Bad Update Or....? - Solution Here: Http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18789

Comments

• I loved windows 7 right from the first boot up. NOW, I love it even more. The repair option during boot is a lifesaver for me. After getting the first virus message I ofcourse started a deep system scan, and only cancelled it after 19000+ hits. I'm now manually recovering those items (what a pain btw). If it were not for the repair function I wouldn't even be able to boot, and would loose my emails (I have backups, but not daily ones).

What a clusterf...

• has anyone managed to shutdown and so a system restore boot? Can you back a few days and disable BD2010 and at least back some stuff up?

my story is the same as everyone else. logged on this morning, and BD went nuts - Windows7 Home Premium x64

im trying to run a restore right now...i'll keep you posted on whether it works or not...let's hope it does or i'll be ###### bricks

• i didnt see this thread till about 5 minutes ago which was to late. bitdefender did its update, then i scanned and the computer went nuts, so i updated again and it said to restart my computer. i did so and now i get a blue screen of death. thanks for the awesomeness bitdefender<3

its really sad when a antivirus program turns into a virus and just bangs your computer ######. hopefully my system restore will work

• I loved windows 7 right from the first boot up. NOW, I love it even more. The repair option during boot is a lifesaver for me. After getting the first virus message I ofcourse started a deep system scan, and only cancelled it after 19000+ hits. I'm now manually recovering those items (what a pain btw). If it were not for the repair function I wouldn't even be able to boot, and would loose my emails (I have backups, but not daily ones).

What a clusterf...

Yes Windows 7 is amazing and it shows how ignorant people are for claiming Windows XP is better. With Windows XP you'd be in DEEP ###### right now. Windows 7 happily repairs the files Bitdefender so happily ###### up.

• Herman, you need to chill.

ANY & ALL antivirus software & antimalware tools can have a false positive!

There's an option for all of them to allow the user to check the files to be sure first for a reason!

• Herman Melville,

The idea of anyone trusting any security tool to correctly auto delete blows my mind. At least when files are put into quarantine they can be marked as safe (as in Sophos and other endpoint systems) and put back into play. Autodelete is fatal and has been since the year dot.

Personally I can't seem to find Quarantine within my BD IS 2010 to manually cure things. I only had 53 files bumped into Quantine.

• So BitDefender is blocking my svchost.exe . Anyone know how to unblock it?

stop immediatly the time real antivirus, and after go to antivirus -> quarantine -> click on the svchost.exe an try to restore.

After, you can try to kill the process, normaly it will re-start automatily.

• For those who's Windows won't boot normally (with an error about login service) but will make it to safe mode you can fix the problem by disabling the bitdefender services.

Steps:

1. Go into safe mode.

2. Click on Start -> Run (alternately press the windows key and 'r')

3. Type 'services.msc'

4. At the top of this list will be 4 entries that start with "Bitdefender". Double click on the first one

5. Where it says "Startup type:" Check the selection to "disabled".

6. Repeat the last two steps for each of the 4 entries.

You should now be able to get into windows normally. Bitdefender will appear to start, but then fair because it's services are not running. At this point you have no antivirus but at least it won't be deleting your system files like it just did to my one machine.

Well, and for those with boot BSOD's in any boot option, safe mode included?...

I have already tried a recovery using the windows cd on my other computer, but the damage was so massive that even the "machine-gun" approach didn't work.

Oh well, i guess I'm going to have to machine-gun my client as well lol

• As I stated before, why you guys set an app to auto delete anything is ridiculous.

Why are you guys restarting anyways?

WTF kind of question is that, wait let me get this right, maybe i should just sit and let it do....go away and go sit in your dfamn corner,

Same thing here, only I left scan running whilst away... so my system is screwed, unless they can do a fix to restore the quarantined stuff...

my system shut down and took five restarts with repairs to get it back up barely running... but most stuff does not work.

so waiting for a fix... if I have to reinstall my system I will not be happy

don't these guys test stuff before updating us... this is not very good

bitdefender dont work any more it quarantined its self... if it was not so serious I would laugh

there is nothing you can do, you will have TO DO a system restore, bottom line, unless of course, bd is going to come to your house to fix it personally which i doubt, they qurantined your files, nothing you can do about it besides undo the option and pray it works, i didnt have the patience

now you are just annoying the **** out of me.

