Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bit Defender Blocking Windows 7 Backup Tool

Options

I'm using Bit Defender Antivirus Pro 2011. Installed it a few days ago, and since that time the Windows backup tool doesn't work, always reports that it can't perform the backup because there is no space in the disk (error code: 0x81000019). The disk has plenty of free space.

Followed an instruction in the forum that consisted in putting the Windows Backup executable in the exclusion list of the BD, but still getting the same error. Any help please?

Software: Bit Defender Antivirus Pro 2011 (64bits) version 14.0.23.312

Comments

• I'm using Bit Defender Antivirus Pro 2011. Installed it a few days ago, and since that time the Windows backup tool doesn't work, always reports that it can't perform the backup because there is no space in the disk (error code: 0x81000019). The disk has plenty of free space.

Followed an instruction in the forum that consisted in putting the Windows Backup executable in the exclusion list of the BD, but still getting the same error. Any help please?

Software: Bit Defender Antivirus Pro 2011 (64bits) version 14.0.23.312

Hello, anyone from Technical support in here? :blink:

• Same for me, on Windows 7 Home 64 bits.

Still using the trial version, think I'll go back to Avira. :mellow:

• Hello JoaPT,

Please try to disable AVC from Antivirus -> Advanced Settings button having BitDefender in Expert View (can be changed from the Options button) and let me know if the issue persist. Also post a screenshot of the error you receive and mention exactly what steps you take when trying to backup Windows.

Regards,

• Hello JoaPT,

Please try to disable AVC from Antivirus -> Advanced Settings button having BitDefender in Expert View (can be changed from the Options button) and let me know if the issue persist. Also post a screenshot of the error you receive and mention exactly what steps you take when trying to backup Windows.

Regards,

Disabled AVC and even the realtime shield. Still error. Changed the options of windows backup copy by deselecting the box "include shadow copy of C: and reserved system" and the backup was finished. What could be the problem?

C: 108GB of used space;

I: 218GB of free space (this is where my backups are stored);

Reserved partition: 38Mb of used space.

Now it performs even if AVC is running.

• Disabled AVC and even the realtime shield. Still error. Changed the options of windows backup copy by deselecting the box "include shadow copy of C: and reserved system" and the backup was finished. What could be the problem?

C: 108GB of used space;

I: 218GB of free space (this is where my backups are stored);

Reserved partition: 38Mb of used space.

Now it performs even if AVC is running.

Had same issue...had to go to SevenForums for solution...

Under Antivirus/Exclusions tab...enter the following as an "Exclusion" : c:\windows\system32\sdclt.exe

sample jpg: post-31073-1297880140_thumb.jpg

This should do it ?!

• Had same issue...had to go to SevenForums for solution...

Under Antivirus/Exclusions tab...enter the following as an "Exclusion" : c:\windows\system32\sdclt.exe

sample jpg: post-31073-1297880140_thumb.jpg

This should do it ?!

Thank you very much, but it didn't work :(

• JoaoPT
    edited February 2011
    Options

Solved my problem. Bit Defender was the root of the problem, but it wasn't blocking the backup. It was messing the free space on the reserved drive.

Managed to solve the problem by following:

I solved the very same problem by installing a partition manager (Easeus's Free one) and enlarging the standard 100 MB hidden boot partition to 300 MB (any value under 500 MB will do). That was accomplished by shrinking the C partition with 200 MB, moving it up over the unallocated space created on the right (in a linear representation of partitions starting with the hidden one to the left). Then the unalocated space "moved" to the left so I could expand the hidden boot partition.

It appears that Shadow Copy cannot work properly if available space on any drive is less than 40%.

Which was posted by Cosmin Tataru at the Microsoft forums here.

Thanks to him, hope this helps others with the same problem.

• trinaz
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Thank you very much, but it didn't work :(

Glad you got the issue fixed...the "exclusions" option works fine for me on both a W7 Pro 64bit and W7 Pro 32bit machines...if I don't include the Windows backup exe sdclt.exe in the "exclusions"auto list as recommended in SevenForums...neither machine will complete it's weekly scheduled auto backup.

Both machines will run a complete manual backup however without the backup exe file in the "exclusions" section of BD AV screen...but will not complete the scheduled auto backup on Sunday nights without the sdclt.exe file in the "exclusions" option ?

Hope this helps someone...

• Glad you got the issue fixed...the "exclusions" option works fine for me on both a W7 Pro 64bit and W7 Pro 32bit machines...if I don't include the Windows backup exe sdclt.exe in the "exclusions"auto list as recommended in SevenForums...neither machine will complete it's weekly scheduled auto backup.

Both machines will run a complete manual backup however without the backup exe file in the "exclusions" section of BD AV screen...but will not complete the scheduled auto backup on Sunday nights without the sdclt.exe file in the "exclusions" option ?

Hope this helps someone...

I've it scheduled, so I'll leave that rule active. Thanks again :)

• You can have the rule for sdclt.exe added regardless as it can not harm your PC nor its security. There are known issues with the System restore / backup and different security solutions, as the MS engineers posted on their forums.

With the info you gave me I will conduct several tests and work on a fix that will resolve the issue in question. I will keep you posted as soon as I will have the results.

Kind regards,

• Charyb
    Charyb ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options

I have been monitoring this thread and three months have passed. Any solution yet? I performed what is suggested in post #8 and it will now allow a system image to be created. Other security products have not caused this problem on my computer. I only had 38% free and now have 79% free. I would really like to know if you guys and gals are making any progress on this. My girlfriend's computer has the same problem (Win 7 64bit).

I uninstalled BitDefender months ago due to this problem and recently reinstalled hoping that it would have been fixed by now. I see that the problem is still there.

Thanks

Windows 7 64bit SP1

post-63102-1306608176_thumb.png

• Unknown
    Options

Hello,

With the new 2011 version of BitDefender, extra security features were added to the BitDefender product and the way it protects its own files. Unfortunately, this update creates a conflict with the System Restore feature. The issue that you have reported has been acknowledged by our team and is currently being worked on for a fix.

As a workaround you will need to restart the computer in Safe Mode and then you will be able to use the System Restore feature. Please follow the Microsoft article bellow which will detail the entire procedure:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

We are very sorry for any inconvenience that we may have created and we rest at your disposal for further information.

Thank you for your support and patience.

Best regards,