Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefener Not Compatible With Slingbox Or Slingplayer? Video Streaming

Options

As soon as I installed Bitdefender 2012, my Slingbox stopped working. And even with all protection and firewall shut off it is still blocking internet viewing. Only after I uninstalled it, it works.

I tried to add it to general rules and create exclusions, but it still wouldn't work.

I have asked several customer care agents via chat, phone, and email to escalate this issue in the technical department.

Please provide me with a solution as soon as possible or confirm if BD is not compatible with Slingbox and SlingPlayer hardware and software in order to stream video and allow internet viewing.

If Gary or a Senior engineer at BD reads this, please refer to the tickets below:

Ticket ID:201109051049111

Ticket ID:201108281005464

Ticket ID:201109051056331

Thanks in advance for your prompt response.

Comments

• Unknown
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hello and welcome!

I will be the one dealing with your case. I took ownership of all the three tickets you had open with us, as following:

- since your ticket is escalated now, I have closed all the 3(three) tickets and we will continue working on: 201109101009371.

I have analyzed the logs you sent and I have few questions, If it's OK:

1. I've noticed the last entry in the Events on Monday, 05 Sep 2011 18:57:33 GMT asking you to reboot the PC. Considering your post was also made today, I still need to ask you even if may sound odd: have you restarted the PC since then September 5th to apply the latest BitDefender product update?

2. I believe at the first look that the cause of the conflict is the SlingPlayer Accelerated Video Decoder auto update process therefore I will also need an 'Autoruns' log generated with the tool provided by Microsoft - you'll find all the info you need in the email;

3. Please add the file below into exceptions into AVC as explained below and tell me if the issue is resolved;

C:\Program Files\Sling Media\SlingAgent\SlingAgentService.exe

4. Disable AVC and check if the issue is resolved if the step 3 failed to resolve it;

5. Check the second email received from me and let me know if the issue is resolved after renaming the bdfm file;

[How To add a program as exclusion into AVC]

Please follow the steps below to add the software blocked by AVC into exclusions list:

Open BitDefender, go to "Settings" -> "Antivirus" tab -> "Exclusions" and click on "Excluded processes". Click on the "Add" button to add the EXE file in question so it won't be scanned/blocked by AVC. Restart the PC again to see if the issue still occur.

Looking forward to your answer!

Kind regards,

P.S. a pleasure to troubleshoot on such a well organized PC :) even tho', If I may, I would uninstall part of all the 'cleaning tools' installed, they are all using 90%+ the same malware database so it's kind of pointless to scan with them all.

• Thanks Dany, I will be trying your suggested fixes today and will let you know the results or we could do a remote session later. Thanks again for your prompt response and recommendations.

---------------------------------------

Hello and welcome!

I will be the one dealing with your case. I took ownership of all the three tickets you had open with us, as following:

- since your ticket is escalated now, I have closed all the 3(three) tickets and we will continue working on: 201109101009371.

1. I've noticed the last entry in the Events on Monday, 05 Sep 2011 18:57:33 GMT asking you to reboot the PC. Considering your post was also made today, I still need to ask you even if may sound odd: have you restarted the PC since then September 5th to apply the latest BitDefender product update?

2. I believe at the first look that the cause of the conflict is the SlingPlayer Accelerated Video Decoder auto update process therefore I will also need an 'Autoruns' log generated with the tool provided by Microsoft - you'll find all the info you need in the email;

3. Please add the file below into exceptions into AVC as explained below and tell me if the issue is resolved;

4. Disable AVC and check if the issue is resolved if the step 3 failed to resolve it;

5. Check the second email received from me and let me know if the issue is resolved after renaming the bdfm file;

Kind regards,

P.S. a pleasure to troubleshoot on such a well organized PC :) even tho', If I may, I would uninstall part of all the 'cleaning tools' installed, they are all using 90%+ the same malware database so it's kind of pointless to scan with them all.

• Hi Dany,

Here is the answer to your five instructions:

1) Yes, I have restarted tens of times the PC since that date when trying all kinds of combinations of settings to see if somehow the issues gets resolved. I have also restarted every day after I click on the update button to make sure BD is up to date.

