Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[resolved] On/off Button Available While Parental Control Is On

Hi

I installed the Parental Control for teenagers, but they cracked it in less than a day ! (Win 7 - Internet explorer). Here are some questions :

1/

When a blocked site is not allowed, the BD banner includes an ON/OFF button on the right of the screen. It is sometimes disabled and sometimes enabled, and when reapeatedly clicked, it ends up by allowing access ! After this, the Parental Control is off and everything is allowed.

Is there something I did not do well ? This "feature" just makes the parental control useless...

2/

In addition, I discovered that when I add a site in the blacklist, it is still allowed when they directly access a sub-page (I block www.site.ext, this page is blocked but not www.access.site.ext). Can I use wildcards to avoid this ? (I did not see anything about wildcards in the user manuel) - or is there another way to achieve the blocking ?

Is the use of wildcards available also via the remote web interface ?

3/

In the Internet interface, there is a field to block a site (or a contact), but there is no field or button to allow a site (or a contact). Did I miss something ? I think that that would be usefull.

4/

about the remote web interface : the user manual indicates a 10mn delay to have the update uploaded on the target PC. Is there a way to have this update done quicker ? I tried to update the signature database of the target PC, hoping that the parental control would be polled, but I did not seem to work.

Thanks for your help - Point 1/ seems to be the most important to me.

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hi Pat07

First off all, thank you for your feedback.

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Now, to answer to your questions:

1. The development team is working to fix this issue. The update will be delivered automatically without user interaction. Thank you.

2. We provide rules for subdomains too. Just enter *.website.ext or website.com/* to block all the subdomains and pages.

3. In the web console, you can only block access to websites. You can set up allow rules in the product.

4. The web console has some delay because your rules need to be synchronized on all the our servers.

Have a nice day.

• mytestsql@yahoo.com
    edited December 2011
    Hi Pat07

First off all, thank you for your feedback.

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Now, to answer to your questions:

1. The development team is working to fix this issue. The update will be delivered automatically without user interaction. Thank you.

2. We provide rules for subdomains too. Just enter *.website.ext or website.com/* to block all the subdomains and pages.

3. In the web console, you can only block access to websites. You can set up allow rules in the product.

4. The web console has some delay because your rules need to be synchronized on all the our servers.

Have a nice day.

I have this same issue and my updates is recent, so I know it has not been correct, I am wondering how long would this take to correct this issue. I certainly a bad feature since after it blocked the website, my kids can just click on the ON/OFF button and they are able to access the BAD sites.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011

Hi :)

The update for TrafficLight(the toolbar from the browser) is scheduled to be released at the end of this month.

The current situation should be fixed by then. Thank you.

• Hi :)

The update for TrafficLight(the toolbar from the browser) is scheduled to be released at the end of this month.

The current situation should be fixed by then. Thank you.

I found it interesting that even after hiding the toolbar, that it shows up when a webpage is blocked. The ON/OFF button only has be be pushed once and the screen refreshed for the denied content to show.

The option to display the toolbar with the ON/OFF button requires zero level authentication to enable under Privacy Control option. In fact there are several control factors that require zero level authentication to change in the settings.

Another interesting item of note is that the email notification is oblivious to any attempts to access denied content and does not notify the intended user.

The subdomain rule is also a failure, as several rules and attempts to block Google as a test failed without once successfully blocking the website.

Needless to say I am not even going to bother testing the other Parental Control functions available, with the amount of flaws already found with easy to access denied content.

The Firewall Manager no longer has application explicit deny as an option to ask the user for permission and create a rule based the user's preferences.

I still have several licenses of Internet Security 2011. I will run some Parental Control test, and if proven successful, I may revert back to Internet Security 2011 even with the 2012 group licenses recently purchased.

Thank you for your feedback.

Please note that you can use those licenses on Bitdefender 2011 because they are compatible.

Regarding that subdomain, does that website use SSL encryption?

Thank you.

• Hello,

I just purchased Bit Defender Total Security yesterday, and unfortunately I'm seeing the same issue.

I purchased the Norton 360 suite and returned it shortly thereafter due to the slowdown on my PC it caused and the overall user experience lacking. So far this AV program seems to be much better; but if bypassing Parental Controls is as simple as my child clicking the 'On/Off' button, I need to return this software and find a different AV product and monitoring utility that works.

Is there an option to restrict the toolbar at the top for a user with Parental Controls turned on? If not, when can we expect an update on this? I'm concerned that there was already a post on it stating that one would occur that hasn't and that there hasn't been a response to this thread in 12 days.

• Hi Etherial

Welcome to our forums.

