Vsserv.exe Application Error

Over the past week or so, I have had the bitdefender icon gray-out and services to become unresponsive. This is similar to other recent threads on this forum. Looking through the Windows System Log, the following message series is present each time this occurs:

Info:

Application popup: vsserv.exe - Application Error : The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000417) occurred in the application at location 0x00254034. Click on OK to terminate the program.

Note that no popup is actually displayed.

Info:

The Windows Error Reporting Service service entered the running state.

Error:

The BitDefender Virus Shield service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this $X time(s).

Note that $X is an integer based on the occurrence. It appears that the counter starts over for each reboot.

Restarting the Bitdefender Virus Shield fixes the problem for a while.

I agree with others on this forum that this issue is ridiculous. At a minimum, there should be an option for BitDefender to automatically lock down all internet access to the computer when it is unprotected. I am very displeased that this error has occurred multiple times overnight and not been noticed until I get home from work the next day - almost 16 hours of time at-risk, and with an email client active and downloading emails & attachments.

Comments

• Hi All,

One typo I made (and was unable to edit the original post):

In the application error message, the software exception is always the same (0xc0000417), but the location changes (I think the location is the location in memory, so it depends on where the vsserv.exe file is stored in memory when the crash occurs).

Thanks!

• Info:

Application popup: vsserv.exe - Application Error : The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000417) occurred in the application at location 0x00254034. Click on OK to terminate the program.

Note that no popup is actually displayed.

Since a Google search of "unknown software exception" and vsserv.exe only turned up your post [and one more from 2007] I'll respond that *I'm* feeling your pain- even if no one else seems to be.

My locations are different- the exception is at 0xc0000417 and the application is at 0x005e85de - but otherwise the message is the same. I do get a popup.

And I don't know how long this leaves my unattended desktop & lan vulnerable as it seems to happen after 10pm- and I discover it [several times now] at 0700.

Today's log says it finished a scheduled scan task at 0634- so it might have 'only' been unprotected for a short time. But I do leave this box unattended for 20 hours at a rip- and hate to leave all my trust in the windows firewall.

The 2007 reply suggested starting with a boot to safemode and a cleanout of temp files- I'll start there, but I'd like to hear if we're alone here.

Jim

• I too am seeing the 0xc0000417 popup message. I haven't managed to restart Bitdefender afterwards without a reboot. Since this is a machine that I can only access via remote desktop this is best defined as a real pain because it has to stay up for long periods.

• Hi All,

Thought I'd mention that I haven't had this issue in about a month. I see many other users have it on other threads, but it has disappeared for me. The only change I'm aware of is that BitDefender has been updated.

• Go figure... within four hours of updating this post, the error happens again. Same software exception (0xc0000417), which causes an application error, then the service terminates. The app exception has the same time signature as a "Special Logon" successful security audit, but I do not know which process requested the special logon.

Right-clicking on the grayed-out icon and selecting "Update Now" does not fix this problem - no new update is available.

If I go to the services console, I can Start the BitDefender Virus Shield Service. This causes BitDefender to return to the normally operating state within a minute.

Nonetheless, the computer is unprotected when the icon is grayed out, but it still has full internet access. That is a dangerous situation. I would greatly appreciate an option to automatically lock-down internet access when BitDefender is not functioning.

• Hi everyone,

@FrancisT:

@elbrecht:

@garfunkel:

In order to solve the issue you are encountering we would like you to follow the steps below:

1. Click on the Start button and select Run (for Vista you have the search box);

2. Type cmd and hit Enter

3. Type

cd %programfiles%/bitdefender/bitdefender 2010

and hit Enter

4. Type

supporttool.exe /vsservtrace on

and hit Enter

5. A pop-up should appear asking you to reboot the PC. Reboot the PC. If you are not asked to restart the PC, please do so on your own.

6. Open BitDefender and reproduce the issue a couple of times.

7. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

8. Browse to

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

9. Double left click on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right click on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator

10. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish;

11. Please also go to the desktop and send us the file that was created by the SupportTool (it will be created on your Desktop, in an archive file).

After you sent the logs please send me a PM with the ticket ID from the Subject of the e-mail so that I may analyze the reports and send you a solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.

• Hi everyone,

@FrancisT:

@elbrecht:

@garfunkel:

In order to solve the issue you are encountering we would like you to follow the steps below:

1. Click on the Start button and select Run (for Vista you have the search box);

2. Type cmd and hit Enter

3. Type

cd %programfiles%/bitdefender/bitdefender 2010

and hit Enter

4. Type

supporttool.exe /vsservtrace on

and hit Enter

5. A pop-up should appear asking you to reboot the PC. Reboot the PC. If you are not asked to restart the PC, please do so on your own.

6. Open BitDefender and reproduce the issue a couple of times.

7. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

8. Browse to

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

9. Double left click on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right click on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator

10. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish;

11. Please also go to the desktop and send us the file that was created by the SupportTool (it will be created on your Desktop, in an archive file).

After you sent the logs please send me a PM with the ticket ID from the Subject of the e-mail so that I may analyze the reports and send you a solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.

I've already done this twice, have uninstalled and reinstalled BitDefender twice....I still have this problem...any suggestions other than asking for a full refund?

• I've already done this twice, have uninstalled and reinstalled BitDefender twice....I still have this problem...any suggestions other than asking for a full refund?

Please provide me via PM with the Ticket ID you have/had open with us along with the email you used to receive instructions from my colleagues. Thank you!

