Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Critical Error Screen

Options

I am running XP and recently received your update that fixed the problems with BD 2011 and XP. Thank you for working on it. Now when I boot up Windows always says that BitDefender is turned off. When I update, it always gives options to update both files and product. If I update the product I get an advisory screen. It is the Report Wizard saying that BitDefender has encountered a critical error. I am unable to printscreen or snapshot this advisory. There is an option to submit this with a message, and I have done that several times. I have also gone into Programs and run the "repair" option. I am not updating the product anymore, but I wonder if I am protected.

It seems to me that your newer version is not truly compatible with Windows XP. I know this is now old software, but there are many of us that still use it and are happy with it. Should I just be looking for a different security product?

Comments

• I am running BD Antivirus 2011 (you didn't say which specific product you have installed) on my Win XP Pro SP3 x86 desktop with no problem after the past few BDAV program updates. It is possible that one of the recent updates may not have been installed properly on your PC.

Please follow the procedure below to have BD tech support investigate your issue further.

1. First please unplug the Internet cable from your computer or disable the Wireless adaptor if you are using one. This prevents the supporttools files from being automatically uploaded.

2. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

3. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

4. Double-click on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator

5. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish

6. A file will be created on your desktop. Please move it to a location of your choice (i.e. move it on your c:\ drive)

7. Reconnect your internet cable (only after you have moved the file to the new location)

8. Upload the created file HERE

9. Include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering and a screenshot of the error message, if there is one.

10. Send a PM (Private Message) with the download link to DanyDan of tech support. Include a link to this topic and give him as much detail as possible about your PC - exact symptoms, hardware (CPU type/speed, Memory installed, etc.), OS and version, 32-bit or 64-bit, any other security software installed or previously uninstalled. Any other relevant configuration information.

It may take several days for them to analyze the files and respond depending on their workload, so please be patient.

Regards,

• I am running BD Antivirus 2011 (you didn't say which specific product you have installed) on my Win XP Pro SP3 x86 desktop with no problem after the past few BDAV program updates. It is possible that one of the recent updates may not have been installed properly on your PC.

Please follow the procedure below to have BD tech support investigate your issue further.

1. First please unplug the Internet cable from your computer or disable the Wireless adaptor if you are using one. This prevents the supporttools files from being automatically uploaded.

2. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

3. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

4. Double-click on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator

5. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish

6. A file will be created on your desktop. Please move it to a location of your choice (i.e. move it on your c:\ drive)

7. Reconnect your internet cable (only after you have moved the file to the new location)

8. Upload the created file HERE

9. Include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering and a screenshot of the error message, if there is one.

10. Send a PM (Private Message) with the download link to DanyDan of tech support. Include a link to this topic and give him as much detail as possible about your PC - exact symptoms, hardware (CPU type/speed, Memory installed, etc.), OS and version, 32-bit or 64-bit, any other security software installed or previously uninstalled. Any other relevant configuration information.

It may take several days for them to analyze the files and respond depending on their workload, so please be patient.

Regards,

My bad, I figured that since you have every piece of information I will give online, and I am logged in, maybe you would know what version I am running. Silly me! I have done everything you advise here, but you did not say to whom the file should be sent once I am in to SendSpace. I sent it to you tech support, but I did send the link to DanyDan. I put a detailed message on the link, and on the message. I hope I have put this message in enough places for you to get it.

I am not usually this sarcastic, but these problems are wearing me thin. I have another year left on my BD subscription, but I have about had it. You really hosed up the XP systems out here, and I can't help but think this is related to that. I am an old man, I don't need this kind of hassle taking up my time.

• Unknown
    Options

Hello,

I have analyzed the logs you provided me with and noticed that the BitDefender Real Time Protection driver (bdselfpr.sys) was not installed correctly on your PC due to the fact that you have a secondary security solution, providing a similar protection.

├-fsssvc
    │├    Type    REG_DWORD    0x00000010 (16)
    │├    Start    REG_DWORD    0x00000003 (3)
    │├    ErrorControl    REG_DWORD    0x00000001 (1)
    │├    ImagePath    REG_EXPAND_SZ    "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Family Safety\fsssvc.exe"
    │├    DisplayName    REG_SZ    Windows Live Family Safety Service
    │├    DependOnService    REG_MULTI_SZ    rpcss
    │├    DependOnGroup    REG_MULTI_SZ    
    │├    ObjectName    REG_SZ    LocalSystem
    │├    Description    REG_SZ    This service enables Family Safety on the computer. If this service is not running, Family Safety will not work.
    │├    FailureActions    REG_BINARY    80 51 01 00 01 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 53 00 65 00 ...
    │└+Security

Please uninstall Windows Family Safety from your PC as explained in the Microsoft KB article below then restart the PC.

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-softwa...ily-safety.html

Then reinstall BitDefender as explained in the email I've sent you in response to the ticket you had open with my colleague Delia. Please check your email associated with the forum account, follow the steps and confirm that the issue is now resolved.

Ticket ID: 201107201054112.

Best regards,

• nikki605
    edited July 2011
    Options

I am a volunteer moderator on the forum and can only see what you put in your post. I don't work for BD.

Step 10 of the procedure said to PM the sendspace download link to DanyDan, who does work for BD in tech support, and from what you stated, it sounds like that is what you did. DanyDan has the technical knowledge and tools to investigate the log files for anything that looks out of the ordinary and then get back to you.

Some would consider me to be in that "old man" category, myself. ;)

Thanks, for taking the time to follow through with submitting the logs. :)

Regards,

EDIT: I see DanyDan has already posted a reply. :)