Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Scan Never Finishes.

Options

I recently purchased a new 1TB harddrive, and I store all my media on it - photos, music and movies. Whenever I run an antivirus scan, the process always freezes on the last file that it scanned, and it stays like that forever. If I click stop, I am asked to confirm my decision, and upon confirmation it simply stays open. However, when I click close, the window closes after confirmation, yet in BitDefender itself, it says "Deep system scan. Status scanning...", instead of "Deep system scan. Last completed 07/09/2010 13:37:00", as it is meant to say. The process vsserv.exe is also still running when I check my process manager, and consuming 100% of one of my CPU cores.

I have tried adding exclusions so that it does not scan the harddrive at all, yet it still freezes upon the end of scanning.

I am quite worried, because it says that it found infected files, yet nothing is moved to quarantine.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options

Hello,

Does the scan always block on the same file ? Can you tell me the name of it please ? Last but not least check in the list of processes and see if you have an entry called 'uiscan.exe'.

Regards,

• The scan does not always stop on the same file. As I said, I added exceptions so that it skips the original file that it gave problems on, but now it just gives problem on whichever file it scans last.

And yes, there is a process called uiscan.exe running, even though I'm not currently running a scan. Along with vsserv.exe.

• Unknown
    Options

Hello,

I have sent you the steps you need to follow to resolve the scanning issue you encounter. Please check your GMail account and let me know if you got the email as it does have an attachment and the message may be blocked by GMail servers. If possible, send me a PM with a secondary email address where I can reach you.

Regards,

• Unfortunately I have not received the email, and it is not in my spam folder either. Sadly, my other company email account is filtered by GMail servers before I receive emails.

It would be ideal if you could send it in PM to me. If you cannot attach files in a PM, then you can upload to a host website, such as MediaFire.

Thanks for your time.

• Unknown
    Options

Hello FriendlyFire,

I have sent you the email again, this time without any attachments. You will find enclose the download link for the tool you need to run along with full instructions on how to use it.

Kind regards,

• I have done as requested in the email.

As a suggestion, I would like to request a feature; after a scan is finished with infected files found, that the user is prompted on what to do with those infected files. The scan can end after the infected files are moved to quarantine, deleted or ignored.

• Unknown
    Options

Hello and Thank you for your feedback, it will be taken into consideration by the respectful team.

If you have any further queries feel free to contact us anytime!

Regards,

• Thanks for the support, yet I am still having some problems ... I'll try to describe them as well as possible.

When I run a Deep System Scan (I only get the problem with this format of scan) it reports that my PC has 6 viruses ... 3 unique viruses (which makes sense, seeing how one harddrive has a backup of other files. So the infected files are probably backuped.) The scan finishes and notifies me of the problem, where it leaves me to choose between Moving to Quarantine, Deleting or Ignoring the infected files. I normally select "Move the Quarantine", so that I can inspect which files were infected before deleting them. When I selected "Move to quarantine", and "Next", it returns to what seems to be a scanning process, where it continues to scan the final remaining file on my harddrive indefinitely. I first assumed that BitDefender is taking time to move the files to quarantine, and that I should just wait. After 2 hours, it was still continuing.

While this was happening, I noticed that my harddisk usage (my C: drive) was losing free space ... After a bit of inspection I found the following files in C:\ProgramData\BitDefender which were dramatically increasing in size. In C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\DTrace\uiscan.log\ were .log files, majority of which were 1KB in size. I then noticed that the latest .log file was 4GB in size ... Which is quite extraordinary for a text file :/ I then also found files in C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine that were also of size 4GB. Yet, in the BitDefender application, I checked in the Quarantine bar and there were no files listed as having been moved to quarantine...

I then decided to end the scan by pressing cancel. It closes, yet in BitDefender it says "Deep System Scan. Status scanning...". After which I can see that the scan continues to run in Task Manager: vsserv.exe runs, consuming 50% of my CPU, and uiscan.exe is also running. These processes continue to run until I restart my computer.