2) I have sent you the Autoruns Log in the reply to your email. Hope this help.

3) I didn't have any faith in this recommendation since I was sure I have already tried it. However, I still did it again. I added not only the SlingAgentService.exe file but all other SlingBox related executable files (SlingPlayer.exe, AutoUpdateDeployerUI.exe, SlingAgentApplicationUI.exe, SlingAgentInvoker.exe) into the 'Exclusions' tab in the 'Antvirus' module in BD2012. I added these files in both sections 'Excluded files and folders' and 'Excluded processes'. I restarted the PC and tried the SlingPlayer again with no luck.... the same error appeared again....no event shown in BD, nothing indicates that BD would be blocking it. However, as soon as I unstalled it, everything goes back to normal and the SlingPlayer works perfectly.

4) I also didn't have faith on this one since I also tried it before. Anyway, I did tried it again thinking that maybe a recent update would have a fix (I noticed after I did the BD update that several events were requesting to reboot). After rebooting, I deactivated the Antive Virus Control (AVC) by switching it OFF. Then I tried again the SlingPlayer and still got the error.

I also switched OFF the Intrusion Detection System (IDS) and switched OFF the 'Block port scans' option just to see if it might work. Unfortunately I still got the error with the SlingPlayer. Then I decided to switch the whole Antivirus module OFF and Firewall OFF (which switches OFF the autopilot). Again, no luck... I got the same error in SlingPlayer. I decided to switch OFF the 'Block port scans' as I mentioned because I saw several events saying BD was blocking several Port scans. Another thing I noticed was that I'm getting frequent events requesting to reboot "in order to complete the installation". I have tried all these steps after rebooting and seeing the 'Update suceeded' message in the Update events. Unfortunately, nothing solved the issue.

The issue is only solved after I uninstall BD completely.

5) I will proceed to follow your instructions in the second email you sent me and I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again for your support. Hopefully we will find what is causing this error.

--------------------------------

Hello and welcome!

Kind regards,

• Hi Dany,

Bad news.... I have tried all your instructions now including the ones in your second email (point 5). The issue still persists plus I got a Critical error when I tried to turn on the autopilot after setting BD updates on prompt. I have sent you a separate email with a file with the screenshots of the critical error and I have also included the screenshots of the SlingPlayer error and CNET download error I am getting since I installed BD 2012. I have attached the file here too.

I hope the autoruns log I sent before will be useful to try something else. Please let me know if I should rename back the file to the normal sys extension (or just update with the product option so it replaces the file). I guess I should also revert back the updates with prompt to 'silent update' since it is updating frequently. I have already reverted back all other changes I tried with the settings before but I left the exclusions and firewall rules I added.

If you see there is no quick solution or BD 2012 is currently incompatible with Slingbox/Slingplayer software and functionality for video streaming, internet viewing, and remote downloads through CNET, then please let me know. I do not want the 30 days pass and then I cannot get a full refund.

Thanks and I will wait for your response.

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=8325" data-fileid="8325" rel="">BD_issues.ppt

• Hi,

Replied via email in response to the ticket ID: 201109101009371.

Thank you.

• I am having the same exact problems, and Bitdefender have been so slow in responding that it is past my 30 day period. I think bitdefeder must come back with a plan for a solution .... or refund us..

I am still pushing bitdefender for a response

• Hello,

In order to find the reason of the issue you encounter please follow the steps below and let me know which of the two files, after renaming them, is resolving the issue:

[howto rename "httpvs10u.dll"]

1. Open the Bitdefender > Settings

2. Go to the "Update" module

3. Select "Prompt before downloading"

4. Now restart the computer in Safe Mode.

[How to restart in Safe Mode]

- Restart the computer (Windows Start button - Turn Off - Restart);

- Press the 'F8' key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load;

you need to press 'F8' until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select 'SAFE MODE' in the text menu and press 'Enter'.

- Wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation message; click 'OK' to acknowledge.

6. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2012 folder.

7. Locate the file "httpvs10u.dll" and rename it to "httpvs10u.dl_" (if you have "httpvs9u.dll" rename it to "httpvs9u.dl_");

8. Restart the computer in Normal mode;

9. Once the product will want to Update, please make sure to select only the Virus Signature option and not the Product Update one, as that will replace the file you renamed in Safemode.

