Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Blue Screen Oopening Encrypted Container File

Options

I have an application issue that I have traced to BitDefender AntiVirus Pro 2011 32-bit (engine version 7.36362).

I have Windows-7 Professional Edition (32-bit) and 3-GB RAM; dual 80-GB HDD (with 20-GB free on each HDD).

I have an application by Jetico - BestCrypt. (www.jetico.com) It allows users to create, open, & update encrypted file containers.

When I go to open one of the container files, my PC gives a blue-screen (no minidump file) and rapidly reboots.

I have tried several setting with no success. I tried disabling real-time protection and when I go to open a container file, the PC still gives a blue-screen (no minidump file) and rapidly reboots. I tried enabling Gaming Mode and when I go to open a container file, the PC still gives a blue-screen (no minidump file) and rapidly reboots. I tried disabling device scanning and when I go to open a container file, the PC still gives a blue-screen (no minidump file) and rapidly reboots. Matter of fact, the last reboot from this error, Windows-7 went into an automatic repair for 6-hours.

If I uninstall BitDefender AntiVirus Pro and use another antivirus product on this PC, I can open the container files on USB HDD without error.

Also, I also have a laptop with BitDefender 64-bit AntiVirus Pro. On that laptop, I can open the container files on USB HDD without error.

And if I install BitDefender AntiVirus Pro 2010 (32-bit) on this PC, I can open the container files on USB HDD without error. I copied one file to my local C-drive and opening it also causes a Windows-7 blue-screen.

The problem is definitely a clash between BitDefender AntiVirus Pro 2011 and Jetico's Bestcrypt.

I have been told by Jetico Support that they have reports from other BitDefender users about the same problem. So, I am not alone. However, I was told there is no resolution. Although I want to use BitDefender AntiVirus Pro. 2011, I have 500-GB of about 15 container files of various sizes on USB external HDD; that makes moving to another file encryption solution an option I really do not want to consider.

Are there options I can set in BitDefender AntiVirus Pro 2011 to not cause the blue-screen when opening a an encrypted container file on a USB HDD?

Please reply.

Thank you.

Comments

• Unknown
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hello,

First of all I would like the say Thank you for your report. Please try to disable the AVC module within BitDefender -> Antivirus -> Shield -> Advanced Settings and let me know if the issue still persist.

Is THIS the software you have issues with ?

I have created a ticket with ID: 201102241009739. Please check your email and send me the requested log files so I can start the analysis and resolve the compatibility issue between BitDefender and BCWipe.

Looking forward to your answer!

P.S. I can make already a first impression based on the details you provided me with (a detailed nice topic btw :) ). I believe that the compatibility issue is caused by the bdselfpr.sys driver. I will know more as soon as you will provide me with the requested log files.

• Hello,

First of all I would like the say Thank you for your report. Please try to disable the AVC module within BitDefender -> Antivirus -> Shield -> Advanced Settings and let me know if the issue still persist.

Is THIS the software you have issues with ?

I have created a ticket with ID: 201102241009739. Please check your email and send me the requested log files so I can start the analysis and resolve the compatibility issue between BitDefender and BCWipe.

P.S. I can make already a first impression based on the details you provided me with (a detailed nice topic btw :) ). I believe that the compatibility issue is caused by the bdselfpr.sys driver. I will know more as soon as you will provide me with the requested log files.

I did try disabling the AVC module as you mentioned; PC did blue-screen on opening an encrypted container file.

I received email from the technical support staff. I ran the support tool (3+ hours). And I emailed the zip file to Support.

bcwipe4.exe is not the Jetico application - its BCResident.exe and its interaction with BitDefender AntiVirus Pro 2011.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

• Unknown
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your quick and detailed answer. There is a single thing you've missed: the exact version and, if possible, a download link for the software you have issues with so I can start the tests.

I have found the following software. Please confirm that is the s/w in question:

- BestCrypt Container Encryption v.8.20.9 - 13.4 MB | 32/64 bit | Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2008 Server, 2003 Server, 2000, NT

The setup file name is: bcrypt8.exe.

I will finish the tests on the above file this weekend and pass the results to the dev team for a fix to be release, post the info in here and send you an email in response to the ticket you have open with us: ID 201102241009739.

Regards,

• Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your quick and detailed answer. There is a single thing you've missed: the exact version and, if possible, a download link for the software you have issues with so I can start the tests.

I have found the following software. Please confirm that is the s/w in question:

- BestCrypt Container Encryption v.8.20.9 - 13.4 MB | 32/64 bit | Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2008 Server, 2003 Server, 2000, NT

The setup file name is: bcrypt8.exe.

I will finish the tests on the above file this weekend and pass the results to the dev team for a fix to be release, post the info in here and send you an email in response to the ticket you have open with us: ID 201102241009739.

Regards,

I replied to your email answering your questions.

YES - that is the version of BESTCRYPT. It installs a program BCRESIDENT.EXE.

Thank you.

• Unknown
    edited March 2011
    Options

I have tested the application for about 2 weeks now along with BitDefender and I couldn't reproduce the issue. I used exactly the same things as you:

- Windows 7 32-bits;

- all my modules are enabled including AVC;

I have created the encrypted drive with the following settings:

- Container name: Container 1.jbc

- Description: none

- Algorithm: AES

- Key Generator: KG-Ghost

- Size: 100 MB / 250MB / 500 MB

I am able to open / close / read all the files in the container without any errors nor BSOD.

