Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Help! Bitdefender Won't Scan. [resolved]

Options

Last night, I downloaded my brother's copy of BitDefender Internet Security 2010 AFTER taking my laptop back to factory settings because of a virus that wouldn't let me do anything.

As it was configuring, McAfee was telling me trojans were infecting my computer and could not quarantine them, the file location was under BitDefender..

Since last night I've been trying to do a scan, but it always gives me a notice saying "Failed to initialize the Antivirus Scanner".

Can anyone help me fix this? I really don't want to have to redo my computer again.

Comments

• nikki605
    edited January 2011
    Options

A couple things - it would help if you told us the setup of your laptop - processor (CPU) speed, memory (RAM) installed, OS (XP, Vista, Win7, 32-bit, 64-bit), etc.

Do you have both McAfee and BitDefender installed at the same time? If not, then how did you uninstall McAfee (simple uninstall or did you use their clean removal tool)?

2011 is the latest BD product family. If you have a valid license key you can upgrade for free if your system meets the minimum requirements as explained here. Be sure to read the minimum requirements links in that pinned topic.

If you have both McAfee & BD installed at the same time (sounds like you do) that will absolutely not work! Two antivirus programs running at the same time will cause major problems. Only have ONE antivirus program with real time protection installed at a time. Also, only have ONE firewall program installed at a time!! Do you have any other antivirus/security/firewall programs installed?

Uninstall McAfee by downloading and running their uninstall tool from the appropriate link in this pinned topic. Reboot the PC.

Then follow these steps which will insure you are starting with a clean system.

1. Download and run the BD 2011 Uninstall Tool from HERE. Note that this tool will also remove all previous versions of BD.

2. Wait to be prompted and then reboot the PC.

3. Download CCleaner from HERE.

4. Install CCleaner using the default options (you can deselect any toolbars that are offered if you choose) then start it.

5. Perform both types of cleaning: Temporary files (first icon on the left hand - the blue paintbrush) and Windows Registry cleaning. You can decide when prompted, if you want the registry entries to be backed up before removing them. It might be a good idea to allow the backup just in case something goes wrong.

6. Close CCleaner

7. Reboot the PC again.

8. Download the full installation file of whichever BD product you are trying to install from the list of links found in THIS TOPIC.

9. Run the BD full installation file and follow the on-screen prompts.

Let us know if this works for you.

Regards,

• Thank you!

I did have McAfee on as well, but I didn't know how to remove it. It came on my laptop and didn't have an uninstall option in it's folder.

I followed all the steps now it's working perfectly and currently running a full system scan.

Once again, thank you =)

• Great, glad you've got it working. :)

Problem resolved, topic closed.

Feel free to open a new topic if you have any other issues.

Regards,

This discussion has been closed.