Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bug: Doing Remove Rule Duplicates All Rules

Options

Hi -

Bit of a bug here.

I was testing out how Data Protection worked in Privacy Control in Bit Defender Total Home Security 2012.

I added a 3 rules. One each of these types: phone number, e-mail, and address. It is pretty simple and I though I did everything correctly.

Later I realized I was getting too many blocking messages logged on the email address. (And it was apparently just quietly blocking, not asking for permission, not giving warnings at the time, just logging messages about blocking, which doesn't seem useful, but is something to investigate later.)

So I wanted to remove the rules.

I go back to Privacy Control; Data Protection, select the first rule, and click the Remove button. It duplicated all 3 rules.

It does this if I try to remove any of the 3 rules. Select a rule, click the Remove button, and the rules are all duplicated. So now I've got around 15 sets of these 3 rules.

So the bypass is to turn Data Protection off using the slide switch at the top of the Data Protection page. But it is a bypass not a fix, it just disables the feature totally, which isn't what I want.

I don't know how this got through testing. The only "odd thing" is because I don't know why rule name and rule description would be different, and because they are both mandatory, in each rule they are the same, and maybe that wasn't a test case: Phone, e-mail Keith, and Street address.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with all the standard Microsoft Update updates.

The Bitdefender installation is a few days old.

The McAfee AV that was on here before got the Add/Remove Programs and then the McAfee MRCP removal tool.

Thanks.

Comments

• rootkit
    Options

Hi :)

Thank you for your feedback.

In order to investigate the current situation, we need some logs from your machine.

Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Thank you. Happy Holidays!

• I can't recreate it now. It appears the rules have been duplicated so many times that it is freezing Bitdefender Control Center.

So I tried to use SupportTool to document the freezing.

However, while the SupportTool while support tool does eventually finish, it does not put a file on my desktop.

Maybe the rules in Bitdefender > Privacy > Data Protection are preventing it? I don't know.

• rootkit
    Options

Welcome back.

Could you please run it in Safe Mode?

Thank you. Take care.

• Hi Christian -

PM sent with links to the 3 Bitdefender Tool zip dump files. They're just over 3 MB, so over the 2 MB limit we get for PM attachments.

Three problems now:

1. Trying to delete a Bitdefender > Privacy > Data Protection rule on a regular (non-admin) user id causes all the Data Protection rules to be rules to be duplicated.

2. Bitdefender began to consistently freeze, presumably because there are too many data protection rules. Turning off Data Protection stops the freezes (although it is tricky to get done before it freezes).

3. The Data Protection rules do not appear in the Admin ID, even though I believe the rules were set up to be global.

- Keith

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Keith

We are currently trying to investigate these issues, I will get back to with an answer.

Thank you for your time.