Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Cpu Usage

Options

hello forum.

recently seen my task manager because cpu usage was high and found vsserve.exe gobbling everything up. this proves very annoying in general and especially whilst gaming. does any one have an idea what to do? i am running home bit def.2010

many thanks

H.

Comments

• Hi,

Please provide me with the following information:

- any other security solutions installed on the same computer ?

- Windows Defender and Firewall are both disabled ? (if using Windows Defender)

- have you used an older version and upgraded to 2010 ? If so, how ?

- does the issue still occur after a computer restart ?

- does the CPU usage only occurs after a BitDefender Update ?

- feel free to add any other information you may find useful

Looking forward to your answer!

• Hi

Dan

Me having the same prob

- any other security solutions installed on the same computer ? - nope

- Windows Defender and Firewall are both disabled ? (if using Windows Defender) - Yup

- have you used an older version and upgraded to 2010 ? If so, how ? - nope straightly to TS 2010

- does the issue still occur after a computer restart ? - yup

- does the CPU usage only occurs after a BitDefender Update ? nope..after instaling n restart CPU always shows 50% or above

- feel free to add any other information you may find useful - OS windows 7 ultimate..

Plzz help me :(

• Unknown
    edited August 2010
    Options

Hi Cyborg,

In order to troubleshoot the issue you are encountering I would like you to follow the steps below:

1. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

2. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

3. Doubleclick on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, rightclick on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator

4. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish

5. Go to the desktop and send me the file that was created by the SupportTool by uploading it HERE

6. Include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering and a screenshot of the error message, if there is one.

When you have the log file send me a PM(private message) with the download link for it.

• But how can i trust this tool is only sharing the information that you wanted :-o

• Unknown
    edited August 2010
    Options

Hello,

Please allow me to quote from BitDefender End User Software License Agreement found in all UserGuide manuals:

DATA COLLECTION TECHNOLOGY- BitDefender informs you that in certain programs or products it may use data collection technology to collect technical information (including suspect files), to improve the products, to provide related services, to

adapt them and to prevent the unlicensed or illegal use of the product or the damages resulting from the malware products. You accept that BitDefender may use such information as part of the services provided in relation to the product and to prevent and stop the malware programs running on your computer.

You acknowledge and accept that BitDefender may provide updates or additions to the program or product which automatically download to your computer.

DATA COLLECTION. Access to the website by the User and the acquisition of products and services and the use of tools or content via the website implies the processing of personal data. Complying with legislation governing the processing of personal data and information society services and electronic commerce is of the utmost importance to BitDefender. Sometimes, to access products, services contents or tools, you will in some cases, need to provide certain personal details. BitDefender guarantees that such data will be treated confidentially and in accordance with legislation governing the protection of personal data and information society services and electronic commerce. BitDefender complies with applicable data protection legislation, and has taken the

administrative and technical steps necessary to guarantee the security of the personal data that it collects.

You can find the UserGuide for BitDefender Total Security 2010 HERE

Regards,

• Hello,

Please allow me to quote from BitDefender End User Software License Agreement found in all UserGuide manuals:

You can find the UserGuide for BitDefender Total Security 2010 HERE

Regards,

Hi dan

Sorry to say that i cant run that tool successfully..it shows a non moving progress bar and cpu got over loaded. I cant do any other process at that time. so i wait until 30 min and completely shut down my system .and uninstall BD TS.

I got some files in my desktop. One rar file is corrupted. and the working two files i upload here.also the screen shot of cpu load

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=6516" data-fileid="6516" rel="">sysdump.html

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=6517" data-fileid="6517" rel="">sysdump.txt

post-21661-1281520070_thumb.png

post-21661-1281520336_thumb.png

• Hi Cyborg,

In order to troubleshoot the issue you are encountering I would like you to follow the steps below:

1. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

2. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

3. Doubleclick on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, rightclick on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator

4. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish

5. Go to the desktop and send me the file that was created by the SupportTool by uploading it HERE

6. Include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering and a screenshot of the error message, if there is one.

When you have the log file send me a PM(private message) with the download link for it.

• vsserv.exe takes at least half if not more of my cpu capacity every time I close from a scan. It takes 5 to 10 minutes to be able to do anything else.

vserve.exe also does this several time a day for no apparent reason.

