Pc Slow Down

Hi,

I'm having the instant PC slowdown issue , which has been introduced lately when I purchase BDIS 2011.

I have notified BD technical support and sent them captions and pictures of the issue. The last email was on 9 Jan 2011, and I didn't hear from them since then.

I'd like to advise Dany that I have been reading since I had this issue 3 weeks ago on the web and seen alot of opinions. All agree that there is a programming issue with vsser module.

I have a relatively strong PC that can handle high render games and it is fast, even when I had norton installed, and never had an issue.

But since this issue had come, my computer frozen and I couldn't run my business, so one of the technical support on chat (his name is Robert) he advised that I need to format the machine, and after continuous frustration, I did it. But the problem occured again.

Please look into the issue, rather than defending BD. It is a good software.

Regards.

Comments

• Hello,

I tried to find the ticket associated with your email address but I could only find the chat with Josh and the reply you should received from my colleague Costel Belciu (via email).

I have reopen the ticket with ID: 201101271007979 and sent you instructions on how to start investigating via email. If you did not receive the mail my colleague Costel sent you on 01/29/2011 20:44:32 please let me know and I will send it again.

• In my opinion Bitdefender owes people their money back and then some due to the amount of time we have all wasted dealing/trouble shooting their broken piece of crap program. I tell you I am so angry at this company for screwing us over by releasing a program that does not function properly. So many people have wrote in with issues with this version. I had issues with BDIS 2011 when it was first released which I had no option but to uninstall and reinstall BDIS 2010. After a few months I thought I'd give BDIS 2011 another go. Well this time it installed properly but still killed my browsing speed crashing/freezing my system.

And yes, "Please look into the issue, rather than defending BD."

• In my opinion Bitdefender owes people their money back and then some due to the amount of time we have all wasted dealing/trouble shooting their broken piece of crap program. I tell you I am so angry at this company for screwing us over by releasing a program that does not function properly. So many people have wrote in with issues with this version. I had issues with BDIS 2011 when it was first released which I had no option but to uninstall and reinstall BDIS 2010. After a few months I thought I'd give BDIS 2011 another go. Well this time it installed properly but still killed my browsing speed crashing/freezing my system.

And yes, "Please look into the issue, rather than defending BD."

Oslove

Offical from BD chat line Josh IS 2011 needs minimum of 1.5 gig of Ram to function, there recommedations go back to 2010 or buy more ram. Win 7 & XP don't need that amount of ram to run a OS so why needed for a AV program????

Farewell BD waste of money, & support no help at all.

They should do a refund!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cows might fly as well???

• Ok, here is the thing, I have done the instructions sent to me by email.

The frequency of the freezing and service hanging has come lesser, especially that many BD upgrades have been released to the softawre (I checked the log), however; the issue has not been solved completely.

It looks like the algorithm of BD2011 is not flexible like the previous releases, that's why it conflicts with any parallel software on the PC. That is something need to be looked at.

As I said earlier, I have used many packages in the market, and this the first time I'm facing this type of issue.

The last email, I got was I need to uninstall "windows live family safety". Guys this is a public software and BD should be able to handle it. It comes with the windows live typical installation.

I hope Dany looks at this and advise me at the earliest.

Regards.

• Oslove
    edited February 2011

On reflextion when initially usuing IS 2009, 2010 & of course 2011 many people had PC slow downs, etc etc etc.

Eventually just before the next version comes out they manage to improve this 2nd rate program.

I recently changed one of my PC's to ********** & so far worked 100%.. You even get 60 day free trial..worth a look.

Pity BD can not get there act together & get a support team that knows what they are doing & responds within a short period of time.

Or HAVE THEY SO MANY ERRORS to sort out they can not cope!!!!!!

Ok, here is the thing, I have done the instructions sent to me by email.

The frequency of the freezing and service hanging has come lesser, especially that many BD upgrades have been released to the softawre (I checked the log), however; the issue has not been solved completely.

It looks like the algorithm of BD2011 is not flexible like the previous releases, that's why it conflicts with any parallel software on the PC. That is something need to be looked at.

As I said earlier, I have used many packages in the market, and this the first time I'm facing this type of issue.

The last email, I got was I need to uninstall "windows live family safety". Guys this is a public software and BD should be able to handle it. It comes with the windows live typical installation.

I hope Dany looks at this and advise me at the earliest.

Regards.

• After countless hours of wasting my time dealing with BDIS 2011 I decided that I can't spend another minute with this broken software. Its too bad as I really liked BDIS 2008, 2009 but 2010 started with the problems then got better just to have BDIS 2011 sprung on us. I do like all the features BD has but think that might be part of the problems. Too many bells and whistles and not enough system resources to handle them. Or at least the programming isn't there to utilize the other wise excellent (ideas) behind the program.

