery Loves Comedy (Ivan Brunetti).

I'm sure he'd have something to say about this situation.

Ha well, back to waiting for this fix to come up.

• Found this hiding away on BD's US pages, no wonder I couldn't find anything here there's f'all about this on the UK site.

Due to a recent update it is possible that BitDefender detects several Windows and BitDefender files as infected with Trojan.FakeAlert.5 .

In order to solve this issue you will have to perform these steps:

- open the BitDefender interface in Expert Mode

- go to the Antivirus tab and disable the Realtime Protection permanently.

- go to the Quarantine tab and restore all items that are detected as Trojan.FakeAlert.5.

- reboot your PC

- open BitDefender in Expert Mode

- go to the Update tab and run an update.

- wait for the update to finish and enable the Realtime Protection that was disabled earlier.

If, however, your Windows can no longer boot properly you will need to perform one of the 2 actions below:

1. Use Last Known Good Configuration

- reboot your PC and press F8 repeatedly until you reach a text menu

- choose the last option on the bottom of the page named Last Known Good Configuration

2. Use System Restore - Windows 7/ Vista users check this article

- Windows XP users check this article

• useless, my computer boot_s fine, so last known good config is now.

can't restore, and BD doesn't start...

so yer...

for the category of people whose pc are running fine (meaning they can boot, for me, some games stopped running) but cannot run BD itself, since it quarantined itself (that really makes me laugh), shoul we try to restore our system or wait for the (just once) mentioned patch that would correct the situation, get bd running, update itself and restore the quarantined files?

• I use bitdefender for more than four years and I recomanded it to my school and my friends. I'm afraid if monday they will tell me that they can't start any more their computers.

Is I see, after loosing the control over the browsers (they are grayed, as the progrman is gone), no information form the Internet could be accessed. So their could be thousands or even more peoples who are now in dark. Also, the usual user have no skills to recover lost files. A recovery program is now very necesarry, not only the usual update (does the bitdefender work any more?)

Lately unfortunatelly bitdefender started to be a little lazzy, I have send two absolutely normal bat files which where also signaled as infected, nothing has changed, the antivirus show them still as infected. I had lately manny false alerts with commercially installed program. Does bitdefender has some test computers with many usual programs, both 32 and 64 versions, for test such false alarms? Btw, today the first so called infected programs was a poor PowerPoint. Sending updates who think PowerPoint being infected is a VERY SLOPPY work, something which could called a very not checked work. Does Romania lost his last trainded IT spet under the very improper governamental economical decisions? That's the risk to buy good stuff from countries which just were on the top. Poor countries could not afford to pay well the trained and skilled work force, an Roumania is such a going down country

post-32509-1269121841_thumb.jpg

• Found this hiding away on BD's US pages, no wonder I couldn't find anything here there's f'all about this on the UK site.

FIRST TRY TURNING OFF MODEM...NOT ROUTER. Reboot PC. This may work for a lot of people.

• Hey man, don't buy weed if you don't know how to roll a joint.

Are you saying we shouldn't buy computer unless we're top notch gurus and 1337 haxors?

• Meanwhile I'm reading Misery Loves Comedy (Ivan Brunetti).

I'm sure he'd have something to say about this situation.

Ha well, back to waiting for this fix to come up.

Im not concerned about losing what data i have, Its all on disc,but I am however concerned that my comp wont boot or cd rom wont open,I get to windowsboot manager and it says ,windows failed to load because the kernel is missing or corrupt,thats as far as I can get!

• are you a romanian ezragsit?

• Gahh, by the time I posted that someone already posted it several pages previous.

• Hopefully this won't get lost in the shuffle......what should I do about quarantined files if my computer is now fine and working well with no problems....just a boatload of files still in quarantine.

• The problem is only affecting users of the x64 versions of BitDefender.

A fix will be delivered via automatic updates as soon as possible.

Please disable the real time scanning feature until further notice.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

And as Im in a foul mood lets bring this question to light: Phara-phrasing.... Ok So I came to this forum and got told to turn my virus scanner real time protection off. So what about the virus's that got in during this time? Hmmm... And at no time did this so called 'admin' post again to instruct people to turn there real time scanner back on. Odear me...

+1 to there troubles.