Perhaps because some people trusted their antivirus, as they should?

You cannot blame this situation on the affected users.

This is clearly a major mistake on BitDefender's part.

I think they should expect a subpoena for class action lawsuit unless this situation is handled correctly and affected users are compensated accordingly.

All in all, just shut the **** up. You are not helping anyone in any conceivable form.

amen man amen

There's an option for all of them to allow the user to check the files to be sure first for a reason!

No he doesn't need to chill. He's 100% correct.

• Well, I just got done going through my entire list of quarantined files and trying to Restore them. Some were successful, most weren't. The ones that weren't successful are mostly BitDefender files, and some Windows files. It complains that there's a file with the same name already there. But what's weird is...it complains there's a file already there, but then if you "x" out of the window, another window pops up saying it cannot find the path to the directory. How can it find a duplicate file there without also finding the path to the directory to that file?

At this point, however, I'm afraid to apply an update or reboot for fear of screwing up things even more.

I tried going to that URL that L.O.D. posted, but they don't list any kind of version or date information on the 64-bit .EXE file, so how are we supposed to know when they update it?

BitDefender's lack of response on this issue is very disappointing. They don't have any kind of information on the front page of their website, even thought this is a major outage with their product. They don't have anything in their KnowledgeBase, either. And so far, the only people posting anything remotely of use are L.O.D. and other users. The only thing I've seen so far from official BitDefender people here on the forums has been a half-assed apology and no real solutions.

Very disappointing.

• Did you get the needed information and files? If not I can send you it.

We have the needed files and the update to fix this will be soon released.

For the moment:

Do not run any scans

Disable the antivirus module and wait for the update to be released (we will let you know when)

To disable the antivirus in v2010 just press the Settings button and remove the checkmark under Antivirus.

• firefox.exe => quarantined

system files => quarantined

turn off real time scanning,

reboot => no more bitdefender cause it has quarantined itself!

Now, you guys at bitdenfender, you should better find a very good solution for all of us regarding this unbelievable mess...

• dude I can't restore, please see attached! :(

Have the smae issue, cannot restore files. This is so BAD BitDefender!

• yeah ANY AND ALL antivirus can have a false positive

but ONLY BITDEFENDER got this kind of false positive

if you dont have a solution for us then stop replying here.

• From France, another guy with a dead Windows 7 64 bit on my Asus M60Vp with BDIS 2010.

It started to quarantine all my files, rebooted itself, quarantined everything and NOW I CANNOT EVEN RESTORE MY SYSTEM BECAUSE IT QUARANTINED CRITICAL FILES.

As lots of people, I can say it's a SHAME.

I have a Windows Vista 32 bit working (yes, I didn't put that ###### BD on it) so I would like to unquarantine my files from this Windows.

Does someone know if it is possible, or using Rescue disk ?

I will definitely NOT renew my licence next time. Such bugs are inacceptable as any other bug caused by this "secured and great software" (boot crashes, random BD crashes, etc etc). THIS IS A SHAME.

• L.o.D.
    L.o.D. ✭✭
    edited March 2010

Chris S, when they announce that they have a fix released, they will most likely update that file as well at the same time.

Jay, I never said that an FP like this cannot happen.

BTW, it's my thread so ya, I will reply to it.

• I was able restore some files from the Program Files directory, but not any system related ones. You may want to look at the quarantine settings and turn off the auto-delete functions, hopefully a fix will get in soon. I'm glad I looked a the forum before I thought of restarting.

And you, LOD, need to get your head out of their ######. The last time an antivirus had a false positive, it was all over the news and that was just ONE file that got quarantined and it was by a FREE antivirus program namely AVG.