• Hi DanyDan, All,

It took a few days of solid uptime with no rebooting, but the issue finally reoccurred this evening. I have run supporttool.exe as instructed in the support email I received and sent the produced data to Bitdefender customer care via reply to the same email.

Hopefully there is sufficient information in the produced data to identify and correct the issue.

Thanks,

Brian

• I've had this happen as well on 3 of 7 computers it is installed on. This seems like an epic failure on Bitdefender's part seeing that vsserv.exe is the backbone of their entire product.

My guess is that the Software developers threw out a half-baked piece of software after doing little (if any) QC on it. I mean, with the amount of people seemingly having the same type of problems, they MUST have shown up in product testing. C'mon, I can live with some little aspects not working 100% (like Home networking..yet another issue) but this is absolutely ridiculous.

I imagine there are 3 or 4 support staff (like Danny Dan) working their butt off trying to support software that shouldnt have seen the light of day in the first place. I feel for them..I really do.

I hope for the company's sake they find some solutions fast, because there are more and more people requesting refunds I'm sure.

Rob

• Yes, vsserv.exe made my system slow sometime (after BD perform an update), CPU usage about 20-50%. I decide to turn off BD auto-update, just update before shut down computer. I hope solutions will be release soon!

• And i have changed the auto-update in every 5 hours, but it's always update every 1 hour, there's something wrong???

• Hello everyone,

Brian: I got your email, working on the analysis of the log files. You'll have my reply via email ASAP

Silencer: the higher CPU usage after an update is due to the fact that BitDefender is reloading its modules and settings to apply the new signatures and, if it's the case, to use the newer build released.

Furthermore keep in mind that after a computer restart, BitDefender will search for any available updates every 15 minutes in the first hour regardless of the time you have set into its Security Center -> Update tab.

To avoid the CPU usage you can set BitDefender to prompt a message before Installing Updates so it will prevent using the CPU while you are using the PC for other activities.

Considering the above I would strongly recommend you to further investigate and see what exactly is causing the CPU usage and resolve it. If you wish to do that follow the steps in this link in order to provide us with the reports we need for further investigation.

The reports will be sent directly to our Technical Support Team and you will receive an automatic reply shortly. Please send me a PM with the ticket ID from the Subject of the e-mail so that I may analyze the reports and send you an answer as soon as possible.

Last but not least, I would like to thank you Rspierenburg for your understanding, I do believe that this 'Services are not responding' issue will be resolved with our new release, BitDefender 2011.

Best regards,

• I just started getting this error after I reinstalled last month due to the BitDefender icon not appearing. Now instead of not appearing, it simply goes grey after a day or two of uptime (sometimes less). I submitted a ticket on the issue and hope to have it resolved soon - I'm turning this PC into a network server so it's pretty important that this be fixed! Can't have my AV shutting down at random intervals.

As an aside, I find it curious that BitDefender is consistently rated among the best AV products but it's consistently so problem-prone. I never liked Norton - it was too invasive and didn't have enough options for controlling it's behavior. It was also a notorious CPU hog. BitDefender solves most of those problems but introduces a whole host of technical issues. My gut feeling says it's a Windows 7 thing in my particular case and that they're still working out the kinks. Your mileage may vary, though.

• Hi DoomGaze, my wife uses Norton 2010, and it is much better than it's predecessors on resource usage and general annoyance. It is a good product if the user doesn't want to know what's going on.

If you want full, precise control over your security product, I think BitDefender is the best option available. I do agree that the random disabling is not acceptable for an always-on server - hopefully the BitDefender team can get it worked out soon.

I still would like an option to lock-down all internet access when vsserv.exe is not available. That would allow for the possibility of software bugs, and even successful malware, without allowing the unprotected system to be infected by remote threats or propagate malware on to other systems.

• I am so done with this beta program, I have patiently waited to recieve updates to fix several problems but on 4 months they have only fixed one (antiphishing freezing IE to a crawl) out of 3 problems. Greyed out BD icon, and slowing my computer down to a snails pace is still not fixed. I have uninstalled and am now with a program I should have tried first that actually runs properly. Thankfully NOT a beta tester any more!!

• Hello everyone,

Krocano: the 2010 version is NOT a beta version, is a final release. The slowdown may be due to multiple security solutions installed on the same computer, a faulty installation of BitDefender along with many other reasons, most of them not being on BitDefender's end.

garfunkel: when the message 'Services are not responding' appears your computer is STILL protected. The notification is mostly due to the fact that, after a major update being downloaded and installed, the BitDefender GUI can't be reloaded. That can't be resolved by restarting your computer more often, at least after a major update being installed - as we highly recommend.

DoomGaze: Considering the fact that you will turn that Windows 7 station into a Network Server I would strongly recommend you to have a single security solution installed, a single firewall or a single antispyware software. Furthermore I would recommend you to further investigate the matter as explained below:

Having more then one security product installed on the same PC can degrade performance and cause system instability. Even if they are turned off, there are some active processes running in the background. We recommend you to uninstall all the other security solutions in order for BitDefender to work properly. We also recommend you to run a registry cleaner on your computer in order to improve the system performance.

If the issue still persists please follow the steps from this link in order to provide us with the reports we need for further investigation.

Kind regards,

• There is also another way you can turn the services back on if your icon goes to gray...

Go to your Task Manager...

Then go to the "Services" Tab

Find the "Name" under the Services tab that says..."VSSERV" and under the "Status" section...check to see if VSSERV is in "Stopped" status. If it is....do a right click on the "Stopped" status...and click the drop down that says...."Start Service".

Then usually about 5 seconds later...your gray icon will turn back to red.