• Yes...I know there's about a million post already. But since BD isn't notifying potentially effected users, cut/paste this news article to your friends...

http://news-live.net/bug-attacked-bitdefen...utions-315.html

If you’re running Windows Vista 64-bit or 64 bit and windows Seven with antivirus Bitdefender 9 or 10, Your computer might get infected by virus Trojan.FakeAlert.5 , putting your computer upside down.

On the website of Bitdefender virus reporting of Real-time Virus Reporting – Last 24 hours you can catch the details of :

Virus name Infected files

Trojan.FakeAlert.5 84.07%

If your Bitdefender has not yet updated, disable the update as soon as possible. In case you fell into the trap of the analysis system and you put the offending files in quarantine => you’re in deep problem. There Pc will have to move heavy artillery.

Solution 1: If you do not reboot the PC: Start by stopping the virus => tab “Antivirus” and uncheck “Realtime Protection” in the upper left. The coputor asks you how long => put “Always.” Do the same with the update. Also in the Antivirus section, go to the tab “Quarantine” and restore files by selecting those you want to restore. Some system files are restored automatically. It will essentially restore the various programs you use on your computer. You just have to wait for an update of Bitdefender … if indeed you want to keep as Bitdefender Antivirus.

Solution 2: You’ve “reset”, and Windows does most launches. You have tried safe mode but nothing works. Now, have to do a system restore. To do so, pull out your DVD of Windows 7, put it in drive and reboot the computer on the DVD (If your PC does not boot on the drive first, we must go into the Bios, under ‘ Startup “and put the DVD player 1). Once the installation starts, do not select “Install Windows 7″ but “Repair a Windows partition 7″ (or something like that) that appears in the lower left corner. Then choose a restore point (20/03/2010 obviously not;)).Once the restore point is, remove the DVD drive and restart the PC. Normally Windows 7 will launch normally.

Finally at least me it worked. Once Windows has restarted, go to Solution 1 (Disable the antivirus and updating, and restoring quarantined files).

Note that you can also restore from file system backup. However if the backup was on a medium on which BitDefender has quarantined files, this restoration may not work.

Solution 3: Format and reinstall everything to own. Yes it is the ugliest, but I think many will have to spend.

It remains to wait for an update of the virus, hoping that the program has not done too much damage to your system. In my opinion, Bitdefender may have taken a blow to its reputation.

• I AM USING BITDEFENDER INTERNET SECURITY 2009..

ON A VISTA 64 OS

SUFFERED THE SAME CRASH AS EVERYONE ELSE.

APPARENTLY MOST PEOPLE ON THIS THREAD ARE USING BD 2010.

IS THE UPDATE APPLICABLE ALSO TO BD INTERNET SECURITY 2009????

THINGS ARE PRETTY BAD AS THEY ARE AND THE BD TECH PEOPLE ARE SIMPLY NOT GIVING ANY SUBSTANTIAL ANSWERS.

WORK, DOCUMENTS, SOFTWARE AND MORE WERE LOST ALREADY WHEN PEOPLE STARTED PANICKING..

BUT STILL NO RELIABLE FEEDBACK....

BITEDEFENDER SHOULD SPEAK AND STAND UP TO THIS HUGE ERROR.

• brockwilliams
    edited March 2010
    I AM USING BITDEFENDER INTERNET SECURITY 2009..

ON A VISTA 64 OS

SUFFERED THE SAME CRASH AS EVERYONE ELSE.

APPARENTLY MOST PEOPLE ON THIS THREAD ARE USING BD 2010.

IS THE UPDATE APPLICABLE ALSO TO BD INTERNET SECURITY 2009????

THINGS ARE PRETTY BAD AS THEY ARE AND THE BD TECH PEOPLE ARE SIMPLY NOT GIVING ANY SUBSTANTIAL ANSWERS.

WORK, DOCUMENTS, SOFTWARE AND MORE WERE LOST ALREADY WHEN PEOPLE STARTED PANICKING..

BUT STILL NO RELIABLE FEEDBACK....

BITEDEFENDER SHOULD SPEAK AND STAND UP TO THIS HUGE ERROR

I'm using the same system as you and same year. I was thinking I was one of only a few using 2009.

