Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Trouble With Bitdefender Total Security 2011

Let me start by saying that i have been using Bitdefender for a couple of years now and have not had any issues. But Bitdefender 2011 has really slowed the performance of my computer. I am running it on a Windows XP operating system. I am also having problems with getting it to scan on startup even though I have set it to do this. I have also unchecked the box which says run task when system is idle for 30 minutes. I would really appreciate any help that you could give me.

Thanks & God Bless

Comments

• Hi ibeelong2God,

The first cause of the slow down you have may be due to the fact your system is not compatible with our 2011 version. Therefore please make sure that your computer has the minimum system requirements:

Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP SP3 (SP2 for x64), Vista (SP1), Microsoft Windows 7

Available free hard disk space: 1 GB free space

CPU: 800MHz processor

Memory (RAM):

512 MB (Microsoft Windows XP)

1 GB (Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows 7)

Second, please make sure that in order to protect your PC you are using only BitDefender. Usually when you use more than one security solutions on the same computer it may become unstable. This happens because all security solutions try to scan a file whenever one is accessed but they cannot do it at the same time, so this causes either slowdowns or crashes.

All the security solutions perform their job based on a similar architecture; thus having two or more security solutions installed may lead to slowdowns or even serious system crashes (each security solution will scan each other before scanning the actual files that need protection). We strongly recommend keeping only one security solution installed on your computer.

Another explanation would be regarding the BitDefender settings. Therefore we need to pinpoint the cause. To do that we will take each BitDefender module and disable it, one by one, to see if we find the one causing this issue:

1. Open BitDefender in Expert View.

2. Go to the Antivirus tab and disable the Real Time Protection. Check if the issue still occurs.

3. Click on Advanced Settings and disable the AVC and IDS modules. Check if the issue still occurs.

4. Go to the Vulnerability tab and disable it.

5. Go to the Firewall tab and disable it.

6. Go to the Antispam tab and disable it.

If disabling any of these modules solved the issue please tell us which of them was it.

Thank you!

• stefandima
    edited July 2011

I have the exact problem like ibeelong2God. I have Win XP SP3 (32bit). I did try the steps described by Mihaela M., and i see that if i disable "Real Time Protection", the system performace are restored. After 2 days with "Real Time Protection" diabled, i reactivate "Real Time Protection" and the performance of the system are down again.

When i activate "Real Time Protection", the system is almost unitilisable.

System Description:

Microsoft Windows XP Profesional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU

E6750 @ 2.66 GHz

2.67 Ghz, 1.98 GB of RAM

plenty of hdd space. (10 GB on system partition, 75Gb on work partition).

Suplimentary question:

If the "Real Time Protection" is disabled, i presume that my computer is totaly unprotected. I have to manualy check all files before use ?

• Hello,

In what language you have BitDefender installed ? English or Romanian ? If you disable Real Time Protection then the scanning of the accessed files is disabled however, if you have AVC enabled (under Antivirus >> Advanced Settings) then your PC still gets protection from any malicious behavior of certain programs such as rootkits, ad-aware etc.

Furthermore, the protection when surfing is not disabled when you turn off the real time protection -> the Antiphishing module.

Follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file along with a detailed description of the issue you encounter and the link to this topic.

Looking forward to your answer!

• stefandima
    edited July 2011

Hello.

BitDefender is installed in Romanian language, but only because was autodetected. If english version will solve my problems, i can manage that (i'm not writing very well in english, but i can read, and use a english version of a program.).

I did folow the steps explained in previous post, and send to you a PM with the generated file.

From my knowledge, i have no other antivirus program installed on my computer. Only if Windows has one integrated, and i didnt know. If know something about some antivirus solution integrated in Windows system, please tell me how to verify and disable. I was very satisfyed by old versions of BitDefender, and really want to stay to this solutions.

Thanks in advance.

Have a niced day.

• Hi,

Please go to this page:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

and download the autoruns file.

B) Extract the contents of the downloaded file and run the 'autoruns.exe' file;

c) Wait for the list to be filled with all the processes and then make sure that you have the Everything tab selected in the upper part;

d) Click on the Disk icon right under File and chose any location folder on your computer;

e) Save the file with a specific name (your name, computer name, a random name, which one you want) and then just attach it to the reply email and send it to us.

We will analyze the information you sent and then reply with a possible solution.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

• Thanks for the logs. I will need you to do a last test, if that's OK with you. Follow the steps below and let me know if the issue persist.

1. Restart your PC in Windows Safe Mode;

2. Set BitDefender not to perform any product updates as explained below;

3. Rename the file: framework.dll located in the installation folder of BitDefender to framework.old;

Default location:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011

4. Restart the PC in normal mode and test to see if the issue still occurs;

5. Last but not least please send me the file bdsrv.xml from:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\settings

[how to disable Product Updates for BitDefender 2011]

1. Locate the file:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\update_components.xml

2. Open the file with Notepad (Notepad++) and modify the following line:

<Product enabled="1" name="00010004000500010001000600050001" type="0" id="-1">

Basically you will modify the "1" into "0" in the line above.

3. Save the file (overwrite the original XML file);

4. Restart the PC in normal mode.

Regards,

• I did the steps explained above, and, after restart computer, the bit defender doesn't start anymore. I'm receving 2 error messages and that's all.

I will send a PM with the bdsrv.xml file, but i doubt that the errors are from there.

• I gues that error message doesn't tell nothing. But this is a print screen with the message that apears when i start the computer:

post-67209-1311058941_thumb.jpg

• Hello Stefan,

I have created a ticket on your behalf with ID: 201107201030617. Please check your email associated with your Forum account for further instructions.

Please note that the issue in question has been acknowledged by our team and we are working towards a resolution. Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience.

Kind regards,

• I did receive inded the email from BitDefender Customer Care about the opened tiket on 20.07.2011.

I ansewer to the email on 21.07.2011, with all the data requested.

After 8 days, still no answer.

Now, bitdefender icon from system tray is grey. Every moning, when i start the computer, i receive 3, 4, sometimes 5, error messages about the bitdefender errors.

I suppose i may uninstall the bitdefender, and "kiss godbay" the money for the license. It was the first Romanian software that i buy. Probably the last.

• Hello Stefan,

I am sorry for the delay in my answer, been out of the office for the past week. I would like to connect remotely to your PC and troubleshoot the issue you encounter together. If that's OK with you, please reply to my PM.

Cheers!