Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Full System Scan Runs Every Day

Options

BD AVPro 2011 runs a full system scan every morning. However, the schedule is set to "no" recurring scan. In fact, there are no schedules set up at all. I can cancel the full system scan, but it will run the next day. I want to permanently stop the automatic scan, but have been unable to discover where the scan is being kicked off. (Using BD Antivirus Pro 2011 with current update on Win 7 64-bit machine.) Does anyone have any hints in where to look?

Comments

• I am also running BDAV Pro 2011, but do not experience this issue. Make sure the "Scan when idle" checkbox is unchecked.

post-35640-1309288177_thumb.jpg

Regards,

• coxrail
    Options
    I am also running BDAV Pro 2011, but do not experience this issue. Make sure the "Scan when idle" checkbox is unchecked.

post-35640-1309288177_thumb.jpg

Regards,

My "Run task"..."when idle" (under Performance Optimization) is unchecked. (Thanks for making me look, though.) I am also running the same version of BDAV 2011 under WinXP on other machines and none of them show this infuriating behavior.

• OK, next I would recommend you try a Repair of BD. This will reset any custom settings you may have selected to factory defaults, so make note of them before hand. The "Repair or Remove" function can be found in the BD program folder from the Windows Start button. Reboot the PC after the Repair and then put back any custom settings.

After this, also do an "Update Now" to make sure you have the current version installed.

Please post back with your results.

Regaards,

• coxrail
    Options
    OK, next I would recommend you try a Repair of BD. This will reset any custom settings you may have selected to factory defaults, so make note of them before hand. The "Repair or Remove" function can be found in the BD program folder from the Windows Start button. Reboot the PC after the Repair and then put back any custom settings.

After this, also do an "Update Now" to make sure you have the current version installed.

Please post back with your results.

Regaards,

Thanks, I will.

However, the original folder that held my BD program pieces (Remove/Repair etc) is missing. Do you know the name of the Remove/Repair executable? I don't see any obvious .exe in Program files > Bitdefender 2011.

• Oops, time to stop. Your last statement tells me that the BD installation may be corrupt if that folder is missing. If it is missing, there is no telling what else may be corrupted.

At this point it's time to remove & reinstall BD. Download the BD uninstall tool and save it to your PC. Then, right-click on it and select Run as Administrator. You can get the uninstall tool from HERE. When the uninstall tool completes, reboot the PC.

If you need to re-download your BD product, the download links can be found in this topic. Install BD normally and reboot the PC when the installation completes. Your original license key should be retained after the re-install.

After the reboot, right-click on the BD icon in the Windows System Tray and select Update Now to make sure you have the latest program version and virus definitions.

Regards,

• coxrail
    Options
    Oops, time to stop. Your last statement tells me that the BD installation may be corrupt if that folder is missing. If it is missing, there is no telling what else may be corrupted.

At this point it's time to remove & reinstall BD. Download the BD uninstall tool and save it to your PC. Then, right-click on it and select Run as Administrator. You can get the uninstall tool from HERE. When the uninstall tool completes, reboot the PC.

If you need to re-download your BD product, the download links can be found in this topic. Install BD normally and reboot the PC when the installation completes. Your original license key should be retained after the re-install.

After the reboot, right-click on the BD icon in the Windows System Tray and select Update Now to make sure you have the latest program version and virus definitions.

Regards,

Thanks for the advise. It turns out that Repair/Remove is actually a subroutine within setup.exe. It is kicked off with a "/repair" switch. It is certainly less problematic to simply do a fresh reinstall and get rid of all potential problems in the process.

I just finished reinstalling and updating. I will now wait a day or two to see if the auto-scan behavior got fixed. I will get back to you with the result.

• Great :) Did you use the BD Uninstall Tool to remove the previous BD installation?

I will wait for your results in a day or two.

Regards,

• Chimel
    Options

I also had to uninstall/reinstall BDA 2011 twice on Windows 7 x64 to resolve some antivirus schedule glitches, see my earlier post.

I have a gut feeling this is caused by BDA automatic updates that may corrupt the schedule in some instances.

Did the scan happen systematically since you first installed BDA 2011, or did it start on its own later, maybe after an automatic update?

@nikki605 The license key is not retained after using the uninstall tool, all Registry and other traces of BDA are removed by the tool.