Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Fakealert.5 Virus This May Help...turn Off Modem

Options

I figured I would make a separate post regarding this to let folks know how I resolved my issue with this big screw-up.

If this works let others know by posting the results here.

When I turned on my networked PC's this morning I was greeted on all of them with these same issues. Windows 7 PC would not boot up and Vista PC would not boot up. (64bit)

You should not have to use the Windows recovery CD...FIRST TRY TURNING OFF MODEM...NOT ROUTER. For noobs I mean that you should physically disconnect your internet connection...phone line or whatever it may be.

I was able to successfully start both PC's after doing this. I then turned on the Modem and ran the scan and BD quarantined around 8500 files before I decided to stop it. THis could not be right...no way that many files could be infected.

I then found out what was going on via Google search which led to this Forum and I applied updates and rebooted. Upon reboot and trying to run BitDefender I was getting error of missing bdguictl.dll to try re-installing program. I then re-installed BitDefender 2010 and it applied updates and is now working fine. I have no issues with any of my installed applications. I also never had to mess with quarantined files or recovery CD.

Hope this helps some of you...good luck! Now I'm going to go and play my Strat and chill.

:ph34r:

Comments

• Chimel
    Options

If you already experienced the problem, that recommendation has absolutely no relevance at all to the problem and can only prevent you from getting the fixed update (or rather reversal).

• Astrat
    Options
    If you already experienced the problem, that recommendation has absolutely no relevance at all to the problem and can only prevent you from getting the fixed update (or rather reversal).

Say what? Some folks are using other PC's that do not have BitDefender installed to figure out a solution.

Lets rehash what I said...

If people can't boot up I am suggesting to turn off modem/dsl/cable...I am trying to stop people from doing stupid things that are being suggested here. Turning off your internet connection so you can boot your PC to desktop will bypass the suggestion to use the recovery system. This worked for me...for you who knows unless you try it.

And I also said to turn your modem/dsl/cable back on once you got your PC up and running. And if you think about that! It means you can do the update becaiuse you now have an internet connection again.

If his does not work for you then I say good luck.

This discussion has been closed.