10. Tell me if the issue is solve now.

NOTE:

If you are not seeing the file extention please go to Start -> Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View tab -> unchek the option "Hide extensions for known file types".

IF the issue still persist try the following steps:

[howto rename avc3.sys]

1. Set the BitDefender Updates on prompt;

2. Restart the computer in Safe Mode.

4. Browse to:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder.

5. Locate the file "avc3.sys"and rename it into "avc3.sy_";

6. Restart the computer in Normal mode;

7. Once the product will want to Update, please make sure to select only the "Signatures update" option and not the Product Update one, as that will replace the file you renamed in Safemode;

8. Check if the issue still occurs.

[how to set BitDefender updates on prompt]

- open BitDefender GUI;

- click on 'Settings';

- go to 'Update';

- select 'Prompt before downloading';

- click on 'Home';

- Press the 'F8' key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load; you need to press 'F8' until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select 'SAFE MODE' in the text menu and press 'Enter';

- Wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation message; click 'OK' to acknowledge.

Please let me know if renaming any of the two files mentioned above is resolving the issue you encounter.

Kind regards,

• Hello,

In order to find the reason of the issue you encounter please follow the steps below and let me know which of the two files, after renaming them, is resolving the issue:

6. Browse to:

7. Locate the file "httpvs10u.dll" and rename it to "httpvs10u.dl_" (if you have "httpvs9u.dll" rename it to "httpvs9u.dl_");

9. Once the product will want to Update, please make sure to select only the Virus Signature option and not the Product Update one, as that will replace the file you renamed in Safemode.

NOTE:

If you are not seeing the file extention please go to Start -> Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View tab -> unchek the option "Hide extensions for known file types".

Hello Daniel,

I am having the same exact issue on two machines and my research on the issue has lead me here. On one, the Slingbox client worked fine with BitDefender 2011 but fails with 2012. The other is a brand new out of the box laptop where the Sling connection was working fine until removing the factory installed Antivirus and installing BitDefender. I have tried the rename solution for httpvs10u.dll and that does work for me, but that sounds like a work-around and not a long-term fix.

Please advise as to a permenent fix.

Thanks!

Jay

p.s. Sorry for jumping into this tread.

• Hi all;

this cool !

this solution also solving HAVA pc player.

after long hours using HAVA pc player,BT will hang and show services cannot start,

pls restart the computer.

Thanks!

• another question

did I need to disable BT AVC HV?

thanks

• Daniel,

Renaming httpvs10Xu.dll fixed the issue for me. By renaming the dll what featurers are disabled vs the full version of Bitdefender? Are you working on permanent fix.

Also, I would recommend that Bitdefender add a disclaimer that is not compatible with Slingbox so people don't by the product by mistake.

Thanks

Lou

Hello,

6. Browse to:

NOTE:

[howto rename avc3.sys]

4. Browse to:

7. Once the product will want to Update, please make sure to select only the "Signatures update" option and not the Product Update one, as that will replace the file you renamed in Safemode;

- open BitDefender GUI;

- click on 'Settings';

- go to 'Update';

- click on 'Home';

- Press the 'F8' key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load; you need to press 'F8' until you will be displayed a text menu;

Please let me know if renaming any of the two files mentioned above is resolving the issue you encounter.

Kind regards,

• I was a bit premature... after rebooting ... Bitdefender blocked Slingplayer again.. I changed the dll name again after a few reboots back to blocking.

So this is not a solution.. Bitdefender is there a long term fix else I would like a refund. Thanks

Hello,

6. Browse to:

NOTE:

[howto rename avc3.sys]

4. Browse to:

- open BitDefender GUI;

- click on 'Settings';

- go to 'Update';

- click on 'Home';

Kind regards,

• Hello,

BitDefender blocked it again because the renamed file was restored when BitDefender updated. Regardless, that was what I need in order to start working on the fix. The resolution will come via the Automatic Update module of BitDefender. Regarding the disclaimer is not needed as we resolve the compatibility issues with other software. Furthermore note that I have escalated the issue for resolution to the Dev. Team. As soon as the fix will be released I will post in the 'Updates' forum category under 'Product updates' pinned topic.

