Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Just Got A Virus, Thanks You Worthless Software

Options

So I just got a virus on my sweet machine. Luckily I am back up posting this because I use ACRONIS TRUE Image software. I recovered from a Bit level back up and it has worked perfectly. However I am here because I use this CRAPPY CRAP and I GOT A VIRUS even though I HAVE PAID to have this not happen. Beware anyone that thinks paying Bit Defender is the way to go. Youre better off with basic free windows software.

Come on Dev's and Support. Defend this please. I am ready for the poor excuses for your failure to do the basic task with which youre paid. Unreal!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Zimmer, a NEVER again client who is now looking for antivirus software even though Im paid up for another year here.

*** Yeah no obscene material was searched for or looked at during this. My buddies and I got into an argument about the stock suspension on a new lancer vs the stock evo suspension. Seriously, SERIOUSLY, so if youre an evo fan beware.

Comments

• Bump.......

It's equivalent to hiring a security guard only to get robbed anyways. Try and defend your software now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Unknown
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hello,

Do you expect a security solution to detect and clean ALL viruses regardless of the virus type and the date the first version was released into the void ? Please keep in mind that ALL security solutions must first get their hands on a sample of that virus so it can be signed and recognized afterward.

It's equivalent to hiring a security guard only to get robbed anyways.

- Can you hire an invincible security guard to protect you ? A security guard that is not touch by bullets, rockets or any other harmful weapons.

What virus you got your PC infected with ? You should have at least mention its name or where you got it from (website, CD, etc). Last but not least, the Dev. Team has nothing to do with the Malware team.

I am NOT defending our products, I am just trying to explain you that what you ask for is pretty much impossible IF we refer to the NEWEST viruses released into the void. No Company developing security solutions will have access to all viruses launched, first handed. That is why we request samples from all customers complaining that their PCs got infected. To determine IF:

- either the file is a False Positive;

- either the file is infected but not detected by BitDefender therefore a detection needs to be added;

IMPORTANT: Below you will find a procedure that will determine if your BitDefender product is working properly. You will need to download a test file which should be detected by BitDefender - this file is not infected in any way, it's just a file used to confirm that BitDefender is properly protecting your PC.

Therefore please go to http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm and download the eicar.com file. The BitDefender popup should appear(if the Real-Time Protection is enabled).

• I got defender.exe, which shut down every non essential system process and would not let me open task manager or any program.

DannyDan you have some valid points. I basically agree with you if we can come to some agreements.

I paid for this service only to protect me from such things. If we can agree that myself and other who pay to be protected cannot be assured that just basically surfing the web can be assuredly safe, then yes, your argument is valid. Even a security guard doesnt guarantee you won't get robbed.

I just want to make it a dead obvious point. So you agree that myself and everyone here who has purchased this software, cannot ever be assured that just basic web surfing is safe????????

I torrent and do things like that and I know that those are known risks and things do happen. However when I am surfing for normal material and one click off of a google search give my machine a paralyzing virus, I consider BDIS to have failed even the most modest task which it was assigned.

Nuff Said!!

• Duradel
    edited May 2011
    Options

I have to agree with DanyDan. No AV software is completely invulnerable to viruses, especially zero day viruses which have just been created. What you CAN do is report any viruses that slip through the net to BitDefender and whether you believe it to be a false positive or not.

• Unknown
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi again Jeff,

Whenever you believe (you must not be certain about it) you have an infected file, send us an email or post in the Forum and ask for an analysis of that file.

I will speak with one of my colleagues and friend, a Sr. Engineer working with the Malware team to assist you further and help you get rid of the infection your PC caught.

With all due respect however I hard if less likely to get a paralyzing PC with a simple click, except maybe when that click is launching a saved exe file or launch a web-based ****** (Java etc).

Are you able to start the PC in Safe Mode ? If not, you can use the Rescue CD we provide to scan and clean your PC. I would also like to know more details about what exactly is happening with the infected PC: what are the exact symptoms ?

One of the "secrets" for a Company producing a security solution with a good virus definitions database is the cooperation between its users and the Malware analysis team. More samples each of our users are sending, the richer our virus definitions database becomes.

To answer your question, I must first know what you mean by "basic web surfing". I hope you agree with me on this one :) The only thing I can tell you for sure is that the only 101% safe PC is the one not connected to the Internet neither an intranet (local network).

I would recommend you to take a look at the following KB article:

http://kb.bitdefender.com/site/article/627/

Last but not least, my colleague Cristian will contact you shortly to start troubleshooting the issue you encounter.

Best regards,

• Zontor
    Options
    I got defender.exe, which shut down every non essential system process and would not let me open task manager or any program.

DannyDan you have some valid points. I basically agree with you if we can come to some agreements.

I paid for this service only to protect me from such things. If we can agree that myself and other who pay to be protected cannot be assured that just basically surfing the web can be assuredly safe, then yes, your argument is valid. Even a security guard doesnt guarantee you won't get robbed.

I just want to make it a dead obvious point. So you agree that myself and everyone here who has purchased this software, cannot ever be assured that just basic web surfing is safe????????

I torrent and do things like that and I know that those are known risks and things do happen. However when I am surfing for normal material and one click off of a google search give my machine a paralyzing virus, I consider BDIS to have failed even the most modest task which it was assigned.

Nuff Said!!

You never mentioned what link you clicked on. So I did a search (phrase: stock suspension lancer vs evo) clicked on 20 Google links, in both FF and IE 9 (I am running W7 64-bit) and couldn't replicate your results. In other words I clicked on 20 links and never was infected with a paralyzing virus or any other virus nor did I get a warning from BD. Then again I don't know what search phrase(s) you used so I am not sure I am clicking on the same links.

Perhaps you can provide the link in an edited form, that would really be helpful. Something like http:// this site gave me a virus . com.

• jeffzz421
    edited May 2011
    Options

Bottom line is I know computers well enough to know that BDIS is garbage and free AV software offers the same protection BDIS does. That is my point.

Im now running [cersored] and I have no desire to keep wasting my time with BDIS in any way. So you guys win. Guess after the massive x64 fiasco (Dan knows what Im talking about), constant BDIS is not responding errors, and now this, I am fully fed up with the software. I have purchased lots of software and this is the ONLY time I have ever felt truly ripped off. Read other posts on these forums, I am not alone. Of course you guys couldnt duplicate the virus. No offense but that's a common answer to peoples problems on here and it's not a solution. Excuses for problems don't make you guys look any better. Guess thats been said a lot on this forum too. Yeah I had two computes running identical os's and basically identical everything that would matter, and one BDIS installation blocked my ventrilo only to a specific server. Another problem I had. And I was supposed to give out vent Ips to get this fixed.....Dont think so.

So like I said you guys win, however maybe not. As Im sure casual readers on this forum have noticed these posts and my points that basically tell everyone go get free software. This stuff is no better. You can buy better, but BDIS isn't it. And If you guys ever lose enough customers it might matter. Until then I have no problem moving on.

Saying g'day to BDIS has been my best technological move yet :)

Adios

• Unknown
    Options

We apologize for any negative experience you have encountered with our products or our support. Your feedback is appreciated, and will be directed to the appropriate team for review, to enable us to improve our support and services.

Thank you for taking the time and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further details from us.

This discussion has been closed.