Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Internet Security 2010 Icon Grays Out And Program Shuts Down

Options

Occasionally (maybe once every couple weeks) I notice that the BD icon on my taskbar is grayed out and the program is shut down. And then the only way to get it running again is to re-boot. Why is this happening?

Windows 7 (64-bit)

16 GB of RAM

Dual Quad Core Dell Precision Workstation

Comments

• Lionet
    Options
    Occasionally (maybe once every couple weeks) I notice that the BD icon on my taskbar is grayed out and the program is shut down. And then the only way to get it running again is to re-boot. Why is this happening?

Windows 7 (64-bit)

16 GB of RAM

Dual Quad Core Dell Precision Workstation

Hi dakotajoe,

I have XP Home, XP Pro, but I guess the problem could be solved the same way.

My trouble with the grey ball usually comes with the opening of Windows Live Messenger.

My solution: to deactivate WLM every time I do not use it in a session, and even to deactivate every software I know I will not use. The system is lighter to work, faster to start.

Ccleaner is good to scratch old files of software we deinstalled but not good at checking whether the registry base is really corrupted or not. So beware with it.

Deinstall every software you will not use in a six months basis to come, deactivate software you will not use in the session and check if your bitdefender runs smoothly with windows.

I guess you do not have any other antimalware (no additionnal firewall, antivirus, and so on...) that could hamper Bitdefender.

And my problems with Bitdefender comes more often with my oldest computer with an old system that was not reformated for two years and heavily loaded with other soft.

When I use WLM, I usually wait for a couple of minutes (one minute usually) and the red ball comes back.

It is difficult to isolate the culprit, especially if the problem comes occasionnally.

Sorry for not giving you a simple, straight answer to take care of grey balls (I knew that bug since BD IS 2008) once and for all.

Have a nice day,

:)

L.

• There is another much longer thread about this further back. I think last reply was July 14. Read that and you will see how great of a problem this really is. You are lucky its only happening occasionally. For me it happens non-stop if I leave my computer unattended for more than 30 min or go into hibernation mode. All I can say is uninstall BD with the uninstall tool. Then run a good registry cleaner that you have or know of. Wipe out all traces of BD and any other security solutions you might have left. Then reinstall BD and see what happens. I

already moved on to another AV product because I couldn't deal with with death star ball anymore. I have used BD since v10 and 2010 is by far the worst BD program I have used.

Good luck

• Oracle
    Options

Actually there are a number of threads dealing with this.

Good luck with it

• Unknown
    Options

Hello Joe,

Further to your query be kindly informed that from time to time major updates are being released for all BitDefender products. After the update is being installed your computer needs to be restarted. The message 'Services are not responding' may appear until the PC will be restarted.

Furthermore the above mentioned message may occur when multiple security solutions are installed on the same PC. Also upon reinstalling or upgrading to a newer version without using the BitDefender Uninstall Tool may results in having the same Services are not responding issue.

Best regards,

• I'm getting the same problem and I DO NOT APPRECIATE the fact that I sent one of the employees/admins my diagnostic file AS THEY REQUESTED WE DO and totally ignored me and has not replied. Your support department is LACKING in alot of ways. I will be looking at a different package when my subscription runs out.

Hello Joe,

Further to your query be kindly informed that from time to time major updates are being released for all BitDefender products. After the update is being installed your computer needs to be restarted. The message 'Services are not responding' may appear until the PC will be restarted.

Furthermore the above mentioned message may occur when multiple security solutions are installed on the same PC. Also upon reinstalling or upgrading to a newer version without using the BitDefender Uninstall Tool may results in having the same Services are not responding issue.

Best regards,

• Unknown
    edited July 2010
    Options

Hi Ltdarkstar,

Can you please provide me with a ticket ID of the case you have open with Us ? The ID is mentioned in the email's subject line and starts with 2010xxxxxxxxxxx. If you can't find it please send me a PM (private message) with the email you used to communicate with Us.

Please accept our apologies for this misunderstanding, I will do my best in resolving the issue you are facing as first priority.

Looking forward to your answer!

Kind regards,