Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Windows 7 Indexing Is Not Working In Bitdefender 2011

Options

I would like to report a compatibility problem of Bitdefender Internet Security 2011 with Windows 7 premium 32 Bit. I experienced a problem which was not there with Bitdefender 2010. After installing Bitdefender Internet Security 2011, I realised my Windows Indexing / File Searching function had stopped completely. The Windows was unable to index any files at all although it would show it was "indexing - 0 files completed"..

I uninstalled Bitdefender 2011 Antivirus and found that the Windows 7 Indexing / Search - was reactivated successfully.

If you could please help, that would be most beneficial to all Bitdefender customers who are experiencing the problem

but have not yet realised the cause could be an incompatibility between Bitdfender 2011 and Windows Indexing / Search function.

I am guessing Bitdefender would have received some similar reports from other customers?

If you have any solution ar any patch then please help....

post-39466-1290672741_thumb.png

Comments

• Yes, this issue has been reported to BD. Until a permanent fix is released, I have found that it is not necessary to completely uninstall BD. Temporarily turning off the antivirus module and rebuilding the index allows the index file to be built correctly. I then turn the antivirus module back on and Windows searches work correctly.

Since rebuilding the index file can take a long time depending on the number of files being indexed, I installed the Indexer Status Gadget which allows me to temporarily speed up the indexing priority.

Hope this helps,

• Indeed the issue has been reported and we are currently gathering information to find a fix for it.

Gary: please check your email and send me the requested info. Thanks.

Pankaj Grover: Can we schedule a remote session to troubleshoot the issue you encounter ? Please check your email and send me the requested information, if you agree. Your ticket ID is: 201011281015723.

Looking forward to your answer!

• I'm having the same issue with Windows 7 search refusing to index once Antivirus 2011 is installed. I uninstalled BD and then re-indexed and then reinstalled BD hoping it was an error in the initial installation. Unfortunately, since I've reinstalled BD no new information has been indexed. Momentarily turning off the Antivirus services won't index any new items automatically as I hoped and I don't want to re-index every time I enter a new contact name in Outlook. I appreciate any help.

• I'm having the same issue with Windows 7 search refusing to index once Antivirus 2011 is installed. I uninstalled BD and then re-indexed and then reinstalled BD hoping it was an error in the initial installation. Unfortunately, since I've reinstalled BD no new information has been indexed. Momentarily turning off the Antivirus services won't index any new items automatically as I hoped and I don't want to re-index every time I enter a new contact name in Outlook. I appreciate any help.

You are correct, new files may or may not be indexed correctly with the A/V module turned on. Also, as you discovered, simply turning off the A/V module will not go back and pick up any new files in the index. For the time being the only workaround I have found is to periodically switch off the A/V module and rebuild the index. Then switch the A/V module back on. Using the Indexer Status Gadget I posted above really speeds up the indexing and reduces the amount of time it takes. Of course, YMMV depending on your PC and the number of files to be indexed.

I am trying to get set up to do a remote session with BD tech support, but I still have some work to do on my end in order to get ready.

Regards,

• Gary: please check your email and send me the requested info. Thanks.

Reply to the email sent. :)

• yeah exact same issue for me! I'm goiing to try switching off the AV but that means PC is not protected anymore! I'm already not protected cause the firewall if not working properly, so I've paid for a software that doesn't do the job!!!!!! But of course you took my money all the same!

• Switch off the A/V, rebuild the index, switch the A/V back on. You're protected.

That's what I've been doing until a fix is released.

Regards,

• Tried that but it didn't work, still couldn't index anything (even with your widget installed). So I uninstalled BDTS2011 completely, indexed and reinstalled BD, it worked. Not that I had other problems with BD so I had to uninstall anyway, it solved everything.

Looking forward to the next update that fixes this! It's incredible that they did not see this before releasing the 2011 version!

• Interesting that you had to completely uninstall BD in order for Win7 to index correctly. The difference may be that you are using BDTS and I am using BDAV. That may be an important distinction for the BD developers to know while they investigate the issue.

The more clues we can give them, the better.

Not that it is any consolation, but I can tell you that BD is not the only major security software provider to have this problem. I've read about this same issue on other forums.

Regards,

• The same problem here with BD Antivirus 2011.

I've disabled the antivirus module like in the discribtion above and I also tried it with the gadget, no chance to get a new index file. The index service is running and tries to create a new file but it doesn't put any file to the index. I've tried it several times but always the counter of files in the index stays zero. Last time I let it run 5 hours with the gadget (that was just a test I don't have that much stuff on my PC or that bad Hardware) the service was started, but the counter stays zero. The antivirus module was deativated of course.

