Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender 2011 Privacy Concern - All Applications Are Logged - No Option To Turn Off

Options
earnolmartin
edited December 2010 in Others

Users of BitDefender 2011,

I just noticed yesterday that BitDefender 2011 keeps intrusive application logs that are a violation of consumer privacy. While looking at the various logs BitDefender kept, I noticed that under Parental Controls, every application I had run on my computer had been logged into BitDefender. BitDefender also recorded how much time I had spent using each application.

Even though Parental Controls are Off, it still logs your applications, and there is NO option to turn this off.

My question is why is BitDefender interested in this information? Where's the option to turn off the logging, and why am I being logged when Parental Controls are off?

I find this unacceptable. I hope BitDefender will release an update that allows us to disable this intrusive feature. A lot of people including myself will be angry when they notice just how much of their activities on their computer are being logged. Granted, you can manually clear the logs, but I don't want them being kept to begin with.

To view this information yourself, bring up BitDefender, click on the Parental Controls tab, Click on View Logs, and click on the Application Log tab, and you will see an entry of everything you've done on your machine.

I've attached screenshots of what my list looked like to demonstrate how this feature is unacceptable.

post-2193-1291841732_thumb.jpg

post-2193-1291841742_thumb.jpg

Comments

• cherry_inf
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Users of BitDefender 2011,

I just noticed yesterday that BitDefender 2011 keeps intrusive application logs that are a violation of consumer privacy. While looking at the various logs BitDefender kept, I noticed that under Parental Controls, every application I had run on my computer had been logged into BitDefender. BitDefender also recorded how much time I had spent using each application.

Even though Parental Controls are Off, it still logs your applications, and there is NO option to turn this off.

My question is why is BitDefender interested in this information? Where's the option to turn off the logging, and why am I being logged when Parental Controls are off?

I find this unacceptable. I hope BitDefender will release an update that allows us to disable this intrusive feature. A lot of people including myself will be angry when they notice just how much of their activities on their computer are being logged. Granted, you can manually clear the logs, but I don't want them being kept to begin with.

To view this information yourself, bring up BitDefender, click on the Parental Controls tab, Click on View Logs, and click on the Application Log tab, and you will see an entry of everything you've done on your machine.

I've attached screenshots of what my list looked like to demonstrate how this feature is unacceptable.

Hey,

i asked exactly the same in the german sub-board 5 days ago.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=22934

Sadly i got no answer.

I'm interested in a solution for this, too.

• Hey,

i asked exactly the same in the german sub-board 5 days ago.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=22934

Sadly i got no answer.

I'm interested in a solution for this, too.

I opened a support ticket. I'll keep you updated.

• I opened a support ticket. I'll keep you updated.

BitDefender told me via the ticket that the issue had been solved, but that's not the case.

In XP x64 SP2, it's still logging all of my applications.

• BitDefender told me via the ticket that the issue had been solved, but that's not the case.

In XP x64 SP2, it's still logging all of my applications.

lol, i was told it's a feature not a bug... (german subboard: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=22934)

In 7 x64 it's still logging everything, too.

• Hello,

@king123: Indeed the applications are logged however that information is NOT sent to BitDefender, it is only stored in your PC and can not be retrieved remotely. The list of applications can only be accessed from that PC. If there are multiple persons using that PC you can set a product password so nobody will read the logs except you or those knowing the password you set.

Furthermore keep in mind that you can always use the "Clear logs" button.

Eric may I have the ticket ID where you were notified that the issue has been resolved ? As far as I know it hasn't been yet. It has been reported but the fix wasn't released yet.

• Hello,

@king123: Indeed the applications are logged however that information is NOT sent to BitDefender, it is only stored in your PC and can not be retrieved remotely. The list of applications can only be accessed from that PC. If there are multiple persons using that PC you can set a product password so nobody will read the logs except you or those knowing the password you set.

Furthermore keep in mind that you can always use the "Clear logs" button.

Eric may I have the ticket ID where you were notified that the issue has been resolved ? As far as I know it hasn't been yet. It has been reported but the fix wasn't released yet.

201012091011671 is the ticket ID, and yes the problem still has not been resolved.... or least, it still doesn't have the option to turn off the logging.

• 201012091011671 is the ticket ID, and yes the problem still has not been resolved.... or least, it still doesn't have the option to turn off the logging.

Any news on this?

• M.Hennicke
    edited December 2010
    Options

Under Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and BD IS2011 V14.0.24.337 the Problem is NOT fixed. All Parental Controls are turn off, as seen in post #1, and BD is logging soon.

• Hello,

Eric: My colleague dealing with your ticket (ID: 201012091011671) hasn't received any answer in request to generate a fresh log file. I have sent you the instructions again, please create the FULL dump logs and send me the results via email as attachment.

Matthias: I have created a ticket (ID: 201012261000023) and sent you instructions on how to generate the same logs as Eric. Follow the steps and send me as a reply the results.

Thank you!

• Hello,

Eric: My colleague dealing with your ticket (ID: 201012091011671) hasn't received any answer in request to generate a fresh log file. I have sent you the instructions again, please create the FULL dump logs and send me the results via email as attachment.

Matthias: I have created a ticket (ID: 201012261000023) and sent you instructions on how to generate the same logs as Eric. Follow the steps and send me as a reply the results.

Thank you!

This issue has still not been resolved despite constant email contact with BitDefender technical support.

• Unknown
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hello,

What you describe above is how the product is designed to work. I find it useful to see the application log and harmless. Considering this you have two choices:

- either set a Windows username password so nobody can login to your account and check the application list;

- either I can instruct you on how to remove the Parental Control module entirely. Note that it will NOT be displayed in BitDefender Security Center anymore, the entire module will be disabled.

To disable Parental Control you need to edit the following registry key in Windows Safe mode:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BitDefender\BitDefender Total Security 2011

- note that the key will be different depending on the product you are using.

1. Start Windows in Safe Mode;

2. Click on the START menu button and go to Run;

3. Type regedit and hit OK;

4. Locate the above registry key;

On the right side of the regedit window you will find a key called Config. Double click on the key to edit it (as shown in the attached screenshot). To disable the Parental Control you need to remove the PC under Value data field so it will look like this:

OA,OD,AS,AC,AP,FW,GM,EC,FV,BK,TP,HM,RG,MD,ID,PR,VL,PT,UP,IS,ST,SI,OS,BY,PM

[how to start Windows in Safe Mode]

If Windows is the only operating system installed on your computer, boot into Safe Mode with these instructions:

* If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power

* Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.

* Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.

* Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.

* Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.

* When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

I hope my suggestion will fit your needs. Feel free to contact us with any further queries you may have.

Best regards,

post-20064-1298398315_thumb.jpg

• I'll give it a shot, and I'll let you know. I always wanted to disable the Parental Control feature altogether since it is not needed on my computer.

Thanks for the info and help!

• rootkit
    Options

Hi

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Should you need further information, please do not hesitate to reply to this message.

Have a nice day.