Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Services Are Not Responding

Options

I am running BDIS 2010. I occasionally will go to my computer and see the error message "BitDefender Services are not Responding". The description then says "The BitDefender Security Service (vsserv.exe) is unavailable at the moment. Please restart the computer and try again."

I have been running BD products for some time and have not had many issues with them. I recently "upgraded" to Windows 7 Pro x64 (with new hardware) and have had this issue a number of times since the upgrade. What it means is that my system is left unprotected during the time I am away from it (I usually just leave the machine running).

I have not been present at the computer to witness the BD product 'turn off', so I don't know of any condition that would cause this to happen.

Is there a known solution to this? I find this to be rather frustrating.

Thanks.

Comments

• Lionet
    Options
    I am running BDIS 2010. I occasionally will go to my computer and see the error message "BitDefender Services are not Responding". The description then says "The BitDefender Security Service (vsserv.exe) is unavailable at the moment. Please restart the computer and try again."

I have been running BD products for some time and have not had many issues with them. I recently "upgraded" to Windows 7 Pro x64 (with new hardware) and have had this issue a number of times since the upgrade. What it means is that my system is left unprotected during the time I am away from it (I usually just leave the machine running).

I have not been present at the computer to witness the BD product 'turn off', so I don't know of any condition that would cause this to happen.

Is there a known solution to this? I find this to be rather frustrating.

Thanks.

Hi stelorone,

Did you update from XP To W7x64? from Vista to W7x64? or else?

What new hardware? the same computer or another with another system XP Vista Seven?

You are brave, I never dared to update a system over another, I'd rather format the hard disk and install the new system on the disk fresh and clean, to avoid any issues with old stuff like I had in the past. And I usually had problems. (an example: If you use restoration points you could notice BD will not run any more and will need to be "repaired".)

You could try a repair/remove operation. (start, program, Bitdefender, repair or remove) and choose repair.

It could work.

If it does not work, download the soft on BD web site, cut off internet line, fully deinstall the old soft that does not work, finish the work (with caution) with Ccleaner. Install the BD downloaded, go back to internet to update.

I do that with W. XP. I hope it works with Vista and Seven, maybe the procedure is a bit different...

You could use the link below and check info in the knowledgebase too..

installing BD IS 2010

Besides, BD services stop a few minutes while they update the database. It's true it's frustrating. I'd rather do updates everytime I am in front of the screen. And sometimes (not very often) they freeze completely at night, after going round the clock two days... I hope the bug will be fixed soon.

Good night

:)

L.

• coolcool1227
    Options

Hi stelorone

Check the below link for the same subject issue on this forum which may help you in troubleshooting your issue.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...ic=17865&st

I agree with Lionet, it is better to reinstall OS on formatted drive rather than to upgrade the existing OS to avoid the occurrence of any intermediate issues.

Uninstall BD from Bitfdefender uninstall tool and reinstall it

Download it from

http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB333-en--How-to...itDefender.html.

After uninstalling Bitdefender from its tool, manually search traces of Bitdefender in Registry and System Drive (where you installed Bitdefender) and delete them.

• Unknown
    edited August 2010
    Options

Hello,

Indeed I must say that it's best to have a clean OS installed rather than an upgrade of an older one (i.e. from Windows XP/Vista to Windows 7). Once the new OS is installed you can install BitDefender as explained in the KB articles that both ONT and Lionet mentioned.

Furthermore I would recommend you to keep a single security solution installed on your system and have both Windows Firewall and Windows Defender turned off.

If you have any further queries feel free to contact us anytime!

Kind regards,

• Hi all,

I have a new motherboard, RAM, and processor. My HD's (1 master and 2 slaves) were from before. The master was re-formatted (XP was old O/S) and Win 7 Pro x64 was installed. So, essentially, a clean install.

I will go through the knowledge base and see if there is a solution. I hate to have to uninstall/reinstall the product, but then if it keeps shutting down on me it's not doing me much good.

• Hi Stelorone,

What exactly is the issue you are facing now after installing the new OS ?

• Hi Stelorone,

What exactly is the issue you are facing now after installing the new OS ?

The issue is that my BitDefender Services shuts down on me quite randomly. Not sure what happens to be honest. I leave my system on most of the time (through the night) and sometimes (like this morning) I will notice that the activity bar is not displayed (I have it set to display). Then, when I click on the BitDefender icon, it tells me that BitDefender Services are unavailable and to restart the computer.

As you can imagine I am unimpressed by this shutdown of my virus protection. I like BDIS when it works as I believe it is one of the less passive virus protection programs on the market, but I need something more reliable. If I can't resolve this soon, I will be switching to AVG or something like that.

Anyways, that's the scoop. Any thoughts?

• Hello,

Be kindly informed that the issue you encounter has been resolved in our new version, BitDefender 2011.

Please read THIS topic in order to upgrade to our latest version.

Kind regards,