I hope there will be a resolution for this problem in the near future.

• @Nikki605: yes that's what Microsoft support told me (I called them for this problem).

@Andy2010: I don't have the same app (I have Total Security 2011), but the EXACT same issue! I had to do it again this afternoon. I really hope they will release a patch for this really soon cause I really need the indexing thing to work.

• @Andy2010: Your issue sounds different. With or without the Gadget, with or without BDIS, the indexing operation does run to completion on my system.

post-35640-1291411087_thumb.jpg

The Gadget simply bumps the priority within Win7 so that the indexing runs uninterrupted. In my situation, the indexing operation runs and completes but with the BDIS A/V module enabled, the contents of files is not reliably indexed so that subsequent Windows Searches do not find the files with the contents I know to be there. BD doesn't interfere with the indexing operation, it causes the results to be inaccurate, in my experience.

Regards,

• Simply disabling the A/V or all other BD services is not enough for me to get Windows 7 indexing my files. I had to stop the service by rebooting in safe mode and then switching the Startup Type to Manual in services.msc. Once it was completely off then I could rebuild the index and restart BD.

• Nikki, read our posts again including the one just above, it just does NOT work for us the way it does for you! BD DOES interfere with the indexing for me too, as I can't index anything if BD is running, even when disabling AV or even AV + firewall.

• Andy2010
    edited December 2010
    Options

Ok, here if got a picture of the situation. I can rebuild the index, the service starts but it doesn't find anything. I can let run for hours and hours the number of elements is zero everytime and the Windows Search doesn't find anything because there's no index.

post-36748-1291414493_thumb.png

• Nikki, read our posts again including the one just above, it just does NOT work for us the way it does for you!

I'm agreeing with you. Where I said, "Your issue sounds different" and "... in my experience." Apparently, the issue is manifesting itself differently on different PCs. I was just explaining the symptoms I was seeing on my PC.

Regards,

• Hello,

The indexing issue is already escalated and a fix will be released soon. As a workaround you can rename the file bdselfpr.sys into bdselfpr.old from the installation folder in Windows Safe Mode. Also you will need to disable the automatic updates as the first product update will rename back the bdselfpr file into bdselfpr.sys and the issue will re-occur.

- bdselfpr.sys default location:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011

- [how to start Windows in Safe Mode]

* If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power

* Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.

* Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.

* Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.

* Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.

* When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

Kind regards,

• thanks for this. Do you have an ETA on the fix? Cause if it's like 3 weeks, I guess it's not wise to disable automatic update, but if it's like 2-3 days it's better......

• .... just tried it and I confirm it works fine... but again, had to stop the update....

• Stopping the Updates will only prevent BitDefender from downloading any new virus signatures. However, your PC will still be protected against all the others signatures already loaded into Real Time Protection module.

I know it's not the best workaround however it's the only one I could come with for the time being. What you can do is to manually update BitDefender with the latest definitions. The location of the Weekly.exe file is:

http://download.bitdefender.com/updates/bitdefender_2011/

- for x86 download the file:

http://download.bitdefender.com/updates/bi.../x86/weekly.exe

- for x64 download the file:

http://download.bitdefender.com/updates/bi.../x64/weekly.exe

• tierix
    edited December 2010
    Options

oh forgot I could update manually, that's great! THANK YOU! Do you mind posting here when a fix will be implemented in the updates so that we know when to enable automatic updates again please? Thank you

Question though pls: I looked at the files and the 32bt one is of Nov 25th! I thought they were weekly files? How does it work exactly, what day of the week is this file supposed to be updated? thnx

• terri
    edited December 2010
    Options

I had this problem with W7, and after following several fixes from BD, I finally found the problem. It is the Virus Shield. After disabling it I ran the indexing, then enabled BD again.

It will have to do until a fix is found. Might do a weekly fix until then.

• I had this problem with W7, and after following several fixes from BD, I finally found the problem. It is the Virus Shield. After disabling it I ran the indexing, then enabled BD again.

It will have to do until a fix is found. Might do a weekly fix until then.

terri - which BD product do you have installed: Antivirus Pro, Internet Security or Total Security?

Awaiting your reply,

• terri - which BD product do you have installed: Antivirus Pro, Internet Security or Total Security?

Awaiting your reply,

It's Antivirus Pro 2011.

