Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Zapped My Vista 64!

Options

So, there I was, on Google, and all of a sudden a load of BitDefender alerts came up for FakeAlert, and I noticed that BitDefender was quarantining a LOT of Windows files. Of course, this took out Explorer, and I had to do a reset, and now Vista won't boot as it can't find the good old NT Kernel file.

Great stuff guys. Not only do I have to put up with the rubbish about BitDefender not being able to communicate with it's services etc, now it decides it doesn't like Vista!

So, guys, any ideas about what's happened, while I set about re-installing Vista?

Kieran

Comments

• azstar
    Options
    So, there I was, on Google, and all of a sudden a load of BitDefender alerts came up for FakeAlert, and I noticed that BitDefender was quarantining a LOT of Windows files. Of course, this took out Explorer, and I had to do a reset, and now Vista won't boot as it can't find the good old NT Kernel file.

Great stuff guys. Not only do I have to put up with the rubbish about BitDefender not being able to communicate with it's services etc, now it decides it doesn't like Vista!

So, guys, any ideas about what's happened, while I set about re-installing Vista?

Kieran

It did the same to me on both laptops I have bit defender installed on. One is back up sort of by restore point, the other won't even do that. The one that is up is not working right....this is not the first time bit defender has done this to my machines.....not cool

• Kieran
    Options
    It did the same to me on both laptops I have bit defender installed on. One is back up sort of by restore point, the other won't even do that. The one that is up is not working right....this is not the first time bit defender has done this to my machines.....not cool

Yes, seems like a large-scale problem. Just had a phone call from a friend who is running BullGuard AV, and they have the same thing happening. I managed to get my Vista 64 back by System Restore, de-installed/re-installed BitDefender, did an update, and then a virus scan started reporting lots of nice Windows system files as being 'infected'. At this point, I think I can live with this infection, rather than having these somewhat critical files carted off into quarantine!

Kieran

• dvwx1
    Options

The same thing happened to me this morning. Right after I started up my PC (running 64-bit Vista) BitDefender alerts started coming up for Trojan.FakeAlert. Then BitDefender started quarantining a lot of what seemed to be important windows files. I tried to restart my PC but it wouldn't boot properly; I managed to use system restore through Startup Repair. I removed BitDefender and haven't reinstalled it yet.

• Unfortunitly, all 64bit users were affected.. if its widespread. i do recall bitdefender and bullguard having a similar virus engine. so.. maybe its both affected.. very ###### off at this.

• The problem was the update. I had the exact same thing happen to me last night at about 2:00AM. I was talking in a conference call on Skype, and my computer just came up with millions of fake alerts. Once I had re-installed Windows Vista Ultimate x64, I loaded BitDefender, and there it was again after the update, it ###### itself. So now I'm using AVG Free, which is bloody disgusting. Once they fix this officially (and by that I mean, no fixes, patches etc - a full update) I'll go back to BitDefender.

• Hello all,

We apologies for the encountered issue.

In order to solve this issue please follow the steps from the KB.

For future issues relating this situation we kindly invite you to post the description of it on this topic.

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.