This issue has been reported to our developers and the update is in pending(by this I mean that it should be available via Automatic Updates when the iteration 15.0.36 is released, now in the market is 15.0.35).

I can not provide you an ETA, but hopefully this will be released in January 2012 in the next product update.

Thank you for your time. Happy New Year!

• Hi Etherial

Welcome to our forums.

This issue has been reported to our developers and the update is in pending(by this I mean that it should be available via Automatic Updates when the iteration 15.0.36 is released, now in the market is 15.0.35).

I can not provide you an ETA, but hopefully this will be released in January 2012 in the next product update.

Thank you for your time. Happy New Year!

Hi Christian,

Thank you for the quick response. I'm glad to see you guys are aware and will be addressing the problem on your next release cycle. Minus this issue, the AV package has definitely met my expectations so far, and I look forward to the update. Happy New Year!

• The problem has been known for sometime. I was able to get the denied access list to work, but it does not work on the fly. You have to exit your browser and make changes to the Web Control filter for it to take effect.

I have reverted back to Bitdefender 2011, and the Parental Control Settings work! Those of you wanting an immediate solution should install the version to your OS accordingly. There is no Tool Bar for the kids to disable the rule. Your 2012 Bitdefender key should work in 2011.

I have found it better to apply a complete uninstall of the 2012 before installing 2011.

Here is the link for the Bitdefender uninstall tool:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-...fender-333.html

Here is the link for Bitdefender 2011:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=20566

2011 seems to work fairly well. If you have high disk drive or cpu usage, try disabling auto scan function in the antivirus portion of the software. This seems to be an issue in both versions where it just wants to scan when it thinks you're not there (happens a lot during movies!!!).

I have an Intel Quad 4.0 Ghz cpu with 8 GB of RAM running on a Raid 10 (4x 32MB Cache 7200 RPM drives), and my system can still take a hit from the auto scan.

I probably will not be going back to 2012 even if they fix the issue and will wait to see if 2013 is any better.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Welcome back

I will let you know when this is fixed and the update is uploaded on our servers.

Take care.

• Got to love teenagers 'eh :)

I got the same problem and would really love to see some advancement on this issue.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012

Hi Susan

You will see some movement. I will get back to you when I have new information(I believe on Monday).

Thank you for understanding. Take care. :)

• The problem has been known for sometime. I was able to get the denied access list to work, but it does not work on the fly. You have to exit your browser and make changes to the Web Control filter for it to take effect.

I have reverted back to Bitdefender 2011, and the Parental Control Settings work! Those of you wanting an immediate solution should install the version to your OS accordingly. There is no Tool Bar for the kids to disable the rule. Your 2012 Bitdefender key should work in 2011.

I have found it better to apply a complete uninstall of the 2012 before installing 2011.

Here is the link for the Bitdefender uninstall tool:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-...fender-333.html

Here is the link for Bitdefender 2011:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=20566

2011 seems to work fairly well. If you have high disk drive or cpu usage, try disabling auto scan function in the antivirus portion of the software. This seems to be an issue in both versions where it just wants to scan when it thinks you're not there (happens a lot during movies!!!).

I have an Intel Quad 4.0 Ghz cpu with 8 GB of RAM running on a Raid 10 (4x 32MB Cache 7200 RPM drives), and my system can still take a hit from the auto scan.

I probably will not be going back to 2012 even if they fix the issue and will wait to see if 2013 is any better.

Thanks for the great info Glitch. I think I'll keep 2012 for now, or at least until the next iteration is released (assuming it happens this month and fixes the issue). If it doesn't, I'll try your suggestion of using the previous version.

Got to love teenagers 'eh :)

Well said. ;)

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hi Etherial

Thank you for understand this.

I will post here when the update will be released.

Take care.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello everyone

A product update will be released these days and a fix for this issue is scheduled in it.

I will post here when the update is uploaded on our servers.

Thank you for your patience.

• Hello everyone

A product update will be released these days and a fix for this issue is scheduled in it.

I will post here when the update is uploaded on our servers.

Thank you for your patience.

Has the on/off switch been repaired yet? Thank you for the information on blocking sub-pages, I didn't even think of those.

Kids these days seem quicker on the take than the parents are. :mellow:

The update was released for UK and RO markets. It will be released soon(these days) for US, DE, FR and other languages.

Thank you.

• Ah yes I've been wondering some of the same things myself since I purchased this product.

Thanks for clearing it up for me in this thread.

I see there are hundreds of other helpful threads too.

Thanks!

• Hello :)

Since the actual issue was revolved via Automatic Updates, I declare this topic closed.

Please update the product to the latest build:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=32143

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.