How can I fix this

• vsserve.exe intermittently slows my computer down during usage but I think something else is causing it as well. Trying to investigate at present. A response time of 30 seconds or more to a mouse click IS ANNOYING IN THE EXTREME. My computer has been like that for maybe 6 weeks :(

One other point, several months ago a popup appeared labelled File Zone/Net Zone. Many times a session one or the other or both have a red cross through them. When both, the icon in the right bottom corner dims out ie Bit Defender is off. Mostly it comes back on after a while but occasionally not. BitDefender at this time cannot be manually turned on.

• Hello,

danhartjax:

redadare:

Please run the steps presented in THIScyborg):

1. Download THIS tool

2. Locate and open 'Sysdump.exe'

3. A command prompt window will appear on your screen. Please note that the information gathering process can take several minutes therefore please wait until the window disappear by itself.

4. The result will be the file called 'SYSDUMP.TAR'

5. Upload the results HERE

• Daniel M,

I sent you a PM as requested by you straight away. Its now 3 days later and no reply.

Now I've found out what has been clogging my system so terribly these past weeks. It's BitDefender Internet Security 2010!

I've disabled it and now I'm trialling Kaspersky Internet Security 2011.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE. My computer actually works normally again after all these weeks.

Daniel. You have a monumental problem with Bit Defender.

• I too have been seeing the same High CPU/High Page Fault. I have BD 2010 on two of my own systems and on two system I support for my church. In all cases VSSERV.EXE will periodically use 60-95% of the CPU time. Its the highest user of CPU time next to System Idle. With no applications open it still will periodically spike the CPU for 30-40 second. I have tried some of the earlier suggestions to no avail! I deleted BD2010 from my laptop and replaced it with another security package. What a difference.

BTW - I have a ticket open with BD on this. Once I submitted information I never got a response!

But.. I found BD 2010 to be quite effective other than this serious problem with VSSERV.EXE. It could be the cause for dropping the product.

• aqmy
    Options

I'm having exactly the same problem on my two computers. The poor suffer from very frustrating and frequent slowdowns.

I will still bear with this very big inconvenience for two days before leaving on vacation. When I return, if no solution is found, I will of course change my security provider.

I sincerely hope I will not have to since I really appreciate the interface of this program.

Do not take it as an ultimatum. I am after all only one client among many others...

• stainedglass
    edited September 2010
    Options

I had the same problem for a year now . First with BD2009 and then with BD2010 . BD2010 was even worse and I bought an extra license and reinstalled BD2009 . Better than 2010 but still the constant cpu hogging and harddisk writing/reading like mad , sometimes for 20 minutes several times per day .

I even did a new clean WinXP install with software loaded and BD did the same .

I found the solution

Uninstalled BD

Downloaded C***** Internet Security for FREE

Installed it

Results : A new pc and ready at MY command .

BD has got a huge problem and CANNOT resolve it . Look at how many user are instructed to send files to them and nothing happens .

• This has been an ongoing problem with BD for quite some time now, and I too suffer the same problem on the 3 computers I have BD installed on. This topic has appeared several times over the last couple of years on the forum and obviously this is just a problem with how BD is programmed to run and they cannot fix it. In my opinion BD does a great job of handling antivirus issues, but this constant freezing up of my computers while vsserve.exe and livesrv.exe run has worn my patience thin. I too am about to move on to another security service provider.

• I have had the same problem on my laptop using xp home edition (service pack 3) and bitdefender 2011 as well. After booting, it would take a minute or two to start and then for the next 10 minutes I would not be able to do anything as it was eating up all the resources. I tried many suggestions from the forums, but nothing helped.

To make a long story short, I finally found a method that worked. Turns out that if I stopped bdagent.exe from running, then everything worked fine. I lost the red icon in the tray, but that is no big issue. I also realize that I may not get popup messages and such, but again, I can live with that. The on access scanning is still working and the auto updates is also working fine.

The steps to follow are:

1) turn off bdagent.exe from running at startup. I used ccleaner to do this, but you can use whatever method you prefer

2) reboot

3) remove the old shortcut to bdagent from the desktop and add a new shortcut to c:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender <version>\seccenter.exe

When you want to configure bitdefender or manually update or manually scan, etc. you can use the shortcut on the destop. Seccenter.exe works fine. Contrary to popular belief, even vsserv.exe is working fine. It's only bdagent (the utility that ties them all together) that is messed up.

I really hope this help others fix their problem. More than that, I hope bitdefender developers are able to use this information to fix the cause of the problem.

• Hello,

@aqmy:

@stainedglass:

@kninejim:

@idalot:

Please read THIS topic in order to upgrade to our latest version, BitDefender 2011.

Kind regards,