Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bsod Involving Bdselfpr.sys

Options

Hi,

I am using BitDefender Antivirus Pro 2011 on Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. For the last one month, I have been suffering from random crashes, with BSOD. The attached 12 Minidump files all indicate bdselfpr.sys and ntkrnlpa.exe.

Even though the crashes seem random at best and the dump files implicate bdselfpr, 75% of the times, they occurred while I was on Skype, making a phone call. The rest happened simply without any observable pattern. I have tried all the methods I could think of and failed to fix it. Since all the instants of crashes involve bdselfpr, perhaps someone here can help me solve the problem or at least referring me to where I can find the solution.

Thank you very much in advance,

Reynard.

Comments

• Hello Reynard,

Please go to the location where you installed BitDefender and locate the file "bdselfpr.sys". Check its version and post it here.

Thank you.

• Hello Reynard,

Please go to the location where you installed BitDefender and locate the file "bdselfpr.sys". Check its version and post it here.

Thank you.

Hi Dan, the file was created/modified at Jan 6, 2011, 5:51PM. Is this what you need?

• You will find the file version by navigating to the file in Windows Explorer, right-clicking on the file and then selecting Properties, as seen in this screen shot:

post-35640-1297528354_thumb.jpg

The version number for that file is 1.14.1.39 on my WinXP SP3 32-bit desktop PC.

Regards,

• Hi,

Yes, my version is 1.14.1.39

My OS is Win 7 32-bit, on Lenovo Thinkpad SL500

Regards,

You will find the file version by navigating to the file in Windows Explorer, right-clicking on the file and then selecting Properties, as seen in this screen shot:

post-35640-1297528354_thumb.jpg

The version number for that file is 1.14.1.39 on my WinXP SP3 32-bit desktop PC.

Regards,

• I have the exact same issue and the BDOD fault for bdselfpr.sys occured as a SKYPE call came in. It does not happen every time I get a call but it blue screen's about twice daily.

The version number for that file is 1.14.1.39 on my Windows 7 Professional 32-bit desktop PC. This is a new install with no other issues.

Could it be that BD and Skype are not playing well together?

This is a business PC and I need Skype and I also need to protect my PC with BitDefender. Please reply with a solution. Thank you!

• Hi Dan & Nikki,

I haven't heard from you in this thread or from BitDefender Customer Care [Ticket ID:201102081105036] for several days. Several more crashes have occurred recently. The BSOD with Skype is getting more and more annoying. May I know the status of the Ticket or any solution on the way?

Reynard.

• Unknown
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hello,

Marker33:

Reynald:

First and foremost please make sure you have BitDefender updated to the latest build. Right click on the icon in the system tray and select 'Update Now'. Wait for the process to complete then restart the PC. After restart right click again on the BitDefender icon and select 'About'. Check to see if you have the build: 14.0.28.351. If you do not have this build displayed update BitDefender again.

Reynald: I have taken ownership of the ticket 201102081105036. I am currently analyzing the dump files you provided us with and, as soon as the analysis will be complete you will have my answer via email. Please check your inbox later today.

Please let me know if the issue still occur after you update to the latest build as we have already released a fix for the issue you encounter and I need a positive or negative feedback from you.

Best regards,

• Hi DannyDan,

Thank you very much for the update. My version now is 14.0.28.351. As the crashes appear randomly, I think it will take a while for me to know whether the problem is completely fixed. I will observe and let you know after a few days. Thank you very much once again for your response.

Best regards,

Reynard.

• Hi DannyDan,

I'm afraid that the problem still persists. Another BSOD occurred today. It's still somehow mysteriously related to Skype. So far my observations have been: the crashes mostly occurred when somebody calls me over Skype. Sometimes they occurred when I quit Skype (not only closing the Skype window, but closing the Skype program.) Please refer to THIS LINK for the minidumps. There are 22 minidumps in the zipped file: 12 old ones, and 10 new ones since my ticket report (including the latest one which occurred today after your update.)

Could you please look into this and help me with it, again :) Thank you very much and have a nice weekend.

Reynard.

• Hello Reynald,

Reply sent to the ticket ID: 201102081105036.

Looking forward to your answer!

• Hello Reynald,

Reply sent to the ticket ID: 201102081105036.

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for the delay. I've just sent you the autorun captured file and the zipped dump of several recent crashes as well.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Reynard.

• Unknown
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hello,

I have finished the analysis of the logs you provided me with. I do believe that the issue you encounter is caused by:

TPHDEXLGSVC    ThinkVantage Active Protection System - HDD Logger Module    Lenovo.    c:\windows\system32\tphdexlg.exe

Try first to add the following folder to exclusions in Antivirus -> Exclusions:

C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\TpShocks\

Restart the PC then test to see if the issue still occur. Also locate the following files (if present), pack them into an archive then send it to me via email:

C:\Windows\system32\tpshocks.exe

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\apsx86.sys

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\apshm86.sys

(or the associated x64 file - apsx64.sys ; apshm64.sys).

Note: make sure you password protect the archive you create as explained below:

1. Go to: http://www.win-rar.com/downloads//rar/wrar393.exe

2. Save the file on your computer.

3. Run it and install WinRAR on your computer ( a default installation requires not additional settings upon installation - in other words you can simply click on Next until you finish the setup ).

4. Locate again the infected/requested sample files

5. When you find the files right click on the file and choose "Add to archive..." from the menu.

6. A new window will be displayed with the menu of WinRAR.

7. You will see the name of the archive ( normally the name is the same as the file/folder name only with the extension .ZIP or .RAR ).

8. Choose RAR as archive format

9. Go to Advanced tab and click on "Set Password..."

10. Type the password "infected" twice then click on OK

11. Click again on OK to create the archive.

12. Repeat the steps for each file.

I have also sent you these steps via email in response to the ticket you have open with me.

• Hi Dan,

The crashes did not occur again until Saturday. It happened when a skype call was made to me. I have attached the new dump file in the email for your preference. It has only been one crash so far. So I guess you have largely identified most of the causes of the crashes. Probably just one more exclusion and the whole thing is solved? :)

Thanks a lot for all your help,

Reynard.

• Hello,

All the reported crashes identified will be resolved with the release of the new Self Protect driver file via the automatic update module later this month.

Since your report is the only one I had (so far at least) involving BitDefender and Skype, please try to isolate the issue and confirm if the crash only happens when you initiate / receive a call on Skype or you can reproduce it in other ways.

Until you do that I will also have the results of the dump analysis and send you the instructions via email.

Kind regards,