Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Error In Log Of 'deep System Scan', Some Remarks And A Question

Options

After recently upgrading BDTS v2009 (Dutch) to v2010, I have some problems, remarks and questions. During the last week(s), I've sent 3 messages to Support, using the e-mail ticket option at the web site. But the responses from Support (SAV-NL) are useless and rather annoying (up to now). So, I'm starting now to post my comments and problems in forum topics.

My OS is Windows XP Pro, SP3 Dutch.

This post is a copy of my initial message, Ticket ID: 201007075002621

Section 'Target Processing' in the log file shows:

Default first action for infected objects: Disinfect

Default second action for infected objects: None

Default first action for suspect objects : None

Default second action for suspicious objects: None

Default action for hidden objects: None

Default first action for encrypted infected objects: Disinfect

Default second action for encrypted infected objects: None

Default first action for encrypted suspicious objects: None

Default second action for encrypted suspicious objects: None

Default action for password-protected objects: Log only

However, at the 'Defender Real-time Protection Settings' screen (Shield/Custom Level) the first and second action are set to <Move file to quarantaine> for both infected and suspect files.

Note. There were no infected or suspected files found, so it's not clear what happens when something was detected.

= = = = =

[Remarks]

I do regret very much that the update notification pop-up screen of v2010 don't show anymore the details of the "update size". That size info was for me an indication of the importance. When I see many times a day such messages, I skip most of the time the very small updates and continue (uninterrupted) with my work.

Due to this lack of update size information, I've set now the interval to 24 hours (i.s.o. 1) and that's not an improvement over the old situation.

Note. But this setting don't work. I still see the notification more than once a day.

- - - - -

I have disabled the 'Scan outgoing e-mail' setting, but nevertheless I see that notification window at the right-down corner when sending an e-mail.

= = = = =

[Question]

Is it possible to exclude all folders with a specific name (by using e.g. a wildcard syntax)?

The backups of my mobile phone generates in the AV scan log a lot of lines like this:

G:\Backups\DX900\15jan10a\Programmabestanden\Spb Mobile Shell\qa_layouts.dat=>Backlight.xml Password-protected Not scanned (file was password-protected)

So, I want to exclude the 'Spb Mobile Shell' folders. But every (new) backup has a slightly different path and I don't like that I should add a new exclude line for every (new) backup.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options

Hello Chris,

I will try to answer all your queries in the same order. Here goes:

- the 'Target Processing' is different than the settings you've made under 'Shield' -> Custom Level button. It does refer to the settings you make under each scan task by right click on it and selecting 'Properties' then 'Custom' level;

- even you have set the Update to be performed every 24 hours, after each computer restart it will search in the first hour every 15 minutes (3 times) for new updates due to security reasons. Then, after the first hour since the PC was started, it will check for updates as set by you.

Last but not least regarding the backup exclusion folder I may suggest you exclude this folder from scanning:

G:\Backups\DX900\

For more information on the product you can check the BitDefender Total Security2010 Userguide - Dutch

You can't use a wild card to set an exclusion from scanning. It can either exclude by path or by extension.

Hope that I have answer all your questions. Feel free to contact us anytime!

• cdgmol
    Options
    Hello Chris,

Thanks DanyDan for your explanations.

Log "failure" is clear and I know now the 'per task' settings.

When I set the Update to be performed every 24 hours, I don't like the 3 notifications within the first 15 minutes. Especially because there is no update size info anymore.

Using G:\Backups\DX900\ will exclude all the backups completely and 'Spb Mobile Shell' is only a part of the backup.

So, excluding all folders with a specific name (by using e.g. a wildcard syntax) is a feature request.

• cdgmol
    Options
    Hope that I have answer all your questions.

I forgot in my reply the following:

Scanning an outgoing e-mail when the setting is disabled, is incorrect (although it is a minor problem).

Note. I suppose that Shield/Custom is the right place for that setting.

• Unknown
    Options

Hi Chris,

Actually no, to disable the outgoing email scanning notification you need to go to General -> Settings and disable the pop-ups in Basic or Expert mode, depending on how you have set the dashboard to be displayed.

From the Shield/Custom you only set if you wish your outgoing emails to be scanned or not.

Your feature request was taken into consideration, it was escalated to the respectful department. If you have any further queries feel free to contact us anytime!

Regards,

• cdgmol
    Options

Hi DanyDan

There are general 'Settings' (the overview of User Interface Settings) and 'General' / 'Settings'. There the line with "Show pop-ups ... set to Expert" is checked (enabled). Is that a setting for NONE or ALL notifications?

Well, IMHO it's ridiculous that when 'Scan outgoing e-mail' is disabled (Shield / Custom Level), that the 'Scanning Outgoing E-mail' notification still pops-up.

• cdgmol
    Options

Hi DanyDan

Perhaps due to my focusing on the incorrect notification of scanning outgoing e-mails, I didn't notice until today, that there were no notifications during incoming e-mails. So, the settings at Shield / Custom don't have any influence on notifications (I've tested different settings). There is always a notification when sending and none when receiving e-mails.

Note. I don't know if the e-mails are really scanned. It's very long ago that I received infected messages.

Note. In v2009 there was a notification during incoming e-mails for each of my e-mail accounts. The e-mail notifications are an example of the "deprovements" of v2010.

• cdgmol
    Options

[Remarks]

I do regret very much that the update notification pop-up screen of v2010 don't show anymore the details of the "update size". That size info was for me an indication of the importance. When I see many times a day such messages, I skip most of the time the very small updates and continue (uninterrupted) with my work.

I have to apologize for complaining about this issue. I overlooked that you have to select at the Update / Settings screen the option(s) "Prompt before downloading updates" to get the info I was missing. And at the notification pop-up screen, there is now a 'Details' button for more info about what is going to be downloaded.

Note. I've checked that I did use this setting with v2009 by looking in the old v_live_s.xml file (ID_AUTOMATIC_PROMPT_DOWNLOAD was True).

• In the log data I can see that the last (deep) system scan was started on 26-7-2010 at 14:29:22 (and finished at 17:50:44), but the Dashboard shows 14-8-2006 19:22:07 (and 1465 days ago).

Note. It's not the first time that I see such a "mismatch".

After a new scan the date and time are (as previously after a scan) correct. If I see that data switching in the upcoming time, I will report that.