Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Newbe Needs Help

I had put a couple File Lockers with Pass Word protection on an external HD.

I removed everything that was in them but am concerned that the formated space will still be un-usable or not seen on the external HD.

Is there something special I have to do, or just delete them?

Is there a tutorial for this? I couldn't find one.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• csalgau
    csalgau ✭✭
    edited September 2011

I believe removing a File Vault(I'm imagining this is what you're inquiring about) should release the used space immediately, without the need to format the drive. Have you experience a specific case in which you are confident data is still used by a deleted vault? Are you certain that there was actually data stored in the vault, and the space was not released?

Update: Upon creating a File Vault you are asked to place it somewhere on your disk. Deleting this file is sufficient to removing the used space from your drive. Please ensure that you are no longer using the vault and that no important files are left inside before removing it. Please see your user manual for an brief explanation on page 73. This applies to our 2009 range of products.

• I believe removing a File Vault(I'm imagining this is what you're inquiring about) should release the used space immediately, without the need to format the drive. Have you experience a specific case in which you are confident data is still used by a deleted vault? Are you certain that there was actually data stored in the vault, and the space was not released?

Update: Upon creating a File Vault you are asked to place it somewhere on your disk. Deleting this file is sufficient to removing the used space from your drive. Please ensure that you are no longer using the vault and that no important files are left inside before removing it. Please see your user manual for an brief explanation on page 73. This applies to our 2009 range of products.

********************************************************************************

I deleted the data that was in the vaults. I just wanted to be sure that the space would be recognised as free once I deleted the vault. I thought there maybe a need to do something else to accomplish this, such as formatting the space again etc...

I will watch the Drive space and see if it adds it back to it after deletinf the vaults. I will fill you in on what happens.

Thanks

• ********************************************************************************

I deleted the data that was in the vaults. I just wanted to be sure that the space would be recognised as free once I deleted the vault. I thought there maybe a need to do something else to accomplish this, such as formatting the space again etc...

I will watch the Drive space and see if it adds it back to it after deletinf the vaults. I will fill you in on what happens.

Thanks

what happens if you decide not to renew BD?

thanks

• A colleague will have to confirm this.

I believe Vaults can be mounted by right clicking on them, and this should be available even after your product expires, but should only be used as a rescue mode, for extraction purposes, as this effectively means you are using the product without a license.

Should you decide to stop using Bitdefender, or switch to an edition that does not feature File Vaults, you will be unable to access stored files. Vaults should be usable again after you reinstall/upgrade back.

• Thank you very much for your time. I apologise it took me so long to get back.

I deleted all the files in the vaults. BD is//was on a different Hard Dr. That has crashed. The vaults them self's are on a externeal Dr.

So when I look at them from another HD they are of no use. Just a blank icon (vault2.bvd)

To help:

hard drive #1 had XP with BD 2009.

hard drive #2 has W7 on it, no BD.

hard drive #3 is a external drive with the vaults on it.

XP hard drive crashed, with the program Bit Defender on it. W7 can not acess the vaults. Which have no data in them.

Have you experience a specific case in which you are confident data is still used by a deleted vault? no (well, the data inside the vault was deleted, not the vault itself. Which is the concern- will the space go back to the HD?)

Are you certain that there was actually data stored in the vault, and the space was not released? yes/no (theoriticaly, the vaults are still there. They are like virtual vaults :). I never deleted the vaults and W7 just sees them as it always has; Just a blank icon (vault2.bvd). Weather there is anything in them doesn't matter to W7.

I have a few of these vaults on the external HD. I just got side tracked so it was on the back burner. Maybe some of this info will help you in the future with somethig.

As soon as I DEL a vault or two I will let you know if I got the space back.