Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Home Or Public Network Selection

Options

I am constantly being prompted to select whether my wireless network is Home or Public whenever I restart my laptop. I checked the settings for BD to remember the selection, but the settings never stays.. Any idea?

Comments

• I am constantly being prompted to select whether my wireless network is Home or Public whenever I restart my laptop. I checked the settings for BD to remember the selection, but the settings never stays.. Any idea?

Same happening here on all my computers.

There was an update for BD yesterday or this morning, I suspect it must have included a glitch...

To DannyDan: Hi Daniel. Hope all is well. The 3 computers still running BD like a charm since your intervention.

Was there a problem with the latest update? I am getting the same issue as Zozocale?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Cheers.

Jake

• Hey Jake,

Long time no see mate :)

I need few more details from both of you as follows:

- your OS

- your Wireless adapter

- the actual settings made for that adapter under Firewall -> Network within BitDefender Security Center (in Expert View)

Regards,

P.S. I do not encounter the same issue on my laptop so I presume it's for a certain network adapter, not a general issue.

• JakeR
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Hey Jake,

Long time no see mate :)

I need few more details from both of you as follows:

- your OS

- your Wireless adapter

- the actual settings made for that adapter under Firewall -> Network within BitDefender Security Center (in Expert View)

Regards,

P.S. I do not encounter the same issue on my laptop so I presume it's for a certain network adapter, not a general issue.

Hi Daniel,

Good to read you again B)

This happened at the same time on both my desktops, however one of them got a second update with reboot a bit later, and it now stopped having the issue.

On the one left:

- Vista Home Premium 32 bit

- Settings are Trusted - No - Remote - Yes. However, you have to reset the settings eveytime you reboot as BD seems to have lost the "identification" of the wireless network (which is why it prompts you to choose the type of network everytime you re-boot; and yes, I do tick the box for remembering this network).

- Wireless Router: Linksys WAG54GS (however no problem with my Windows 7 LapTop)

I will now uninstall and re-install on the desktop with the issue. Will let you know if issue is solved then.

Good luck!

Take care,

Jake

• Hi Jake,

Actually I believe you only need to update the Wireless driver. That's the reason why you don't have that error on the Windows 7 PC.

Please keep me posted via email or forum, or even better, both :)

• Hi Jake,

Actually I believe you only need to update the Wireless driver. That's the reason why you don't have that error on the Windows 7 PC.

Please keep me posted via email or forum, or even better, both :)

Hi Daniel,

Well, same wireless driver (and OS) on the other desktop and it does not have that problem...

This problem appeared after the last BD update, nothing else has changed (this is the Kid's computer, they can't change anything on it... I'm a strict dad for that :-) ).

Just tried uninstall twice (as I learned doing when you did live support with me), clean re-installs, everything works, except remembering the bloody Wireless Network. Hmmm.

Updating wireless driver: it has worked all the way with BD until a couple of days back (update). Why woudl it need to be changed now do you think? According to Windows I have the most up to date driver?

Tough one but I'm sure you'll find a solution :-)

Take care

Jake

• Unknown
    edited November 2010
    Options

Looks like we need to start a new remote session Jake. Please send me the info via email in response to the ticket you had open with me. Mention: a phone number, a convenient time where you can be reached and, of course, the ID and password for the TeamViewer.

• We are experiencing the same issue as well, it has been ongoing for a few weeks now where it promts us at every restart. This is occuring on 2 of our laptops and never was an issue until we did a BD update and ever since then has been giging us this issue.

Toshiba Satellite C650

Windows 7 (64 Bit)

Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter

• We are experiencing the same issue as well, it has been ongoing for a few weeks now where it promts us at every restart. This is occuring on 2 of our laptops and never was an issue until we did a BD update and ever since then has been giging us this issue.

Toshiba Satellite C650

Windows 7 (64 Bit)

Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter

Firewall network settings Settings are Home/Office - No - Remote - No

*** I change to Trusted but reverts back to home/office upon restart

• Have you checked to see if the wireless driver you have installed for your Atheros is the latest? There are some known problems with Atheros wireless adapters/drivers as discussed here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...ost&p=94364

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...&hl=atheros

Regards,

• Have you checked to see if the wireless driver you have installed for your Atheros is the latest? There are some known problems with Atheros wireless adapters/drivers as discussed here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...ost&p=94364

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...&hl=atheros

Regards,

Thank you for your suggestion and yes the driver is up to date. Thats one of my "quirks" I am always on the prowl to make certain all our laptops are current and up to date.

I have not seen this issue on our other 2 Toshiba's, they also run Windows 7 (64bit) but are not the same model #

• I need to know what update exactly is causing this issue to appear. Would be best if you could check the Update Logs (from the View Logs link on the lower side of the BitDefender window) and tell me the date / time or the name of the files updated when this issue starting to occur.

We are already aware of it and working on a fix, however, we do need to gather more info until we will come with a resolution.

• I need to know what update exactly is causing this issue to appear. Would be best if you could check the Update Logs (from the View Logs link on the lower side of the BitDefender window) and tell me the date / time or the name of the files updated when this issue starting to occur.

We are already aware of it and working on a fix, however, we do need to gather more info until we will come with a resolution.

Hi Danny,

Sorry, was out for a couple of days. As I read it now, no need for remote session as you guys are working on a solution.

From my logs, I can see three updates with reboot required on 12 November (when the issue started for me):

NB: time is CET

10.08 hrs: files ph_black.dat, as2_fun.slf and recommendations.dll

11.08 hrs: files as2_fun.slf and ph_black.dat

12.08 hrs: files as2_fun.slf and ph_black.dat

Hope this helps to identify the glitch :-)

Take care Daniel.

Jake

Unfortunatley I do not recall the exact date of the install besides having to do a restart afterwards and thats where the issue started. At the time I didnt think anything of it only after seeing the same request over and over again after doing further shutdown/restarts over.

Is there a way I can just send you a copy of my update file (copy & paste?)

• Updating the driver for the wireless card didn't do the trick for me.... Thanks...

• I am not certain if this update had any bearing on thr issue I was having, but my BD did a "larger" than usual update a short time ago and when I restarted it did not promt me to choose "home or public network selection".

I performed several restarts and shut downs to confirm this and so far so good no more prompting.

I will keep you updated if this issue resumes (crossing my fingers) :=)

• Network configurations is another issue as well. Network Type switch itself to untrusted, and stealth automatically turned ON. Zone adapters doesn't stick either which causes device access to become unavailable until the zones are added back, but only to disappear later... I am thinking of rolling back to 2010 until the issue is resolved...

• Hi Daniel,

Haven't read you for a while. Hope you are well.

Is there any progress on this issue?

Take care,

Jake

• C'mon guys, what is happening here?

We haven't had an answer since November 24, the issue was only on one of my 2 desktops (both Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit).

This morning update BD with reboot required, now the problem is on both my Desktops.

Daniel, can you please try to help here. It is extremely annoying to every time have to select the type of network when you start your computer.

Hope you can put a finger on the issue and solve it fast!!

Take care,

Jake

• Same problem with my PPPoE connection on windows 7 (x64).

• Hello,

A fix has been announced to resolve the issue you encounter. Please read the topic below and then confirm in THAT topic if the issue is resolved or persist.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...t=0#entry107855

Topic closed.

Best regards,