• terri - thanks for your reply. :)

I was just trying to gather some statistical information. I also use BDAV Pro and have found the same workaround as you did - temporarily turning off the A/V module and rebuilding the index seems to work.

For users who have BDIS & BDTS installed, this workaround does not appear to work.

Thanks again,

• Hi!

I've similar problem after upgrade to BitDefender IS 2011 (first uninstall BD IS 2010 and install again BD IS 2011).

Every approx 5 minutes I get the following error in Event Viewer (xml in polish langage depend on Win7 PL):

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Search" Guid="{CA4E628D-8567-4896-AB6B-835B221F373F}" EventSourceName="Windows Search Service" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">3100</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>3</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-12-11T08:21:01.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>7458</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Danny-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data Name="ExtraInfo">Szczegóły: Operacja została zwrócona, ponieważ przekroczono limit czasu. (HRESULT : 0x800705b4) (0x800705b4)</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Same as above in a screen capture:

post-40061-1292059753_thumb.png

Additional information about my configuration:

- Windows 7 PL (polish)

- BitDefender IS 2011 EN (english) Build: 14.0.24.337

These errors really cause the BitDefender. I conducted a test in which anti-virus turned off and the errors no longer appear!

Can anyone help me in eliminating these errors?

Regards,

--

Scottie

• I think this is a ridiculous situation! I paid good money for three years of Bitdefender and now I find out it stops Windows 7 indexing!!

I spent hours and hours trying to figure what was wrong with my indexing. I need to search my email many times every day. I had tried many solutions suggested on the internet and had already decided on BUYING another program to make it possible to search my email in Outlook whenI stumbled upon the fact that is's Bitdefender that's interfering with the indexing!

I have now had to uninstall Bitdefender and install a free program when I have paid good money for your program! Solve this quickly or give me back my money!

A very ######-off customer!

• I have the same issue with index and network performance too. It´s time to the BD team to found a solution to this issue.

• I have the same issue with index and network performance too. It´s time to the BD team to found a solution to this issue.

I have to remove the BD and install the trial of Norton and the Windows Search error occurrence stooped. Now I have everything working well with my system.

When will BD 2011 have a final fix for this situation? Where can I download the BD Total Security 2010 and use my 2011 key?

• it's annoying that no one is answering us on an ETA for this!! THe most ridiculous thing is that Windows 7 is 1 year old and it's like if BD is just discovering that the windows search is not working! wtf? I think it's gonna be the last year I buy that s**

• Unknown
    edited December 2010
    Options

Hello,

I have finished a patch that will resolve the issue you encounter until a fix will be delivered via Updates module.

Tierix: ticket ID: 201012031011226;

Scottie: ticket ID: 201012181012942;

Terri: ticket ID: 201012061008516;

Vins: ticket ID: 201012181013221;

- please check your email and use the patch to replace the bdselfpr.sys file with the new version of the driver to resolve the indexing issue you encounter

BDisp: you will need to re-install BitDefender AFTER you uninstall Norton using the uninstall tool they provide. When you are done send me a PM and request the patch.

• Your patch seems to work, thank you very much. My apologies for my frustration above (but in my defense, there's been so much hassle with this software that it's hard to keep cool).

Following the installation of your patch, I can still use the indexing in Windows 7 32bits.

Thank you again

• Before I receive your message I already had remove Norton and install the version BDTS 2010 with the 2011 keys. I prefer waiting until a final fix is apply. Please let me now as soon that fix is available. Thanks.

• Hello,

I have finished a patch that will resolve the issue you encounter until a fix will be delivered via Updates module.

Tierix: ticket ID: 201012031011226;

Scottie: ticket ID: 201012181012942;

Terri: ticket ID: 201012061008516;

Vins: ticket ID: 201012181013221;

- please check your email and use the patch to replace the bdselfpr.sys file with the new version of the driver to resolve the indexing issue you encounter

BDisp: you will need to re-install BitDefender AFTER you uninstall Norton using the uninstall tool they provide. When you are done send me a PM and request the patch.

Hello

I have the same problem. tried to solve it for 2 days !. from what i read here i understand that the cause was my Bitdefender total security 2011.

Can you please DanyDan send me the patch ?

thanks in advance.

• nikki605
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Hello

I have the same problem. tried to solve it for 2 days !. from what i read here i understand that the cause was my Bitdefender total security 2011.

Can you please DanyDan send me the patch ?

thanks in advance.