Anyway as soon as I uninstalled BDIS 2011 my system was back to operating fast and normal. I am giving BullGuard as test run and have to say so far it is running nice and smooth on my system.

Not nearly as many features as BDIS but as long as I have good dependable security that doesn't interfere with my computing then I am fine with it.

Bitdefender I am sorry but you guys released a program onto your customers that should not have been released. You owe your customers an apology.

• Hello all,

We have recently released a new product update for the English version which should solve, among others, this slowdown issue. You can find here more details about it.

If you are using the English version of our product please try to update BitDefender and reboot the PC when the process is complete. In order to make sure that the update was applied right click on the BitDefender icon from the System tray, choose About and make sure the Build number is 14.0.28.351.

Please let me know if the slowdown issue is reoccurring after this.

Thank you!

• I ran the update and it did nothing for my system. I was hoping it would but it didn't. Seriously my entire system was bogged down from BDIS 2011. Email slow and totally UNRESPONSIVE, Firefox so slow it was unusable and crashed more times then not.

Anyway after much disappointment and a lot of wasted time my system is running nice and smooth with a different antivirus in place.

I will keep checking back to see if the comments and tone of the forums has changed. If so I will give BDIS another try.

But you techs I know its your job but try being honest with your customers. It really makes me mad when I read you have someone reformat their entire computer knowing your software is broken only to have them say it did nothing to fix the problem.

Shame on you.

• Oslove;

Isn't the old age excuse from so called TECH's format the HD & start all over again. This remedy means 'I don't know what's wrong so back to the drawing board' & hope it goes away.

I have tried the formatting excuse on a number of PC's & did not get rid of BD errors.

What qualifications do you need to be a BD TECH.. Uh! ya! I fink I can type ...format your HD & start agin or agan or Oh! I don't know..

The tone of the forum will never chage until they get their act together..After 3 years of using them they have not yet..

There is hope with other programs believe me..

Ask for a refund ..What's one of them the cry in wonder???

I ran the update and it did nothing for my system. I was hoping it would but it didn't. Seriously my entire system was bogged down from BDIS 2011. Email slow and totally UNRESPONSIVE, Firefox so slow it was unusable and crashed more times then not.

Anyway after much disappointment and a lot of wasted time my system is running nice and smooth with a different antivirus in place.

I will keep checking back to see if the comments and tone of the forums has changed. If so I will give BDIS another try.

But you techs I know its your job but try being honest with your customers. It really makes me mad when I read you have someone reformat their entire computer knowing your software is broken only to have them say it did nothing to fix the problem.

Shame on you.

• Unknown
    edited March 2011

Hello,

Oslove: next post like that will get you banned.

Corpus: having multiple security solutions installed on the same PC and/or upgrading from an older version of BitDefender to the 2011 one without doing the correct steps may cause a more or less major slowdown. Also if your PC does not meet the system requirements then you may also encounter a slowdown.

Last but not least be kindly informed that the situations when an OS needs to be reinstalled are really really rare and mostly due to an infected PC. Nobody here at BitDefender is advising the users to format their PC as easy you may think.

• Corpus..

So you get all up tight when truthful comments are made, I would of least expected you have the decency to be honesty & truthful to your clients.

This appears to be NOT the case.

If you feel that BANNING ME is a solution to BD's problems go ahead as it will then over come all of your disgruntled customers problems, & you will be out of a job as no one will need to contact BD.

I think your responce is not only immature & negative but shows the ATTITUDE to BD's clientle' when you can not find a solution.

By the way my last PC running BD still has the problems mentioned after all of your 'Fix's' also still waiting 7 days plus for a reply to a problem....This says it all about the mentality of Bd represenatives.

Should I be BANNED let other forum members note DO NOT comment in the negative or tell the truth about BD TECH's??? otherwise you'll get your WRIST SLAPPED.

Hello,

Oslove: next post like that will get you banned. I am sick and tired of your flaming.

Corpus: having multiple security solutions installed on the same PC and/or upgrading from an older version of BitDefender to the 2011 one without doing the correct steps may cause a more or less major slowdown. Also if your PC does not meet the system requirements then you may also encounter a slowdown.

Last but not least be kindly informed that the situations when an OS needs to be reinstalled are really really rare and mostly due to an infected PC. Nobody here at BitDefender is advising the users to format their PC as easy you may think.

• Does NO REPLY MEAN .......AHH!! HOPE they issue has gone away & NO ONE WILL NOTICE.

All requests should be followed up until a conclusion.. Which will take for ever & a day with BD.