In order to apply the workaround make sure that you set the BitDefender updates on Prompt and you do not install any product updates until I don't announce the fix release.

If you need any further info feel free to contact us anytime!

Regards,

• Daniel,

You have been great, but as I have let BitDefender known about this issue since early August and have heard practically nothing from them in terms of how to fix it -- even though they swear it is on a "priority issue list"

So I have uninstalled BitDefender and will wait to hear from you. In the meantime, can you give me an idea of when it will be fixed?

Thanks,

Lou

Hello,

BitDefender blocked it again because the renamed file was restored when BitDefender updated. Regardless, that was what I need in order to start working on the fix. The resolution will come via the Automatic Update module of BitDefender. Regarding the disclaimer is not needed as we resolve the compatibility issues with other software. Furthermore note that I have escalated the issue for resolution to the Dev. Team. As soon as the fix will be released I will post in the 'Updates' forum category under 'Product updates' pinned topic.

In order to apply the workaround make sure that you set the BitDefender updates on Prompt and you do not install any product updates until I don't announce the fix release.

Regards,

• Danny,

Can you let me know when you expect a fix, as I need to make a decision whether to wait or petition BitDefender for a refund.

Thanks

Lou

I was a bit premature... after rebooting ... Bitdefender blocked Slingplayer again.. I changed the dll name again after a few reboots back to blocking.

So this is not a solution.. Bitdefender is there a long term fix else I would like a refund. Thanks

• Hi Dany,

I am the user that posted the issue with Slingbox functionality initially. I was on vacation and didn't had the time to try the renaming of the file. I just saw all the postings in this forum and I'm glad to know about this workaround. However, I agree with all other postings. Bitdefender should add the disclaimer before more users buy the product without knowing this issue. Also Bitdefender should give a clear date on the resolution and permanent fix. Could you please let us know which is the target date for the permanent fix to be included in the auto-update?

Unless, I'm told the opposite, I assume that for all customers that bought Bitdefender 2012 before knowing this issue, the 30 days limit for a full refund will be extended after the permanent fix is in place. Please clarify all these topics. I don't know how long it might take the DEV team to develop the fix and test it, however, I hope Bitdefender don't expect the customers to wait for months. If the target date is too far, and the 30 days refund policy still applies, please let us know so we can process the claim asap.

Thanks in advance for your fast response.

Danny,

Can you let me know when you expect a fix, as I need to make a decision whether to wait or petition BitDefender for a refund.

Thanks

Lou

• I have tried with BitDefender to get a refund, explaining that it took them more than 30 days to respond to my issues in regards to SlingPlayer so how can I be expected to have only 30 days to review the product when it takes them more than 30 days to come back with an answer acknowledging that BitDefender is the problem.

So long story short no refund and no answer on when they will fix the problem. I plan to escalate this to the office of fair trading in the UK.

Lou

Hi Dany,

I am the user that posted the issue with Slingbox functionality initially. I was on vacation and didn't had the time to try the renaming of the file. I just saw all the postings in this forum and I'm glad to know about this workaround. However, I agree with all other postings. Bitdefender should add the disclaimer before more users buy the product without knowing this issue. Also Bitdefender should give a clear date on the resolution and permanent fix. Could you please let us know which is the target date for the permanent fix to be included in the auto-update?

Unless, I'm told the opposite, I assume that for all customers that bought Bitdefender 2012 before knowing this issue, the 30 days limit for a full refund will be extended after the permanent fix is in place. Please clarify all these topics. I don't know how long it might take the DEV team to develop the fix and test it, however, I hope Bitdefender don't expect the customers to wait for months. If the target date is too far, and the 30 days refund policy still applies, please let us know so we can process the claim asap.

• Actutally here is the correct link:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentciti...vices/DG_194650

It is very obvious to be BitDefender is in violation of this.

Lou

I have tried with BitDefender to get a refund, explaining that it took them more than 30 days to respond to my issues in regards to SlingPlayer so how can I be expected to have only 30 days to review the product when it takes them more than 30 days to come back with an answer acknowledging that BitDefender is the problem.