Would you recommend that I uninstall BitDefender and then reinstall it? After which I can see whether it was a problem with the program engine, or whether the viruses themselves are preventing BitDefender from working properly ... I believe that the viruses are probably in large archive files, which is why the quarantine files in C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine are so large. I can't understand why the .log files are so large though ...

• Lionet
    Options
    When I run a Deep System Scan (I only get the problem with this format of scan) it reports that my PC has 6 viruses ... 3 unique viruses (which makes sense, seeing how one harddrive has a backup of other files. So the infected files are probably backuped.) The scan finishes and notifies me of the problem, where it leaves me to choose between Moving to Quarantine, Deleting or Ignoring the infected files.

HI FriendlyFire,

What is your system? XP? Seven? Vista?

If you find so many viruses on your disk, it's better to suppress them, not to quarantine, unless you strongly suspect they are "false positive". It is possible to send quarantine files to Bitdefender for analysis. Delete all restoration points, check external keys and drives, they are probably infected.

My trick: To take off the hard disk and plug it as an external disk on a well protected computer to be checked of any malwares aboard.

Besides, you can find some procedures in BD knowledgebase:

case of unresolved items

another link:

already infected?

I hope it will help you...

If malwares are no longer involved, you could fully deinstall BD soft, then reinstall (it's better to download it again on BD web site.). Clean the hard disk, check it for errors...

On the other side, if you really find too many malwares, well... disk format is the quickest and safest solution to get a fresh system.

Good night,

:)

L.

• Hi Mourits,

Please send me the .log file(s) as explained in the email I have sent you few moments ago on your GMail account. Once we make sure that your PC is clean, you can proceed with the reinstall.

Looking forward to your answer!

• Hey there, and thanks for the support!

I have been meaning to try out something, to see if I can fix the problem myself. I just tried it, and it worked!

The problem was that a 8GB .iso file had 2 viruses on it. It was backed up on a separate location, causing BitDefender to find 4 viruses. When I selected "move to quarantine", BitDefender would freeze after 4GB, as that is probably due to file size restrictions. I simply extracted the .iso, deleted the viruses manually, and then repackaged it. Everything works perfectly now.

I appreciate the effort, but the problem is fixed now :)

Thanks guys.

• Hi FriendlyFire,

Glad to see the issue was resolved. Feel free to contact us anytime you need assistance!

Best regards,

• Hi FriendlyFire,

Glad to see the issue was resolved. Feel free to contact us anytime you need assistance!

Best regards,

Hey,

i have the same problem. could you help me with it? My scanning stops at regback\software . When i try to stop scan. It wont stop. I'll have to close the whole bit defender.

thank you so much

• Giblets
    edited September 2010
    Options

Yep.. I've had this before. Mine would scan all the way through and then when I'd try to remove any detected items(nearly always just tracking cookies), nothing would happen! I'd always have the icon with the problem - ' 1 ISSUE IS AFFECTING YOUR MACHINE' - ' NEVER HAD A SYSTEM SCAN '

Huh?

"JOKER SOFTWARE"!!!!!!!!!

• Hi KOXOXOK and Giblets,

First I want to apologize for my delay in responding to your post. In case you still have the same issue, in order to solve it, I would recommend you to upgrade for FREE to BitDefender 2011. Before going through the upgrade process, I need to know if this new version is compatible with your system.

If you want, you can send me a PM with a Screen Shot with your system configuration or just tell me your general hardware specs (CPU, RAM, System Type...).

In order to see your system configuration, right click on the MyComputer icon present on your desktop and choose Properties.

How to take a Screen Shot:

1. When the window is on the screen please press the "PrintScreen" key ("PrintScreen" is located at the top of the keyboard, at right. At this step we can not see anything, as the picture is copied into Windows's clipboard);

2. Open a graphic editing application (We recommend using the standard Paint program, that comes with every Windows installation (Start > Program > Accessories > Paint));

3. Paste the picture in a new Paint document;

4. Save the file in JPEG format.

Thank you.