Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Counter-strike Source Launch Issues

Options
synthesitis
edited April 2011 in Others

Hello,

I was having serious issues getting source to launch. I applied all the fixes listed in the links below and was still getting the same problem.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...=counter+strike

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...on't+launch

Add a rule in antivirus exclusions...

From expert view.

- Click antivirus tab

- Click Advanced Settings Button

- Click Exclusions Tab

- Click the small + button

- locate and select C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\%steam user%\counter-strike source\hl2.exe

- After that is added to your exclusions click ok

- Close bitdefender and launch counter-strike source

I hope this helps. Please let me know if this worked for you.

Have a nice day

Comments

• Hi synthesitis,

Have you tried to see if it works with the BitDefender modules deactivated, as my colleague, DanyDan wrote here ? In case you did, let me know which module is causing you the issue. Also, please mention your system configuration (CPU, System type...).

Thank you!

• I'm good dude. My previous post did the trick. Bitdefender was preventing the program from launching with the application management thing. Application launches everytime with AVC on high and IDS enabled now. Just add the exclusion in active antivirus control settings. Easy fix. I just posted it so people wouldn't mess with it for as long as I did.

• Oh system specs.

AMD Phenom II x64

4 gigs corsair ddr3 dual channel

2TB Seagate Barracuda Sata 6g

ATI Radeon 5850 Black

Asus MOBO

Windows 7 x64

Bitdefender 2011 Total

• The problem was really weird. I deactivated all of the modules in advanced setting under the antivirus tab. The same problem was still occurring. I completely disabled antivirus, firewall, antispam, and privacy. CSS still wouldn't launch. After I added the exclusion for hl2.exe under the exclusions tab I had no problems. I tested out launching it about 20 times with a few restarts in between. Works great now.

• Hi synthesitis,

I am glad to hear that the issue you contacted us has been solved. Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you!

• hi!

since i have almost identical system as synthesitis(8g ddr3, 5870) im putting this here. adding hl.exe in exclusions made css launch possible. BUT after twenty minutes or so my ping is starting to raise from 30 to 100-400 and im lagging more and more. after an hour or so game is unplayable. cant throw grenades or switch weapons. one time i actually got kick from one server for speedhack. i guess it was because i was warping so much. there was only this bot and i in this public server. my internet 10/1 cable. wireless reuter is behind a wall but it was a problem before. i have played css for a 6 years.

my windows 7 ultimate sp1 is genuine and activated. i only disabled antivirus and firewall for thirty minutes as was advised in some other thread. should i disable them permanently during gaming? i can play like ten hours.. i dont mind disabling them and running antivirus scan after playing. my c drive is only 120gb ssd so it should be a fast scan. but wouldnt it be risky to disable firewall for so long?

i have installed and uninstalled bitdefender many times and with only windows firewall game works perfectly..

thx :)

ps. my firefox 4 is also very slow now but i look for solutions for that in other threads..

• Lowbatt,

It sounds like there may be different issues at hand creating your problem. Try running malwarebytes anti malware to see if there is any malware bitdefender didn't detect. www.malwarebytes.org . Are you running any bit torrent clients or anything? They can create ultra high ping and lag.

• Lowbatt,

It sounds like there may be different issues at hand creating your problem. Try running malwarebytes anti malware to see if there is any malware bitdefender didn't detect. www.malwarebytes.org . Are you running any bit torrent clients or anything? They can create ultra high ping and lag.

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)

Objects scanned: 317441

Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 24 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

didnt really surpsised me. i put this hd(ocz vertex 2 120gb) in only a week ago and havent installed anything else than newest gpu drivers, windows 7 sp1+everything windows update recommended..), bitdefender total 2011, steam+2 games, firefox 4 and gomplayer. anyway disabling firewall and antivirus just works sometimes. hl2.exe shows in task manager but nothing happens. maybe 1/10 times it works. i uninstalled bitdefender and played css over two hours without problems so theres not really anything else that could be my problem.

but i dont know much about computers so BDTS2011 could only cause the launch problem and something else have caused the lagging issue. theres holes in my reuters firewall for all the recommended ports and, like i said, i have played this game for a long time. i know what it should be like and i never use the bandwith for anything else than fps if i play play fps. so no, theres no pr0n downloads on while i play :)

i have also tried steam in other hard drive. no good.

• synthesitis
    edited April 2011
    Options

Yeah thats really weird. I don't think its the bitdefender as I have never had that problem at all, you never know though. Just to see what your computer is doing, can you download hijackthis at http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/ . Run a log and either have it analyzed at a website or post it here and i'll submit it to be analyzed for you. Let me know the results. Rock on dude.

My bd settings look like this.

AVC - High

IDS - Critical

Firewall - Allow known programs

Antispam - Moderate

Privacy Control - Default

I also disabled automatic game mode. I think it works better when enabled manually (personal preference)

• B_D
    Options

CSS would not load for me ether (hl2.exe)

I did everything in here and still did not work.

In the AVC and IDS tabs I had to add steam.exe & hl2.exe to the exclusions tab even though AVC/IDS where disabled, after doing this game loaded fine....

To add exclusion need to enable AVC/IDS then disable :)

Strange probilem, hope that added info might help someone else out there.

BD

• Unknown
    Options

Hello,

The first workaround that should be taken into consideration whenever a program is suspected to be blocked by BitDefender is to add it as exceptions into AVC/IDS.

Synthesitis: having the settings below, it's no wonder it's blocking programs. You should read what AVC and IDS are doing before keeping them on the highest settings values. AVC - High ; IDS - Critical

A recommended level would be: AVC on permissive , IDS disabled (as set by default at installation).

I would also recommend you to read the following two offline help articles:

- antivirus.shield.avc.html

- antivirus.shield.ids.html

Both files are located in your PC at the location below:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\Support\offlinemanual\html

We are currently investigating the issue and a fix will be available in the shortest time possible.

If you have any new / additional info you think it might help us better understand the issue you encounter, feel free to post them here.

Kind regards,

• synthesitis
    edited May 2011
    Options

@Danydan

I don't have this problem anymore. I posted my fix for it in the thread start to see if it would help some people. I was running it at permissive initially and it was getting blocked. I added the exception and it fixed the problem. After that I cranked it up to high. As long as game mode is enabled and the exclusion is present it shouldn't matter what level you have your AVC/IDS at.

• Unknown
    Options

Hello,

Synthesitis: indeed, when you enable Game Mode then the Real Time Protection will go to a specific protection level so it will not interfere with the launched game. Furthermore, I would like to recommend you to keep the AVC on a more permissive level so you will reduce the number of false positive reported by AVC.

Thank you for the info you submitted !