So long story short no refund and no answer on when they will fix the problem. I plan to escalate this to the office of fair trading in the UK.

Lou

• Hi Dany,

Hello,

Regards,

• Danny, please call me to the phone I sent you via PM. I need to know if this issue really has a permanent fix or not. I cannot be spending time on this. I travel a lot and really don't have time for this. As you mentioned in one of your previous posts, the solution would be delivered through the update functionality. Do you know when this will happen?

Hi Dany,

• Hello,

What is the status of this fix? I have not seen any activity concerning this issue for the past two week.

Thanks!

• Hello,

I have a permanent fix for the issue however we need to finish conducting the tests on it before releasing it into the void. I have tried to call you Firerocket today for the past 2 hours (at the phone number you provided me with) however the line is always busy. Tried calling you using both a landline and a mobile phone so you were either talking for the past 2 hours or you have a problem with your phone line.

Any of you encountering this issue and would like to help me testing the permanent fix we have? If so please install TeamViewer ( http://www.Teamviewer.com ) and send me the ID and password via PM. Include a phone number and a convenient time when we can reach you.

• Sorry Dany, like I mentioned in other communications, I'm a very busy person and I travel constantly. I work in IT, and I do not have the time to participate in testing other software for other company and for free. I have already switched to another anti-virus (Kaspersky PURE) and it works like a charm.

Thanks anyway for your help. Unfortunately, BD did the release of BD2012 too soon and with not enough testing. This is probably a bad release management decision which is probably not your fault. I can see that you have been trying hard to cover all kinds of issues with BD2012 in the forum. Thanks for your help and best of luck.

Hello,

I have a permanent fix for the issue however we need to finish conducting the tests on it before releasing it into the void. I have tried to call you Firerocket today for the past 2 hours (at the phone number you provided me with) however the line is always busy. Tried calling you using both a landline and a mobile phone so you were either talking for the past 2 hours or you have a problem with your phone line.

Any of you encountering this issue and would like to help me testing the permanent fix we have? If so please install TeamViewer ( http://www.Teamviewer.com ) and send me the ID and password via PM. Include a phone number and a convenient time when we can reach you.

• rootkit
    Options

Hi firerocket

We apologize for any negative experience you have encountered with our products or our support. Your feedback is appreciated, and will be directed to the appropriate team for review, to enable us to improve our support and services.

Thank you.

• Hello,

I have a permanent fix for the issue however we need to finish conducting the tests on it before releasing it into the void.

Hello DanyDan,

I have not checked on this issue lately and wanted to know how the testing went. I am open for testing if that is still an option.

Thanks!

• rootkit
    Options

Hello

The issue has been fixed, but the update was not released yet.

It will be released soon.

Thank you for your patience.

• monymony
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Hello

The issue has been fixed, but the update was not released yet.

It will be released soon.

Thank you for your patience.

Hi Cristi,

Can you define "soon"? Are we talking days or weeks?

Thanks!

• rootkit
    Options

Welcome back

I can't provide you an ETA for now. Usually we deliver 1 or 2 product updates per month.

As soon as I have fresh information, I will post here.

Thank you for your understanding. Take care.

• Welcome back

I can't provide you an ETA for now. Usually we deliver 1 or 2 product updates per month.

As soon as I have fresh information, I will post here.

Thank you for your understanding. Take care.

I just bought and installed Bit Defender Antivirus 2012 and installed it on three computers. All computers I installed this on are no longer able to access my Slingbox. To my huge disappointment I found this forum to realize that this issue has been known for many months and still remains unresolved.

You say it has been fixed. So when is it coming? If the fix is not released with in the next week or two I will uninstall the program and demand full credit.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hello

The update is scheduled at the end of the month. This issue should be solved then. No user intervention is required.

Thank you.

• rootkit
    Options

Hi

The current situation should be fixed after the current product update.

Please update and let me know if you still need assistance.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=28172

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=28647

Take care.

• Confirmed... Slingbox is now working for me.

Hi

The current situation should be fixed after the current product update.

Please update and let me know if you still need assistance.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=28172

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=28647

Take care.

• rootkit
    Options

Hello :)

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Have a great day.

This discussion has been closed.