Now, however, this involves a PAYED FOR PROGRAM AND IT QUARANTINES ALL FILES INCLUDING BITDEFENDER ITSELF. In other words, stop being an idiot and open your eyes: this is a MAJOR problem and going to cause thousands and tens of thousands of users massive headaches, worries, lost files, broken computers, costing hundreds of thousands of dollars to get it all fixed yet you seem so convinced it's just a minor inconvenience. Are you eating "happy pills" as candy or something?

• Please take in consideration that repairing BitDefender with the installer clears the quarantined files list... I don't know how BD manages those files, whether they are still present somewhere on disk or not, but the solution to this mess should definitely include restoring those files. I don't give a ###### that it will no longer report that FakeAlert if most of my files are gone.

Oh, and also the solution should come faster than I install Windows and everything I had.

yeah, if this was just some minor false positive issue, I would not be writing here.

This is something far beyond that.

This issue renders many systems unusable to the point where it can't even reboot.

As for me, I was lucky enough to disable real time scanning early on and not affected badly, not to mention my bitdefender is set to send files to quarantine before deletion.

But some people, more like the majority, are affected to the point where their system is breached.

You have to realize that majority of the people are not computer gurus like some of us are.

you have right, all antivirus could have false positive, but all antivirus don't move in quarantine thousand of windows system32 files require for the boot system.

That's not a false positive, it's call a major bug !!!

• I think people are jumping the gun here though.

If the files are quarantined, they can be restored when a fix is applied.

But if you have it set to auto delete stuff, you are being foolish.

Easy for you to say...

BD has quarantined even itself for some people and some innocent people rebooted their computer and can't even start windows or do some kind of repair which for some of them means reformatting the computer.

Some were lucky to be fast but some weren't and this is really a pain in the ######.

I can't find all the files in the quarantine for some reason even though I don't have it to auto delete the files.

If they don't fix this fast we have no real time protection from BD at the moment which makes us vulnerable so stop taking it way to easy because some are trying to take it calmly but when someone comes and makes it sound like no biggy it's very annoying.

• I NEVER SAID THIS WAS A MINOR ISSUE!!

God ###### people!

• Well this affected me too, and in a BAD way.

Suddenly some programs were uninstalled, sometimes the instant I tried to start one up it instantly deleted the install folder! My system was sluggish, and the fakealert was blocking EVERY program I tried to open.

To me this problem can't be an update error. Something this serious would NEVER of made it past testing.

My guess would be bit defender has had another security breach, hacked or something....seems like the only logical solution.

In any case this whole incident has now forced me to reinstall Windows 7, and I will NOT be using bit defender again.

• we are in a really terrible position now.

we have 150 bussiness clients and most of the pcs which bitdefender thinks everything is virus does not boot any more!!!!

even if it boot_s most of the programs does not work!!!

I disabled antivirus realtime-scan from the Management Console and I am removing it from all the pcs!

I dont think I will install them again!!

THIS THING SUX!

• Good news...

if youre not too far down the drain already and if Windows Installer is still active and working (if not, try to fix it). you can uninstall bitdefender and run a system restore. This worked for me and as of now i will hold off on reinstalling bitdefender until this crap is dealt with.

Shame on you bitdefender team. have fun dealing with this screw up.

• has anyone managed to shutdown and so a system restore boot?

I managed to stay alive (at least seems so) after rebooting. When I noticed that bitdefender started finding those trojan fakealerts I plugged out my internet. Then I wanted to do a full scan, which (thank god) failed to start. Then I restarted my computer, managed to get back in, but it still said every file is a virus. Then i started googling with my sisters mac and found this thread. I disabled real time scanning and I could restore most of the files, about the rest of them it says that a file with exact same name already exists.

looking forward to a fix,

Siim

• Where do I go on the '10 edition to turn off auto delete?

• To Support:

How do I get a refund, you guys don't deserve to be in business. I would rather try Norton, Panda, or whoever else becasue something like this is inexcusable.

