Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Anti-phishing Toolbar

Options
Dogman
edited January 2011 in Antivirus

Hello Technical Support and Readers:

I recently upgraded from BitDefender Anti-Virus 2010 to 2011 and I noticed that, again, BitDefender installed an Anti-Phishing toolbar that was: A. Installed without my explicit permission, B. Cannot be easily removed.

Considering the problems that people have with this as far as incompatabilities with newer versions of Firefox (also here), and the toolbar not being uninstalled with BitDefender (also here) (and here). One should also consider that any software that does something that the user might not necessarily want it to do to your system (additionally making it difficult to undo these changes) is the same way that malware operates.

I would think that a company that deals with security software would be more sensitive to this kind of thing and not covertly install add-ons that may be unwanted by users.

Please BitDefender team, stop doing this! Ask the user if they want the Anti-Phishing toolbar (and any other "add-ons" that the BitDefender team thinks that their users "need"), and make it easy to uninstall (just like any other well-behaved Firefox add-on). This will go a long way in keeping your customers happy and loyal.

I welcome any comments about this.

Comments

• Mihaela M.
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hi Dogman,

We apologize for any negative experience you have encountered with our products or our support. Your feedback is appreciated, and will be directed to the appropriate team for review, to enable us to improve our support and services.

Can you provide us with more details about the issue you have with our Aniphishing toolbar, please ? Also, we need you to mention what version of Mozilla Firefox are you using.

Note: If you do not want to use our Antiphishing toolbar in your Mozilla Firefox, you can disable it from BitDefender -> Expert View -> Antivirus - Shield-> Antiphishing and Search Advisor.

Thank you!

• Strangely, mine isn't working at all, using Firefox 3.6.13 and it says the toolbar isn't compatible. But I see here a post from October saying that they released an update to make sure it was compatible with Firefox 3.X. Is there a patch that I need to run to make it work?

• Hi,

Dogman you should read the forum and then post as you may confuse some of our users. You posted topic links since last year pointing the issue we HAD with the Antiphishing toolbar with each Firefox update. As my colleague Mihaela already explained, you can disable the Antiphishing toolbar on your own from either the browser or from within BitDefender Security Center.

Truly I can't understand you: you complain that the toolbar is not working but you also do not wish to use it ... can you please decide ?

Please post a screenshot of the compatibility message between the Firefox and BitDefender Antiphishing you receive along with the

I believe that the toolbar is not working because you did not correctly upgrade from 2010 to 2011

Regards,