I have sent you further instructions via email, in response to your ticket ID: 201102241009739.

• I have tested the application for about 2 weeks now along with BitDefender and I couldn't reproduce the issue. I used exactly the same things as you:

- Windows 7 32-bits;

- all my modules are enabled including AVC;

I have created the encrypted drive with the following settings:

- Container name: Container 1.jbc

- Description: none

- Algorithm: AES

- Key Generator: KG-Ghost

- Size: 100 MB / 250MB / 500 MB

I am able to open / close / read all the files in the container without any errors nor BSOD.

I have sent you further instructions via email, in response to your ticket ID: 201102241009739.

Thank you for your reply. It is appreciated.

It is surprising to me that you cannot duplicate this? WOW! I can duplicate it on my PC.

And according to Jetico Support, I am not the "only" Jetico client having this issue.

As for settings:

Algorithm: AES

Encryption Mode: CBC

Key-Generator: SHA-256

Key Block Size: 1.3KB

Key Block Status: Header is not encrypted

I have also used this combination:

Algorithm: AES

Encryption Mode: CBC

Key-Generator: KG-Ghost

Key Block Size: 4KB

Key Block Status: Header is not encrypted

Both set of settings trigger the BSOD on my PC.

I hope this helps.

(I replied to you by email, too.)

But what does BitDefender recommend? My taking time & moving the 500-GB of data to new encryption containers?

• Unknown
    edited March 2011
    Options

Considering the results of the tests we have two choices:

- either we run a remote session to gather the logs I need from your PC - as I can't reproduce the issue (tested the software on 4 PCs / different BD products) - at a time and date when you will be available

- either you use the FileVault feature within BitDefender to lock the files you wish to keep/store on your PC as private info and in this case, you don't need the encryption anymore.

However, I would rather go for the first option as that will help me get the info I need to resolve the compatibility issue for any future users that may use the same encryption software.

I have sent you the info via email in response to the ticket ID: 201102241009739.

Looking forward to your decision!

Regards,

• Considering the results of the tests we have two choices:

- either we run a remote session to gather the logs I need from your PC - as I can't reproduce the issue (tested the software on 4 PCs / different BD products) - at a time and date when you will be available

- either you use the FileVault feature within BitDefender to lock the files you wish to keep/store on your PC as private info and in this case, you don't need the encryption anymore.

However, I would rather go for the first option as that will help me get the info I need to resolve the compatibility issue for any future users that may use the same encryption software.

I have sent you the info via email in response to the ticket ID: 201102241009739.

Looking forward to your decision!

Regards,

Thank you.

I responded to the email.

I am able to duplicate this at-will. There is a problem. Did you try having the encrypted container file on a USB 2.0 external drive?

If you do a remote session, the BSOD will disconnect the remote person, and every BSOD takes ~4-hours to get this PC self-repaired and back functioning. (Windows-7 self-repair has a [Cancel] option but the button is not enabled, leaving [Continue] as the only choice; [Continue] has taken 4-to-6 hours to complete.) I want you to know I am open to this option BUT I cannot take 1/2-day to do this right now. I need my PC for a task I am waist deep in.

Once again, thank you.

• Hi,

Did you try having the encrypted container file on a USB 2.0 external drive?

- No, on the hard drive;

What is the size of the container you created ?

I will conduct some tests later today and send you the results via email.

I do believe that with the new info you provided me I will be able to reproduce the issue and find a resolution.

Regards,

• Hi,

- No, on the hard drive;

What is the size of the container you created ?

I will conduct some tests later today and send you the results via email.

I do believe that with the new info you provided me I will be able to reproduce the issue and find a resolution.

Regards,

I created container files with a variety of different sizes ranging from 7.5-GB up to 50-GB on a USB drive. None can be opened on the PC (32-bit Windows) w/o BSOD.

The container files are not corrupt. I can disconnect the USB drive from the desktop & connect it to my laptop and open them on my laptop with 64-bit Windows.

On the USB drive (1.5-TB Freeagent Desktop USB), the file Seagate_Manager.Exe (I believe its a driver file) carries a digital signature date of September 25th 2009; file version 16.0.0.328; product version 2.01.0600.

I hope this is helpful.

• Hello,

Follow the steps enclosed in my email reply and let me know if the issue persist. Thank you!

• Hello,

Follow the steps enclosed in my email reply and let me know if the issue persist. Thank you!

I responded to your email.

I have had Device Scanning turned OFF... BitDefender AntiVirus Pro 2011 (32-bit) still wants to scan CD/DVD or USB drives. And if I open a BestCrypt encrypted container file, I still get a BSOD and rapid reboot.

I hope this helps.

• One thing I noticed. As I mentioned above, I have Device Scanning turned OFF... BitDefender AntiVirus Pro 2011 (32-bit) still wants to scan my USB drives. I have C: and D: as internal HDD and one external HDD as USB.

When BitDefender AntiVirus Pro 2011 (32-bit) does a custom scan, despite my have only C and D drives chosen, it does a scan on my external USB HDD. I want to note I have only drives C and D checked. I have no other drives or devices checked.

I am thinking this might be related to my BSOD issue with the container files being on my Seagate FreeAgent Desktop USB HDD.

• Hi Wayne,

Would you agree to a remote session with me the week to come ? I will be in the office from Wednesday to Sunday so, if you decide to an answer please let me know via PM. Include the day and time when you will be available along with your phone number where I can reach you.

Kind regards,