Antivirus And Firewall Off!

Hi I'm using Windows & and the message center says that my antivirus and my firewall are off but when I check BD seems to be OK!So whats going on?

Comments

• Hello John,

Please follow the steps below and let me know if the issue still occurs:

1. Restart your PC in Windows Safe Mode as explained below;

2. Locate the folder:

C:\Windows\System32\wbem\;

3. Delete the folder called 'Repository';

Rebuilding WMI by deleting the Repository folder and allowing it to be reconstructed should resolved the issue you encounter.

[how to start Windows in Safe Mode]

If Windows is the only operating system installed on your computer, start into Windows Safe Mode with these instructions:

* If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power;

* Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on;

* Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.

* Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.

* Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.

* When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

Please let me know the results.

Regards,

• Yeah, everything got normal after a simple restart but thats whats worries me :unsure: I did scan nothing shows except that some files couldn't be scanned because they are overcompresed what ever that means?!

• With all the respect however the facts do not worry me. I was expecting to be resolved with a simple PC restart. Sometimes, if there are a lot of entries in the Windows Start-up, it may slowdown the PC a little so the Windows Service associated with these notifications (Windows Security Center - a.k.a. WSC - as explained below ) will start before the BitDefender services are starting so that's why you get the notification.

The WSCSVC (Windows Security Center) service monitors and reports security health settings on the computer. The health settings include firewall (on/off), antivirus (on/off/out of date), antispyware (on/off/out of date), Windows Update (automatically/manually download and install updates), User Account Control (on/off), and Internet settings (recommended/not recommended). The service provides COM APIs for independent software vendors to register and record the state of their products to the Security Center service (the security solutions). The Action Center (AC) UI uses the service to provide systray alerts and a graphical view of the security health states in the AC control panel.

I believe you are using a lower amount of RAM on your PC ? This could be the first explanation I could think of. If the issue resurface please let me know.

Regards,

• I have the same problem again and now restart didn't help, it shows again so please can you help?I have Pentium® Dual Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz ATI radeon 4350 with 512 RAM (it can use from main RAM when necessary but I don't know how to do that) 3GB of RAM on 800 MHz.My scan reveals no maladies, my start up's quite low just the BD services...

• john.shephard26
    edited May 2011

Did new restart no messages but I got this after some time:

An unauthorized change was made to windows

you will no longer recieve notifications, including those about your licence or activation, use this link below to find out how to fix your system

error 0x80070005

description

Access denied.

• Hello,

The error code 0x80070005 is also described as ACCESS DENIED. Are you using Windows Vista ? The error code is also associated with an Windows Update issue as explained in the Microsoft article below:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...d4-6457ac619c19

Can you post a screenshot of the error you receive ?

Thank you!

• Did new restart no messages but I got this after some time:

An unauthorized change was made to windows

you will no longer recieve notifications, including those about your licence or activation, use this link below to find out how to fix your system

error 0x80070005

description

Access denied.

I just started receiving the same message.

New netbook with Windows 7 Starter. Upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium. Installed BitDefender. Continually received above error message. Turned off "real time" scanning on BD and the message has not returned after multiple reboots.

Next step is to re-enable "real time" scanning and see if the error reappears. My uninformed guess would be that the WGA process needs to modify a file and BD won't let it.

Cheers,

Dustin

• Hello Wirefall,

Where do you receive the error message ? In a pop-up window ? When is the error occurring ?

When you mentioned:

New netbook with Windows 7 Starter. Upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium.
    you mean an upgrade of your OS ? Did you have BitDefender installed during the upgrade ?

Follow the steps explained in THIS article then send me a PM with the generated log file along with a detailed description of the issue you encounter and the link to this topic.

Looking forward to your answer!

• DanyDan,

Thanks for the quick response. I don't recall for sure whether I upgraded from Starter to Home Premium prior to installing BitDefender, but I do believe that to be the case, i.e new netbook with Starter, upgraded to Home Premium, then BD installed.

The problem seemed to go away when I disabled BD real time scanning, but in reality it only occurred less. I completely uninstalled BD and both the described persistent error message "An unauthorized change was made to Windows..." and the Server Busy error (that appeared to tie back to a BD process according to Task Manager), which appeared only on first boot, disappeared.

I reinstalled BD, and for several days now have been symptom free of both problems.

Cheers,

Dustin

Hey Dustin,

Glad to see the issue is now resolved. If you have any further queries feel free to contact us anytime!

Yours,