Wankers!!!!!

• I have the same problem, it went so far i can't startup anymore !!

Thank you biddefender

• Hello all, I had this happen to me to one computer today, and the computer bacame unsuable.

I was able to use system restore to get back to a useable state. From there I can access bd, turn off autoscan and updates (for now) and see the quarentine.

To get to system restore, you press f8 right before windows boot_s, just after the bios screen (takes some good timing). Then you can choose to repair windows, and system restore is one of the options.

My experiance with system restore in the past is that it doesn't always work, so I realize this might not work in every case, but it might work for some people.

Oh, and disconnect your network cable before rebooting (or turn off your router, whatever keeps it form connecting to the internet, or you might just be doing the same thing over again. (until the update is pushed out, anyways).

_cheers

• Geez, I near brained my 9 year old son thinking he surfed to some crap and infected my system. Fortunately mine only went as far as quarantine a dozen files - mostly WoW and the system TWAIN drivers. I've disabled BD completely at this point and will watch this thread for a confirmed fix. I am also on Windows 7 64bit.

Funny seeing the excuse about false positives. Duh, of course any AV can produce false positives. This is an application defect unequivocally. The irony is that the anti-virus is behaving like a virus LOL! Though, it's is mislabeled as a Trojan. It's more like a worm infecting the whole system until it is non-functional.

• This really is ridiculous - can anyone recommend a decent virus scanner?

• Wow I was working on an major project in 3dsmax when this.... pandemonium happened.

It's pretty funny cause now my system wont boot and I cant work.

If I had different temper I would be probably raging right now.

also posting in epic thread

• Just toasted my Win Vista x64 OS. Fortunately I always install two OS copies on the same computer. Fortunately I turned off Bitdefender on the other computers so I only lost one.

This could rank up there with the worst disasters in AV history. It could toast more computers than even the worst virus did this year.

I wonder if someone inside BD deliberately toasted the update? Disgruntled employee?

Either way the incompetence is inexcusable. This is worse than 2 years ago when MS released an XP service pack that toasted any computer with Norton running.

I am switching all of my computers at work and home out of Bitdefender immediately. I manage 10 computers at my office ,and have 4 at home..

Note to self, AV's not to use ever again as long as I live: Norton, Bitdefender

Trend Micro here I come...

• I think people are jumping the gun here though.

If the files are quarantined, they can be restored when a fix is applied.

But if you have it set to auto delete stuff, you are being foolish.

If you think that it is foolish, why should it even be an option? Don't berate people when they are in crisis mode. Is there a recommendation from

BD that it is unwise to autodelete everything? Should a user expect BD to screw up and flag every file on your system?

• I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Thank godness I quickly came here to read the forum for help. I disabled ALL Bitdefender services except Updates and restored all files that needed to be restored. After that I rebooted and Windows 7 automatically fixed itself after two reboots and it works fine now.

This is really terrible. I moved from Kaspersky to Bitdefender as I thought it is better. They better compensate us for what has happened. I really sympatise with the guy with 150 customer computers.

• system restore totally worked, slowed my comp down somewhat...idk why it would but it did, im happy im back up and running. hopefully this will not ever happen again. im just happy i dont have to killdisc and reformat anything, i was all ready and everything to do it...so glad restore worked

• Easy for you to say...

BD has quarantined even itself for some people and some innocent people rebooted their computer and can't even start windows or do some kind of repair which for some of them means reformatting the computer.

Some were lucky to be fast but some weren't and this is really a pain in the ######.

I can't find all the files in the quarantine for some reason even though I don't have it to auto delete the files.

If they don't fix this fast we have no real time protection from BD at the moment which makes us vulnerable so stop taking it way to easy because some are trying to take it calmly but when someone comes and makes it sound like no biggy it's very annoying.

+1

• The update is now available on the BitDefender Update Servers. Please make a BitDefender update and the problem should be fixed.

Cris.

