Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Grey Bd Icon Slowdown

Options
Drake2
edited December 2010 in Antivirus

After updating from BD 2009 a few days ago, I've noticed that oftentimes,when I'm using my computer, I'll experience a major slowdown and the BD icon in the system tray will go gray, claiming that vsserev.exe isn't responding. This problem usually ends up with me restarting my computer, which fixes the problem temporarily. I did a little bit of research on the forums and found that this seems to be a pretty common problem. In addition to BD 2011, I have Spybot S&S (TeaTimer not active) and WinPatrol. I don't think that WinPatrol is causing the problem, as I'd been experiencing the problem before installing it. I'm running Windows XP Home edition 2002 Service Pack 3. One program that seems to set off the problem is Eraser.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Hi Drake,

Please provide me with the following information:

- what BitDefender product are you using;

- reproduce the exact steps you took when you upgraded from 2009 to 2011;

- what PC architecture are you using: 32-bits or 64-bits;

- please explain what you mean by "One program that seems to set off the problem is Eraser" - the issue ? What is Eraser ?

Does the WinPatrol software have a real time protection module/feature (like the purchased version of Malwarebytes) or a registry control feature/function like Spybot ? If any of these is correct then you need to uninstall it.

Last but not least follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file.

Looking forward to your answer!

• 1.I'm using BD Total Security 2011.

2.When I updated, I downloaded the trial version of BD 2011 and put in my license key when it asked if I had one. As it was installing, it prompted me to uninstall BD 2009, so I let it uninstall.

3.I'm using 32-bit Windows XP.

4.Eraser is a secure deletion program, and it seems to cause the BD icon to go gray when I try to securely delete the free space on my drive.

5.WinPatrol is what I use to manage my startup programs. It does scan to see if anything is trying to establish itself as a startup program, if this counts as real-time protection I wouldn't know.

6. I will send the message with the log file shortly.

• Hi Drake,

I have created you a ticket with ID: 201012291008865. Please check your email associated with your forum account and send me the requested information.

Regards,

• I followed the instructions in the email and sent a return email, should I send it by PM too?

• I followed the instructions in the email and sent a return email, should I send it by PM too?

Yes, to be sure he sees it, I would also send a PM to DanyDan.

Happy New Year :)

• Reply sent via email. Besides the steps I enclosed in my email, also please follow the steps below and the issue should not occur anymore:

1. Open the BitDefender window, select Options, then select the Expert View.

2. Go to the Update module and click on Settings;

3. Uncheck the boxes:

- Upload BitDefender files from this PC

- Enable Update sharing (P2P)

4. Click on Apply

Please confirm if the issue has been resolved.

• Sorry it took me so long to respond (I've been busy). After uninstalling WinPatrol, the problem seemed to have gone away for the most part, however, it would still occur in the middle of the night while my scheduled scan was running, causing the scan to fail and give me an error message. I uninstalled Spybot to see if it would fix that problem.

• Hi,

You should have uninstalled both other security solution. Also I would recommend a fresh install of BitDefender AFTER you remove the other two software.

The steps you should take are:

- uninstall WinPatrol;

- uninstall SpyBot;

- restart PC;

- uninstall BitDefender with the uninstall tool ( http://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall );

- restart the PC;

- clean your Windows Registry with a registry cleaner ( CCleaner, Argente etc... )

- restart the PC;

- install BitDefender by downloading the product you purchased installation kit again; you can find the download links listed in the topic below:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=20566

Please let me know if the issue persist after you reinstall.

• Okay, I did all of that, now we wait to see if it helped.

• Well, it seems to have worked, I haven't had the Grey Icon problem, but sometimes, my scheduled scans will still fail and give me an error message.

• Hi,

What type of scheduled scan ? At startup ? Daily/weekly etc ? What is the error message you get when the scan fails ? Does the scan fails when starting or during the scan ? Does the scan always crashes at the same file ? Please provide me with more details so I can understand the issue.

Regards,