Wsftp Pro

Relates to W7 64-bit, WSFTP pro

I'm currently testing BitDefender 2010. I'm irritated by the fact that the BD firewall blocks certain operations of a whitelisted FTP program, insofar as these relate to one specific ISP, free.fr.

In a nutshell, while I can read the contents of a site hosted by Free.fr, I can delete files on it, but if I write to it, BD will not allow me to read back the updated directory. I have to turn off the BD firewall first, then everything works.

With other sites I have no problem.

The MS firewall initially objected specifically to a couple of operations that Free.fr carried out when I connected, but once I allowed these through everything was OK. AVG never objected to these operations. BD simply blocks transfer without asking for my input.

I'm reluctant to buy a product that doesn't allow me full control.

Comments

• Hello Fuddlestack,

Please open BitDefender -> Switch to Expert mode and go to the Firewall module. Go to the Rules tab and click on the Advanced button. Search for the rule you have created for the WS_FTP and select it.

Please make sure that the rule is created for Any Adapter, Any Protocol, Any IP address and in Both Directions. Then move this rule to the top of the list using the up arrow from the top right corner.

Please let us know if the situation persists after following the steps above.

Thank you.

• Hello Carmen,

Thanks for the reply, but it's no go. I had already set up the rule as you suggest, now I've moved it to the top as well.

A transfer from the local to the remote machine works and the pane representing the remote directory is cleared, but before the listing reappears the program appears to go into a loop, presumably retrying a failed exchange. When I let the transaction time out and try to refresh the view manually, the same thing happens; navigating to other directories does not work.

As I stated, this only happens with the one ISP, free.fr. I can even complete uploads to other ISPs while the abortive free.fr loop is still running.

Cheers,

John