• MY SYSTEM JUST RECOVERED ITSELF AFTER 5 ATTEMPTS! I had done a system restore which stopped Windows from starting at all repeated startup repairs failed but finally after running it from a command line my system recovered. If you have a good restore point, you should eventually be able to recover.

Where do I send my refund request? This has to be the biggest failure of any antivirus provider in history!

• This is what really bothers me. It's almost as they are trying to sweep a couch underneath a rug and hope no one notices.

I've read through all these pages and many of the mistakes people have committed would have been avoided if the bitdefender people would spread the word on what to do; and most importantly, what not to do.

yup, this is what really bothers me, too. i have managed to save both of my computers running bitdefender (check my previous rant, my first post on forum) but i have a certain level of expertise regular users don't have. this really seems like a "under rug swept" scenario when it should be no holds barred, e-mails and rss feeds and whatnot flying all over the freakin' internet from bitdefender support, at least with info that a certain malfunction has been detected. you absolutely *have* to take care of your customers, by way of communicating with them and updating them on the status. and by that i don't mean an occasional post on a forum, they should've sent out an e-mail, why do we give them our info when registering the software if they're not going to notify me that shi* has hit the fan?

• Irony: On the BD WorldWide site, there is a banner that proudly proclaims "Cybercriminals are smart, good thing we're smarter." Bad timing, BD, bad timing!

• MY SYSTEM JUST RECOVERED ITSELF AFTER 5 ATTEMPTS! I had done a system restore which stopped Windows from starting at all repeated startup repairs failed but finally after running it from a command line my system recovered. If you have a good restore point, you should eventually be able to recover.

Where do I send my refund request? This has to be the biggest failure of any antivirus provider in history!

What's the command line? BD reduced my system restore to system ignore.

• Are you saying we shouldn't buy computer unless we're top notch gurus and 1337 haxors?

No, I'm saying people should learn a bit about things that they use in every day life, so when the brown gooey stuff hits the fan they know what to do. Would you honestly feel safe going for a long road trip if you KNEW that you dind't know how to change a tire, or top up your oil? If your answer is "screw that, I just call my AAA", then why didn't you call BD in the first place.

Anyway, I'm done. I think the joint I just rolled is going to smoke itself if I don't.

• What's the command line? BD reduced my system restore to system ignore.

I tried the command line in safe mode, safe mode and the other 3-4 options, NONE WORK! Dayammmm

• Some people have posted how they fixed the trojan.alert in the comments section here:

http://bit.ly/b8Q59P. :)

• Are you saying we shouldn't buy computer unless we're top notch gurus and 1337 haxors?

You go into war without knowing how to use your gun....well, good luck.

• Chimel
    edited March 2010

@brockwilliams, andre1990, holymoly, TheBigPJ

There is no need to wait for a patch to fix the quarantine restore error messages, there won't be one soon, since it is by (bad) design.

The 2 error boxes you get when restoring quarantined files are normal.

The first error box asks you if it's OK to overwrite the duplicate files, answer yes or no, it shouldn't matter (I answered yes) because they aren't actual duplicate files, only duplicate file name entries (after Windows restored these files on its own). Make sure the checkbox to apply this answer to all matching items is selected.

The second error box says it couldn't find such a file in such a path, which is also normal as the file was already restored for the first entry. I selected "Cancel", no need to "Browse".

Or something like that.

Still no mention of Trojan.FakeAlert.5 in BD Press Center home page, this is seriously bad PR...

• ezragsit
    edited March 2010
    are you a romanian ezragsit?

yes, I am and I know that we have such desasterous economical decisions lately, that everything young enough to be mobile... moves avay. Why work in a country whose prime-minister says that an income of one thousand dollars is shameless...

I still don't think that an update will resolve the problem to the people who have their system files moved avay, could not access any more the Internet and do not have a second computer in hand.

It was a very poor job, which remainds me that romanians are so opened: they are muslims Friday, jewish Saturday, christians Sunday and employed without salary in the rest of the week.

• Wow, this has been a global event.

Never seen so many posts from around the globe and excellent English communication too. ;)

• No, I'm saying people should learn a bit about things that they use in every day life, so when the brown gooey stuff hits the fan they know what to do. Would you honestly feel safe going for a long road trip if you KNEW that you dind't know how to change a tire, or top up your oil? If your answer is "screw that, I just call my AAA", then why didn't you call BD in the first place.