Even with threats!!!!!

• What an attitude that BD Support has acquired or part of their training, to threaten 'BANNING' a member for telling the truth.

Come on BD Support act your age, all that Oslove has commented on has & still is being said by many in this forum.

The truth being that BD support is as pathetic as BD program.

I have extensively gone through various other AV forums to form an opinion of the products they sell. The conlusion I am finding is that BD generally is well below the par for the course, with members having to wait weeks for a reply (Which is often a run around reply).

If BD was to offer a refund to the dis-satisfied customers & to delay their product going on to the market place until it is virtually bug free, they would gain respect & build their clientle'

They would have to re-think their attitude as well or re-train the staff, better still get some that know the product they are attempting to assist others with.

I am disgusted at the way they seem to think they are little 'Tin Gods' with a keyboard in front of them.

I am in agreement with Oslove's & Tommy Townsend comments....Good on you!!

• The orginal person User01012011 who started this post is still waiting for a reply to overcome their problems, he last posted 12 DAYS ago.

What a super fast effiecent support tean BD have.

Another case of leave it long enough & it will go away, IT'S already in the TO HARD BASKET.

If one reads enough of these posts they have the same conclusion...

No apologizes (Of substance) nor offer of refunds!!!!

• I have been following this forum with interest because I have noticed a significant pc slowdown with BD AV2011. I previously used BD 2010 which seemed less of a problem. It seems that all AV software suffers over time with bloating, from trying to impress the mass market with the supposed extra protection each new product offers.

Kasperski 2008 was brilliant. Then the 2009 version offered 'extra security' and became slower, with constant large updates. So I switched to BitDefender 2010, which was better than the Kasperski 2009, but not as good as the 2008 version.

Last October I updated to BD AV 2011, by download, and had a problem with the security code not being recognised. That was resolved, but until recently, I was still told each day that my product was not licenced, even though it showed the correct licence details, and updates were being made. It was an irritation, but I accepted it, because I was not prepared to run inconvenient tests and send log files, for a problem which BitDefender should have been able to sort out without my assistance.

More significantly, after installing AV 2011, I noticed the slow internet access reported by many others, despite trying various browsers. Also problems connecting to the email server, with frequent timeouts, using Outlook Express or Mozilla Thunderbird.

I have also found that for several minutes after switching on my pc, there is no point in trying to do anything with it. It's a 3.2 Core2 duo with 3Gb fast memory, running Win XP SP3. The only active process in that time is vsserv.exe. Strangely, unlike some reports, it only shows between 3% and 30% cpu usage, and does not appear to be receiving large downloads, yet it still effectively takes over the pc, often disabling the mouse and keyboard for several minutes. Later, if I switch off and restart the pc, the whole process starts again.

During this startup time the hard disk is very active, despite having indexing and all scheduled disk maintenance tasks disabled, because I manually control defrags and virus scans.

Subsequently vsserv.exe runs constantly at about 3% CPU usage for no apparent reason, but this still seems to affect pc performance more than it should, apart from the increases every hour or so for updates. I have checked that I have the latest updates and have not noticed any improvement in performance. Though on reflection, I have not been told that my licence is invalid for the last few days.

In conclusion, I am disappointed with BD 2011. I wish BitDefender would supply a product giving basic effective virus protection, without all the resource draining overheads. And perhaps tested on more systems before release.

• This is a typical contridiction of BD support staff, one in this post Carmen Cernev states the fix issued should fix it..IT DIDN'T.

See post '1.5 Gig Of Memory' where they state that 1 gig is insufficient to run BD effectively. Yet Biggles2010 has 3 gig & has the same problems of PC SLOW down.

In my book that says that idea is out the window by far.

Come on BD learn the truth as many others are that it is a real disgrace to release programs like this before exstenive testing.

While the support staff ive any excuse but a positive one.

When Microsoft give a fix out it is given to many more clients than BD will ever see, with all different configurations on their PC's & they generally fix the problem (Not always but most of the time).

BD can not give a 'Blanket FIX' out but try unsuccessfully to fix each individual stuff up they have created in the first place.

Hang your heads in SHAME BD..

• I have been following this forum with interest because I have noticed a significant pc slowdown with BD AV2011. I previously used BD 2010 which seemed less of a problem. It seems that all AV software suffers over time with bloating, from trying to impress the mass market with the supposed extra protection each new product offers.

Kasperski 2008 was brilliant. Then the 2009 version offered 'extra security' and became slower, with constant large updates. So I switched to BitDefender 2010, which was better than the Kasperski 2009, but not as good as the 2008 version.