Is your Win7/BD installation 32-bit or 64-bit? I ask because, if I remember correctly from DanyDan, the bdselfpr.sys patched file only applies to Win7/BD 32-bit. A fix for Win7/BD 64-bit is still in development.

Regards,

• Is your Win7/BD installation 32-bit or 64-bit? I ask because, if I remember correctly from DanyDan, the bdselfpr.sys patched file only applies to Win7/BD 32-bit. A fix for Win7/BD 64-bit is still in development.

Regards,

Thanks for your concern

I am using windows 7 32 bit

• @ DanyDan

1. Does your patch only rename the bdselfpr.sys file, which you discribed on the first side ? Or are there any other changes that we can still use the automatic update with the patch ?

2. Is there any date when we can expect a fix from Bitdefender ?

Thank you

• @ DanyDan

1. Does your patch only rename the bdselfpr.sys file, which you discribed on the first side ?

Thank you

No, you cannot simply rename the file. It is a new version of the file and since it is not part of an official build would/could be overwritten by a "regular" product update.

Regards,

• The same problem for me!

Bitdefender IS 2011. Bitdefender is a aweful sowftware. Since 12.11.2010 no index update.

They are amateurs with this ###### soft.

I'll change.

I had the last 4 week 100 fault messages from this soft dirt.

• I've forgotten:

@DanyDan

"I know it's not the best workaround however it's the only one I could come with for the time being. What you can do is to manually update BitDefender with the latest definitions. The location of the Weekly.exe file is:"

It's a joke! Isn't it?

Please take a look to the data of the first post. If you have no time because you working since a month for a solution, so I'll write it down for you:

First bug report: Nov 25 2010, 10:12 AM

Oh sorry, you have a lot of time, there are some days left to the month!

One month with this critical problem.

Btw, sorry for my aggression cause I've set up my PC with new Windows 7 and all around that. 2 days.

Google wasn't available to find this thread but I know the bad Software Bitdefender. My search entry was after 2 days: Bitdefender Windows Search

In the past, my first action with windows problems was uninstall Bitdefender, sorry, my fault to go a other way now. What a shame!

Rank 1 for this thread in Google!

Btw 2: Bitdefender 2010 works (also indexing). So it is certain very difficult for Bitdefender to fix that problem.

Have fun whit you're sleeping work.

That was my last Bitdefender.

Btw 3: You're Bitdefender song was good! But you should take this time for the waste ("Software").

• WARNING GUYS: DO NOT INSTALL DANIEL'S PATCH IF HE GIVES IT TO YOU TOO!!!!!!!

Patch seemed to work at first, but then I got this "Anonymous user reports" coming up ALL THE TIME, a window that CANNOT be killed nor closed, that stays in the middle of the screen! Daniel connected to my PC and now it's worse, firewall doesn't work properly anymore and I have other problems.

Basically, his patch just SCREWED MY PC UP! He said he would call me back with a fix 3 DAYS AGO!!!!!!!!!

• That's Bitdefender!

Take the Version 2010, that works.

And after Release Bitdefender 2012, you can use Bitddefender 2011 without bugs, perhaps.

Bitdefender is amazing!

• Can we get an update about the solution release date ?

• Hi,

Riad: the permanent fix for the indexing issue will be released in January 2011. For the time being, as a workaround, you can manually replace the Real Time Protection driver with the new version using the patch mentioned above. I have created a ticket on your behalf and sent you instructions on how to apply the patch, via email.

Please check your email associated with your Forum account and let me know if the issue is resolved. Ticket ID: 201012261008879.

• Hi,

Riad: the permanent fix for the indexing issue will be released in January 2011. For the time being, as a workaround, you can manually replace the Real Time Protection driver with the new version using the patch mentioned above. I have created a ticket on your behalf and sent you instructions on how to apply the patch, via email.

Please check your email associated with your Forum account and let me know if the issue is resolved. Ticket ID: 201012261008879.

Hello DanyDan

Just to be sure: should I disable the automatic upgrade option ?

• Hello DanyDan

Just to be sure: should I disable the automatic upgrade option ?

@RIAD: BE CAREFULL!!!!!!!!!!! When I applied his "patch", it screwed the application up and he had to connect to my PC for 4 HOURS and even after that, it was still screwed! I had Bitdefender pop up window (like 70-80) openning at the same time and could NOT close them! It was a nightmare! So I thought I would warn you about his "miracle patch";

• Unknown
    edited December 2010
    Options

Yes Riad, the steps to disable the products updates until the fix will be released are included in my email.

