Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Device Manager And Unknown Devices

Options

I have been wondering what 3 "Unknown Devices" were in my Device Manager since uninstalling BDIS 2009.

These are the Registry Entries for them

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_BDFM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_BDFSFLTR

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_BDFTDIF

There is noway to update the drivers for these Unknown Devices and feel they are most likely dead ends.

Is it cool to delete these 3 entries from my registry.

I am currently running BDIS 2010. I think they were used in BDIS 2009. I tried running BDIS 2011 but got sick of beta testing a broken product so opted to uninstall BD 2011 and reinstall 2010. At least for the time being.

Thanks for a reply

Comments

• Mihaela M.
    edited January 2011
    Options

Hi Corpus,

I do not recommend you to delete that keys because they are also used by the new versions, 2010 and 2011. Because the final version of BitDefender 2011 has been launched, I would recommend you to give it a try. In case you are interested in using it, in the link below you have the necessary instructions on how to use it:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...ost&p=91020

Thank you!

• Then How do I get rid of those 3 "Other Devices" which are listed in in my device manager with question marks beside them? When I right click each of them and go to properties each state the locations of the above mentioned registry entries.

This is not normal for device manager to show an "unknown device" which can not have the driver updated. Clearly there is some problem with this situation.

Please help me find the solution.

Thanks.

• You didn't state which Windows OS (XP, Vista, Win7 - 32-bit or 64-bit) you are using, but under which category in Device Manager do you see these unknown devices? I am running BDAV Pro 2011 on this Win7 Pro x64 laptop and do not see unknown devices in Device Manager.

post-35640-1294252898_thumb.jpg

I agree with Mihaela, do NOT delete those keys from the Registry! I have similar (not all identical) entries in my Registry and have to believe that it would cause a problem to just delete them.

post-35640-1294252912_thumb.jpg

This is what I would do (basically, uninstall BD, troubleshoot the Device Manager unknown entries, then reinstall BD):

-Uninstall BD using the Uninstall Tool. Reboot the PC.

-Download, install and run CCleaner, both the Cleaner and Registry functions. Allow CCleaner to backup any Registry changes, just in case. Reboot the PC.

-Check to see if the unknown devices are still in Device Manger. If they are, then first export those Registry keys to have a backup and then delete them. Reboot the PC.

-Check again to see if the unknown devices are still in Device Manager.

-Assuming they are no longer shown, reinstall BD.

-If the unknown devices still appear, continue troubleshooting. :wacko:

Regards,

• post-29589-1294273890_thumb.jpg

Why would these reg entries showing up as devices in my manager anyway?

Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys. Just don't want to uninstall reinstall.. Know what I mean... Yeah you do.

• Yeah, I understand. :rolleyes: But I think the uninstall/clean/reinstall is the quickest way to resolve the problem.

As far as why... :huh:

Regards,

• Corpus Masochist
    edited January 2011
    Options

So I uninstalled BDIS 2010 and with it went the issues with the Unknown devices from Device Manager. Instead of reinstalling BDIS 2010 I thought I'll give BDIS 2011 another go. I have to say this time everything from installing, updating, scanning and general usability has went smoothly. I have only had it installed for a couple hours now but time will tell if any of the many issues I was experiencing with it a couple months ago still persist.

Anyway so far so good lets just say.

|-----> Still I would really like to know why I had 3 Unknown Devices in my Device Manager associated with Bitdefender.

Any ideas anyone????

• The previous BD install did not complete normally. Any number of things could have gone wrong. Results - unpredictable.

Regards,

• Thanks G. You guys here are quite good at helping people like myself find solutions to the problems you guys at Bitdefender have created for us. :D