Last October I updated to BD AV 2011, by download, and had a problem with the security code not being recognised. That was resolved, but until recently, I was still told each day that my product was not licenced, even though it showed the correct licence details, and updates were being made. It was an irritation, but I accepted it, because I was not prepared to run inconvenient tests and send log files, for a problem which BitDefender should have been able to sort out without my assistance.

More significantly, after installing AV 2011, I noticed the slow internet access reported by many others, despite trying various browsers. Also problems connecting to the email server, with frequent timeouts, using Outlook Express or Mozilla Thunderbird.

I have also found that for several minutes after switching on my pc, there is no point in trying to do anything with it. It's a 3.2 Core2 duo with 3Gb fast memory, running Win XP SP3. The only active process in that time is vsserv.exe. Strangely, unlike some reports, it only shows between 3% and 30% cpu usage, and does not appear to be receiving large downloads, yet it still effectively takes over the pc, often disabling the mouse and keyboard for several minutes. Later, if I switch off and restart the pc, the whole process starts again.

During this startup time the hard disk is very active, despite having indexing and all scheduled disk maintenance tasks disabled, because I manually control defrags and virus scans.

Subsequently vsserv.exe runs constantly at about 3% CPU usage for no apparent reason, but this still seems to affect pc performance more than it should, apart from the increases every hour or so for updates. I have checked that I have the latest updates and have not noticed any improvement in performance. Though on reflection, I have not been told that my licence is invalid for the last few days.

In conclusion, I am disappointed with BD 2011. I wish BitDefender would supply a product giving basic effective virus protection, without all the resource draining overheads. And perhaps tested on more systems before release.

I had a similar problem with my Windows XP SP3 system. It turns out that VSSERV was grabbing so much virtual memory that it caused my Paging file to thrash the hard drive. Doubling the size of the Page file helped but only for a short period of time. Just before I booted BDIS off of my system I was back to no performance at all. There is nothing more frustrating than to click on an icon and have the computer just sit there and do nothing but put up the hour glass.

• I have experienced similar problems to those posting here regarding PC slowdowns. I was using BTS 2011 on a Windows 7 machine with quad core, 4 Mb ram. I had similar problems with BTS 2010 and was hoping that the problem would be solved with 2011. I have done IT work, build computers and troubleshoot hardware and software. I know what I am doing and have tried many of the recommended solutions (and others) to no avail. I have been checking the forums frequently to see if the issue has been solved and look forward to reinstalling Bitdefender when the issue has been solved (hopefully that will happen within my two year license period).

That being said, if posters here are ever banned for expressing their views about a serious problem effecting many users, I will burn my copy of Bitdefender, trash the product on every review site I can find and never look back, making sure that all within my circle who rely on me for software advice will also never use the product again! Banning a poster because the truth hurts is not a good business model!

• Hello,

Please allow me to point out the fact that no user has ever been banned without breaking the Forum Rules. In our case, here, OsLove and Drive were one and the same user as also mentioned by my colleague Cristi R. If you believe that anyone has been banned or even warned without reason please send me via PM the details and I will investigate it myself. All the users posting in this topic asking for assistance were contacted via email by me or another colleague.

Kind regards,

• Dan,

I have the same type of problems. Have been running older versions of AV for years on a XP Pro SP3 4G memory, 3G Pentium D but 2011 AV hangs the PC withing moments of startup. I get the desktop but are unable to move without a reboot, so I can't get task manager to see what's spinning.

I am not sure which build I am using, but I run the installer and it downloaded the GA build off the web.

I read some of the coments on this thread and felt for you. I too work as a tech support engineer, customers don't call when they are happy! This is a home machine though.

Vince.

• Hi Vince,

I have created a ticket on your behalf so we can start troubleshoot the issue you encounter. Ticket ID: 201103141027706. Please check your email and send me the requested info so I can provide you with a resolution in the shortest time possible.

Kind regards,

• fretless
    edited March 2011

i have BIS 2011,Windows 7 Ultimate x64,dual core CPU.6 GB of RAM,Malwarebytes and no otner.

my pc is fast, no sign of slowing down, no conflict.and i set all the functions to "aggressive",scan HTTP traffic,scan inside the archives,because i'm a perfectionist :) my feedback for BIS 2011 is positive.

• Hi,

I'm having the instant PC slowdown issue , which has been introduced lately when I purchase BDIS 2011.

I have notified BD technical support and sent them captions and pictures of the issue. The last email was on 9 Jan 2011, and I didn't hear from them since then.

I'd like to advise Dany that I have been reading since I had this issue 3 weeks ago on the web and seen alot of opinions. All agree that there is a programming issue with vsser module.

