Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Scans Always Start At 8:15am Even Though Set To 8:00pm

Options

I have a strange problem.

I am using Bit Defender Total Security 2011.

I have a virus scan scheduled to run at 20:00:00 daily.

However the scan starts every day at or about 08:15 in the morning.

This means I have to stop the scan so I can work and then run it manually in the evening.

Is there a fix for this?

Comments

• I would first recommend trying to do a Repair of BD. From the Windows Start menu, navigate to the BD Program folder, select Repair or Remove and follow the on-screen instructions for a Repair. NOTE: this will return all option settings to factory defaults. Be sure to note all changes you have made to the BD settings so that you can manually add them back.

Let us know if this resolves your problem.

Regards,

• Dave, did you use "Turn Game Mode On" at some stage?

I reported the same problem months ago and hoped BD 2012 would fix it, but I have been forced back to BD 2011 and would really like to get this fixed on BD 2011.

After I reinstalled BDAV 2011, I didn't have any problem with the schedule for a couple of days, then the schedule became corrupted again, starting at the same time every day, but not at the scheduled time.

The only thing I did in BDAV was use the "Turn Game Mode On" option (and off) so I wonder if it's the culprit.

I just turned it On again today at 10:10AM, I'll see if it starts a scan tomorrow at the wrong time.

• I think I managed to identify the steps to repro for this bug:

I enabled the game mode on BDAV 2011 at 10:10AM and disabled it at 11:14AM.

The next daily scan did not run at 2:00AM as scheduled, but at 11:14AM.

That is too much of a coincidence, so there must be something wrong with the game mode.

• Morning Chimel, I'm not aware of having used game mode, but I'll give it a try. I just turned game mode on and off. Will see if it starts at this time tomorrow.

I could do a factory restore, but am intrigued why this is happening.

• Morning Chimel, I'm not aware of having used game mode, but I'll give it a try. I just turned game mode on and off. Will see if it starts at this time tomorrow.

I could do a factory restore, but am intrigued why this is happening.

Hi there, this is just another of BD epic failures, I have had tech support completely restore my software, it goes good for maybe two days max after the new software but then goes back to failing, so all you'll do by repairing, then removing and replacing your software as tech support will have you do is waste your time and theirs and you'll be no further ahead.

• @Dangermouse I agree restoring or uninstalling/reinstalling the software will lead to the same schedule corruption in days, but if we can pinpoint the exact cause, like the game mode, then the Bitdefender team can more easily investigate and fix this issue definitely.

I don't know how much they support 2011 now that v. 2012 is out, it would be great if a Bitdefender support employee could confirm if there is a chance to get this fixed, depending on Dave's findings.

I barely use games or the game mode, so I can't really tell since when the schedule corruption is happening, but I don't think I experienced the problem when I first installed BDAV 2011 and for some time after. It might be a later update that introduced the bug.

• The schedule got corrupted again, this time without using the Game mode at all.

It was fine and on schedule at 2AM for the 10 days since I reinstalled (it takes about 1.5 hours to run) but I shut the computer down overnight 2 days ago.

When I restarted it the next morning, the scan that couldn't run at 2AM started running immediately at 9:46AM, which is a bug in itself.

I paused it for about 30 minutes and let it resume when I was less busy.

The log for this scan says it ended on "Thursday, September 29, 2011 11:43:30 AM" (in English) and that the task schedule is "periodically, scheduled for:jeudi 29 septembre 2011 18:43:30" (in French???) which is wrong because 1) Bitdefender says the scan is still scheduled every day at 2AM, and 2) The next day, without shutting down the computer overnight, the actual scan did not start at 2AM or 6:43PM but at 9:46AM, which is the exact same time it started yesterday.

I'll check if the Game mode thing also repros systematically, but it would be great to know if there is a chance to get this fixed in BDAV 2011 or if all bug maintenance for this product is abandoned now that v. 2012 is out.

• Well I switched back to v. 2012 because the v. 2011 schedule screwed up again, so I can't repro if the Game mode causes this bug systematically, but there are other known causes, such as shutting down the computer overnight and interrupting manually the running scan the next morning, or maybe just one of these is even enough to cause the bug.

There's still 2 major bugs in v. 2012 that make life hard, like the bitdefender toolbar and being forced to run manual scans every 8 days, and I managed to get rid of a third by disabling automatic game mode, but hopefully these will get fixed soon.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options

@ Hi Boora

Thank you for your feedback.

@ Hi Chimel

We will continue the discussion over the 2012 area.

Thank you.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showforum=228

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=226&id=42

This discussion has been closed.