Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Optimal Firewall / Network Configuration For Home Network

Options

Hi,

I have recently installed BD Total Security 2011 on two PC's on a Home Network, which are as follows:

Windows Vista Home Premium - 32 Bit

2 GB RAM

Intel Core 2 Duo - 2GHz

Connected via WiFi to D-Link DIR-655

------------------

Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 Bit

4 GB RAM

Quad Core 3GHz

Connected via a wired LAN to D-Link DIR-655

------------------

I am not experiencing any issues / problems, but have been trying to determine the most appropriate, safe, configuration for the Firewall / Network settings on my Home Network. The two PC's are family computers, and should be able to communicate with each other freely for Network shares (for which they do at present).

I have searched Bitdefender help and support both online and via the tab on the BD interface. Although there are some explanations for each option - Network type / VPN / Stealth / Generic, I still remain unsure as to what I should be setting these at.

At present, I have the following settings:

Network Type: Home/Office

VPN: No

Stealth: On

Generic: Yes

Network Zones:

IP addresses for my Router, and both PC's have been added with a Trust Level set at Allow.

Would anyone recommend that I change these, or advise as to where I might find a more comprehensive help page to explain the various settings and their impact on the Home Network?

Many thanks.

Comments

• coolcool1227
    Options

If you are on Home Network, then select

Stealth Mode: OFF

Network Type: Home/Office

and keep other settings you already selected.

You can find some details in "C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\Support\offlinemanual\html\" and User guide from here

• Many thanks for the swift reply and help, ONT.

I've reconfigured as you've suggested, cheers.

I was a little concerned about turning the Stealth Mode off, thinking that this might be allowing access / pings to my PC from the internet, but does the ''Generic'' / or other settings within the Firewall prevent this? I've just tried an online SheildsUP Port Scan test, and all appears to be well ... i.e. .... no ports open.

• Hello,

The Generic under Network refers to having the same settings saved for that type of network adapter. The option to block port scans can be found under Firewall -> Advanced Settings button.

I would recommend you to read the explanation for each of the levels of the Firewall slider along with the offline manual found in the installation folder:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\Support\offlinemanual\html

If you have any further queries feel free to contact us anytime!

Kind regards,