• Geez, I near brained my 9 year old son thinking he surfed to some crap and infected my system. Fortunately mine only went as far as quarantine a dozen files - mostly WoW and the system TWAIN drivers. I've disabled BD completely at this point and will watch this thread for a confirmed fix. I am also on Windows 7 64bit.

Funny seeing the excuse about false positives. Duh, of course any AV can produce false positives. This is an application defect unequivocally. The irony is that the anti-virus is behaving like a virus LOL! Though, it's is mislabeled as a Trojan. It's more like a worm infecting the whole system until it is non-functional.

• No such luck...

Without any other means to access the internet after EVERYTHING was being quarantined (even windows explorer) I formatted my HDDs and I've just reinstalled windows. Now that I managed to go online I found these threads and I can't even begin to express how ###### I am about this whole thing.

A false positive is one thing, but Bit Defender managed to create much larger problems to the community than most PC viral outbreaks.

Even though my own damage was massive I have to agree with that.

I've been jumping around several av products every other year, trying to find the best one, and I really had nothing but compliments, well, until now. I still remember my days of mcffee. Boy, now that is one f****d up product. The jolts bitdefender has sometimes, that one has them on a daily basis. Plus, it doesn't even detect some of the most obvious virus, that bd detects heuristically without even updating.

The thing is, today, it detected too much.

Still, although the work I will have restoring all files I hadn't backup in a few days will be well, overwhelming, nothing was really lost, as fortunately I'm not "foolish" enough to set the auto-delete on. (How the heck does that option even exist anyway?)

I'm not actually thinking of turning to another av after this is solved, as the competition doesn't really have much to offer me, but I am expecting your QCD to learn from this one, and kick that quality control guy once in a while.

Keep up the (good, preferably) work, and excuse me if was too aggressive in my other post.

Seeing both my pcs in the ER at the same time almost gave me a heart attack too lol

• You have to realize that majority of the people are not computer gurus like some of us are.

Exactly! People who are computer savvy enough to weed their way through this and get their systems working again are in the minority. What about all those people out there that bought BitDefender at their local Best Buy, Fry's, etc, and aren't computer savvy enough to know what's going on, or to come here and read up on forum threads?

All those thousands of people are probably s*** outta luck, and either faced with rebuilding their OS from scratch, or taking it to someplace like the Geek Squad to fix it or rebuild it for them.

I work in customer support, and there is a big difference between savvy users (who are in the vast minority) and your average end user. If BitDefender doesn't make what fix they come out with BULLETPROOF for the average end user, then those users are going to be absolutely screwed by this.

• Where do I go on the '10 edition to turn off auto delete?

In the quarantine window there's a settings button at the bottom.

• Just toasted my Win Vista x64 OS. Fortunately I always install two OS copies on the same computer. Fortunately I turned off Bitdefender on the other computers so I only lost one.

This could rank up there with the worst disasters in AV history. It could toast more computers than even the worst virus did this year.

I wonder if someone inside BD deliberately toasted the update? Disgruntled employee? Its too much of a coincidence that this happened right when most BD employees are home on the weekend.

Either way the incompetence is inexcusable. This is worse than 2 years ago when MS released an XP service pack that toasted any computer with Norton running.

I am switching all of my computers at work and home out of Bitdefender immediately. I manage 10 computers at my office ,and have 4 at home..

Note to self, AV's not to use ever again as long as I live: Norton, Bitdefender

Trend Micro here I come...

• I disabled the AV but i've got over 15,000 files in quarantine I'm trying to restore but a lot of the files say "Failed to find the specified path" mostly for files in System32 but also elsewhere. What am I suppose to do with those?

How do we get a refund from Bit Defender for screwing us up like this? I have no intention of using Bit Defender from now on, I'm now looking for a different Internet Sequrity App.

• How do I disable realtime protection ? Help!

• The update is now available on the BitDefender Update Servers. Please make a BitDefender update and the problem should be fixed.

Cris.

Slight problem - Update no longer works..... How about an exe to download?