Tierix: I find myself in the situation to ask you to stop posting things that you do not understand nor generalize the issue that only occurs on your PC. As I have explained you few times already, you are the one and only that had the issue with the Anonymous Usage Report, as you can also notice on the forum. Nobody from the users that were using the patch reported any issues.

I see no reason to patronize me nor to be ironic. I understand your frustration however you have no reason to post information that are not accurate, that will confuse the users and furthermore is not allow by our Forum Rules. I will not tolerated a third post like the one you posted few hours ago. If you continue with the off-topic and confusing posting I will have to disable your posting ability for 3 days.

I have also explained in the email I've sent you the fact that the reason why you encounter the issue is, possibly, because of something different on your PC, something that the regular systems do not have. I have tried to reproduce the issue you encounter on 6 different systems but I couldn't. The pop-ups do not appear regardless of the Firewall slider position. Please send me a convenient time and date when I can call you to schedule a second remote session and try to resolve the issue. I do have one more workaround to try. If you do not agree with the remote session and you wish to follow the steps yourself please let me know. You can also send me a PM with your answer if it's easier for you.

Regards,

• yeah we all know how "GREAT" you all are at Bitdefender! Just read this forum and all the posts of the people who are FED UP with this! It IS my responsability to warn people and share MY experience with your so-called patch! If others want to testify that your patch worked, fine, they can do that, but my experience is that not only it didn't work and it screwed my PC. and the people in this forum are allowed to know this because it can happen on their PC. If it happened on mine, it can happen on another one, I don't own an extraterrestrial PC.

I have the right to share my experience even if you don't like it! Or maybe you should open a chinese communist forum with only positive stuff about BD in it!

About your will to connect to my PC: When you last connected and spent more than 4 hours on it, and put my PC in a worse state then before you connected, you said I would be called back THE NEXT DAY to connect again!!!!!!! IT WAS 10 DAYS AGO!!!!!!!!!!

• Hi,

Riad: please post in here the results after you used the patch. Let me know if the issue is resolved or persist and also if you encountered any issues when you used the patch.

Tierix: Now I do find your post offensive therefore warned you with +20%. Your last three posts are offensive, you do not post your opinion, you generalize an isolated issue, even if you have seen for yourself that nobody reported any issues with my patch. I did not screw up your PC, I was investigating and trying different things to understand the issue and try to find a resolution. I may be experienced but I am not all-knowing, I do need to take some time, analyze certain logs and gather as many info as possible before jumping into any conclusions. I know that everyone wants to have all the issues resolved in a blink of an eye however please bear in mind that we are also humans, not robots.

I have apologized several times during the remote session for the extended time we took for the remote and asked you if you wish to stop it and continue when you will have the time, you said that you're OK with it. When you agreed with us performing the remote you should also understand that these remote sessions can take few hours or even more, depending on the issue, the PC performance and the Internet connection speed. Nevertheless the issue you are the most concern about is that you can't export / import the settings using the tool we created. This tool is offered as a gesture of good will on our behalf and at our users requests. Again, your PC is - at least for the time being - the only PC where the tool was not working.

I did spent not 4 but 5 hours and half trying to resolve the issue you encounter. The reason why I escalated a request to extend your license key with 6 months was because of the time you were to spend to try to resolve the issue. Furthermore, you mentioned that we had the remote session 10 days ago, however few emails were sent and a basic communication was kept and provided you with all the info I had at that time.

As already mentioned above, I do have one thing to test that I do believe that should resolve the issue you encounter. If you decide to continue troubleshooting please let me know. If you do not wish to, send a PM to George R. by clicking HERE; I have already explained him the case and he will assist you further. What I can say is that I am not happy with the lack of confidence you have in Us, our products and/or our engineers.

• tierix
    edited December 2010
    Options

What I can say is that I am not happy with the lack of confidence you have in Us, our products and/or our engineers.

--> and I'm not happy with the lack of stability with your software!!!! Can you imagine how many hours I have wasted because of your software in the past 3 years????? Can you imagine how many people are unhappy with your software on different forums? You should read them! so don't try to pose yourself as a victim here where WE ARE THE VICTIMS! I want to pay for a FINISHED product, not a beta version, is that too much to ask?????? As someone said above, 2011 products will be working when 2012 products will be out and so on, this is how it works with Bitdefender!

Anyway, Bitdefender was so screwed up, whether it's your fault or not, that I decided to format my whole PC. I now have windows 7 64Bits instead of the 32Bits I had earlier.