Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Spam Folder Missing

Options

I have recently installed BD and I am using Outlook 2007.

There is a spam toolbar but no spam folder attached to 'deleted items' although this option is ticked in settings.

Does this mean that any detected spam will go straight to 'deleted items'?

Is there any way I can test my spam filter?

Comments

• Cancel my query I just got a spam email!

Now I know how it works - brilliantly :)

• rootkit
    Options

Hi pineman

Thank you for you feedback.

You can also check our user guide available here:

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/de...serguide_en.pdf

If you need assistance on this, I am here for you.

Take care.

• Edward49
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hi i am a new user of bitdefender total security 2012 and i am using outlook 2010, with 4 different email accounts 1 web mail and 3 hotmail accounts. So my question is where does Bitdefender place the Spam messages for each account as i can not see any extra spam folders in outlook, just the default outlook junk mail and thats where outlook stores what it thinks is junk mail, so where is the Bitdefender placing the spam please

Regards

• When you actually get spam a new folder called SPAM containing it is created attached to 'deleted items'. Once you have dealt with that spam the folder disappears.

• H Pineman,

Thanks for the reply i think i am doing something wrong, i use outlook 2010 and i have set it up to check my emails on hotmail.

I understand what you mean about a spam folder appering in the deleted item when spam arrives, so i added one of my hotmail accounts to the Spammers section in bitdefender then sent an email form the account i had told bitdefender was a spammer. When the email arrived it just went straight into the inbox. So how do i test to see if the span section is working please

• So how do i test to see if the span section is working please

Sorry can't help with that. Maybe someone else knows the answer?

• Edward49
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hi guys just one more point i have been looking at a bitdefender total security user guide on line and it says.

(The first time you run your mail client after you have installed BitDefender, a wizard will appear helping you to configure the Friends list and the Spammers list and to train the Bayesian filter in order to increase the efficiency of the Antispam filters. Note The wizard can also be launched any time you want by clicking the Wizard button from the Antispam toolbar).

I can see the antispam toolbar in outlook but any email address i add as spam still ends up in the inbox as normal

• rootkit
    Options

Hi guys :)

So how do i test to see if the span section is working please

Sorry can't help with that. Maybe someone else knows the answer?

I could answer to this question.

In order to test the antispam filter, please use another PC to send an email or a web client. Create a new email with any subject and include in the body the following text:

XJS*C4JDBQADN1.NSBN3*2IDNEN*GTUBE-STANDARD-ANTI-UBE-TEST-EMAIL*C.34X

This is GTUBE-the Generic Test for Unsolicited Bulk Email.

Harmless test code that triggers the Antispam filter, very similar to the EICAR test.

You have all the details about these here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTUBE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EICAR

Thank you. Happy Holidays!

• Hi Christian

In order to test the antispam filter, please use another PC to send an email or a web client. Create a new email with any subject and include in the body the following text:

I did as you requested and sent an email from a differant computer with the text XJS*C4JDBQADN1.NSBN3*2IDNEN*GTUBE-STANDARD-ANTI-UBE-TEST-EMAIL*C.34X in the body of the email.

The email account i sent it from was entered into bitdefender spammers list, but when the email arrived onto my computer bitdefender did nothing but outlook moved it into the junk folder.

So why did bitdefender not detect it as spam but outlook did.

Am i correct in thinking if i enter an email into bit defender spammers list it should then treat all emails from that address as spam, because if thats right it does not work.

• Ps to the above post i have done the same with the test spam email in thunberbird and it is the same as outlook, bitdefender does no mark it as spam

I am getting more and more disapointed with bitdefender as the days go by,

• rootkit
    Options

Welcome back

In the current situation, please check the settings from your email client and deactivate all the security filters. The issue goes like this: the email client is scanning the email before Bitdefender can do and the action is taken by the email client and not our product.

That's why that email is not flagged by our product.

Thank you. Take care.

• Edward49
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hi Christian

Thank you for your advice and i understand what you mean when you say (The issue goes like this: the email client is scanning the email before Bitdefender can do and the action is taken by the email client and not our product).

I understand that but when i have placed several email adresses in bitdefender in the spammers list. but emails from these adresses that i have added to the spammers list still go straight in the inbox. They are not blocked by outlook 2010 because it thinks they are genuine emails but bitdefender should stop them as they are in the spammers list but this does not happen, so why do i need to use bitdefender at all i may as well just let outlook take care of the spam emails, what is the point of having bitdefender looking for spam.

• rootkit
    Options

Welcome back :)

In the current situation let's try something.

In the ideal scenario:

In Microsoft Outlook, spam messages are moved to a Spam folder, located in the Deleted Items folder. The Spam folder is created during the installation of Bitdefender.

In your case, please manually create that folder under Deleted Items. Close your email client, reboot your machine and let me know if spam messages are moved correctly.

Thank you. Take care.

• Edward49
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hi Christian.

Please let me explain my situation a little better.

First let me tell you I can get Bitdefender to add a Spam folder in the deleted item folder in outlook 2010.

I can do this by selecting an email from the inbox in outlook (Highlight it) in outlook, then go to the Bitdefender toolbar in outlook and select the (Is Spam option) then Bitdefender creates the spam folder inside the deleted items folder and moves the highlighted email into the spam folder , which I believe is the correct thing to do. So I have no problem there.

The problem I don’t seem to be able to solve if I have several emails address in the spammers list in Bitdefender I would expect when I receive an email from one of the people I have in Bitdefender’s spammers list I would expect that email to go straight into the spam folder that Bitdefender created inside the deleted items folder in Outlook, but this is just not happening, The only way I can get Bitdefender to send emails to the Spam folder is to select the email from the inbox and then select (Is Spam) in Bitdefender’s tool bar and then it is moved to the spam folder, I was hoping this would be done automatically by Bitdefender.

So I don’t see the point in adding email address to the spammers list as the emails from these people just go straight into the inbox.

Regards and may I wish you a happy new year.

;)

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hi :)

I have a question for you. The email server is IMAP?

Could you please post here the settings made in your email client? (server, port, connection type, etc).

Also, those emails have DomainKey signature?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DomainKeys_Identified_Mail

Thank you.

• Hi thanks for the repley but i know little about computers and i dont iknow the answer to your questions, so i quess i will just have to let outlook take care of the spam.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi :)

Thank you for your feedback.

Let me know if you need something else or you have other questions.

Take care.