Anyway, I'm done. I think the joint I just rolled is going to smoke itself if I don't.

So are you saying we should call AAA (ie, calling BD tech support) or we should try to fix the tire/change oil ourselves? Your argument turns around on itself and in the end is a contradiction.

It probably is better if you just go smoke your joint...you don't really add anything to this discussion.

• You go into war without knowing how to use your gun....well, good luck.

THANK YOU! :)

• I cant boot on safe mode or normal mode i get black screen

I ' m VERY VERY MAD with this Amateurs ...

I cant restore, says: cant find restore point

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18789 this is the official solutions??? OMG what an A m a t e u r solution from the technical support group

ANY S E R I O U S answers HOW TO FIX ???

They hiding or what ...???

• So are you saying we should call AAA (ie, calling BD tech support) or we should try to fix the tire/change oil ourselves? Your argument turns around on itself and in the end is a contradiction.

It probably is better if you just go smoke your joint...you don't really add anything to this discussion.

I really could go for a joint now, to help take my growing rage away!

• I cant boot on safe mode or normal mode i get black screen

I ' m VERY VERY MAD with this Amateurs ...

I cant restore, says: cant find restore point

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18789 this is the official solutions??? OMG what an A m a t e u r solution from the technical support group

ANY S E R I O U S answers HOW TO FIX ???

They hiding or what ...???

I can't boot too! I have blink black screen in normal or safe mode! Who can repair if i can't access to my system?

• What's the command line? BD reduced my system restore to system ignore.

My system restore said it worked although Windows would not start after it restored. Running the startup repair from the "black screen" prior to Windows attempting to start was what finally worked.

• shadowx360
    edited March 2010
    No, I'm saying people should learn a bit about things that they use in every day life, so when the brown gooey stuff hits the fan they know what to do. Would you honestly feel safe going for a long road trip if you KNEW that you dind't know how to change a tire, or top up your oil? If your answer is "screw that, I just call my AAA", then why didn't you call BD in the first place.

I know, I actually don't disagree with you, I myself is a programmer, and I fixed this first thing by disabling it, restoring the files, and then forcefully ending the Bitdefender service via a simple C++ program and a bit of a trick with exploiting a few windows holes with scheduled tasks. But I'm just saying that most computer users know how to go onto the internet, look at 'images', check their facebook and email, and listen to music, and that's about it.

You go into war without knowing how to use your gun....well, good luck.

Easy. That is why people play Call of Duty these days instead of learning about how to disable rogue antiviruses. Don't worry, if you don't know how to use your gun, you'll 'respawn' in five seconds, with an aimbot attached.

• IMPORTANT FIX

Ok Kids here we go,

I could not open bit defender, i could not restore.

I saved my Quarantine Items located here : C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine * Hidden Folders* make sure they are visable.

I un installed BD - Re-Installed BD

Said NO to updates. Best to turn your network off.

Rebooted PC as directed for fresh BD install

Copied Quarantine Items I have saved, to new empty Quarantine folder, BAM thier thier. Started restoring them as we speak. After Restore, update BD.

Dano out

• IMPORTANT FIX

Ok Kids here we go,

I could not open bit defender, i could not restore.

I saved my Quarantine Items located here : C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine * Hidden Folders* make sure they are visable.

I un installed BD - Re-Installed BD

Said NO to updates. Best to turn your network off.

Rebooted PC as directed for fresh BD install

Copied Quarantine Items I have saved, to new empty Quarantine folder, BAM thier thier. Started restoring them as we speak. After Restore, update BD.

Dano out

WE CANNOT LOGIN I SEE ONLY A BLACK SCREEN ... get it ???

• Any Bitdefender representative here ?

I am amazed that more tha 4 hours after this unqualified mistake there is no information whatsoever on your sites!

The crisis management is as unbelieveable and unqualifyable as the initial mistake !

• Hey SERIOUSLY ! The topic they posted doesn't work on my two other computers...

I just bought this freaking crap ! I really wanna say GOOD BYE BitDefender IF NOTHING WORTHY COMES

I want be paid off!

I trusted BitDefender when I bought it (3days ago) and THIS HAPPENS ????

HOLY CRAP ! Do something or a lot will go away !

It's not the first time something like that happens with BitDefender (well, less annoying)