I have a relatively strong PC that can handle high render games and it is fast, even when I had norton installed, and never had an issue.

But since this issue had come, my computer frozen and I couldn't run my business, so one of the technical support on chat (his name is Robert) he advised that I need to format the machine, and after continuous frustration, I did it. But the problem occured again.

Please look into the issue, rather than defending BD. It is a good software.

Regards.

I too am suffering slow down, Win7x64, 6Gb Ram and Quad Core CPU. A Deep Scan takes in excess of 12 hours! BD 2010-IS was about 1.5hrs.

I am a reseller, so hope there is a fix, else I think I will have to switch products as I also have noticed slowness on client PCs..

Build is 2011-IS, 14.0.28.351 and all prior builds were slow too.. getting frustrating now though and will have to downgrade myself and clinets back to 2010 if no fix soon!

Malster

• I too am suffering slow down, Win7x64, 6Gb Ram and Quad Core CPU. A Deep Scan takes in excess of 12 hours! BD 2010-IS was about 1.5hrs.

I am a reseller, so hope there is a fix, else I think I will have to switch products as I also have noticed slowness on client PCs..

Build is 2011-IS, 14.0.28.351 and all prior builds were slow too.. getting frustrating now though and will have to downgrade myself and clinets back to 2010 if no fix soon!

Malster

basically facing the same issue's i cant believe its been a whole month and theres still no fix...since i'm asking for assistance now hopefully it can be resolved or i'm probably just going to uninstall it and find something else...its so stressful trying to work and something thats suppose to be helping your PC perform better is messing it up.

• it's unbelievable...my pc,as my previous post,is faster than lights with BIS 2011

• Hello,

Malster: be kindly informed that most of the times when a customer is complaining about a PC slowdown si due to either:

- multiple security solutions installed on the same PC;

- residues of previous installations of BitDefender or other security solution;

- barely meeting the minimum system requirements for the BitDefender 2011 version;

What type of slowdown do you encounter ? Surfing the web or PC slowdown ? Follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file along with a detailed description of the issue you encounter and the link to this topic.

Sadisztik: sent you an answer in regards to the ticket ID: 201103171014244. Please send me the requested info.

Regards,

• jimbo76-2011
    edited April 2011

I can honestly say that I have not noticed Bitdefender slow down my computer, within windows or internet .... I have tested internet speed with Bitdefender and without and notice no difference.

I am running quad core, 4gb ram & windows 7 64 bit, there are other factors then just Bitdefender here.

What does bug me though is that the tools within the Total Security package do not always work, Bitdefender is a good product when it works and admit I have had more issues with 2011 compared to 2010.

Lets hope the issues are resolved and it can be a positive result.

• My system

Windows XP Pro

EVGA 680i SLI 122-CK-NF68-A1,

Intel C2D E6850 @ 3 gigs stock clock, EVGA 8800GTX,

OCZ Reaper PC2 8500, Ultra X3 1000W fully modular PSU,

1 Primary Raptor X 150 gig + 2 150 gig Raptors in RAID 0,

Swiftech H20-220 Ultra with a Stealth GPU water block,

Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP-HC 24" monitor,

Lian Li V2000 Plus Case slightly modded,

Steelseries Akari Laser Gaming Mouse, Razor Tarantula keyboard,

AuzenTech Prelude Sound Card,

Pioneer VSX-1016TXV receiver with Bose 301's,

AKG K240 Studio Head Phones, Blue Snowflake USB Microphone.

My system is a bit dated but not dated enough to be causing the slow down that I experienced.

Granted I could stand for a format but keep in mind that I have uninstalled BD with your uninstall tool each and every time. I also "clean sweep" uninstall so to leave no traces of any old residual.

Dany, I do appreciate what you do for people here on this site. It must be frustrating not being able to solve all of our issue with BDIS...

I guess all what is left for me to do is format and reinstall.. That isn't happening anytime soon. Maybe in a few months as I am running a different IS program that doesn't affect my system at all. In fact I have tested 4 different IS programs that haven't killed my system like BDIS 2011 does. Even BDIS 2010 runs much much smoother on both my PC's then BDIS 2011 did... With that said Yes this issue isn't just on my main PC which I described above but another computer that my wife uses which is very similar to this PC.. BDIS 2011 killed both my computers. I have BDIS 2010 running on my wife's computer and Avast! running on my computer.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hi :)

As the new Bitdefender 2013 product suite was released, we would like to inform you that you benefit from a FREE upgrade to the latest version.

Apart from the fact that the 2013 suite brings lots of new features and improvements, it will most likely solve any issues that you may have encountered with your previous Bitdefender product.

Please check out this announcement:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=241&id=42

Thank you.