Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bit Defender Total Security Beta 2012 Uninstall - Poweroff Error

Options

Dear Team,

I had total security 2012 beta installed on my computer and it was running fine.

The system was clean and virus free if I were to trust the scanning results of the AV.

I tried to uninstall bitdefender and i got an error, i restarted the computer and my computer would only start in safe mode.

When I started in safe mode after max 5 minutes the fan would heat up a lot and power off the computer.

This symptom was not present before trying to uninstall bitdefender.

Therefore I formated c: and tried to reinstall the windows program but not it powers off as well.

When I start the computer with the bitdefender rescue cd on usb stick it runs very well for an hour without powering off.

i tried to fixmbr and fixboot from windows recovery cd but nothing.

What can I do to make it run on windows and reinstall bitdefender with a new license non-beta since just uninstalling the beta came with all these problems?

thanks for your help

PS. I checked the fans inside the laptop (acer aspire) and there was not lot of dust in there ...

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hi Sorin :)

Welcome to our forums.

It could be a hardware related issue.

If you are able to boot in Windows, please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Thank you.

• Sorin_Coder
    edited January 2012
    Options

When I run the computer in bitdefender rescue cd (which i installed on usb) the computer stays on for even 3 hours. It can't connect to the internet via wireless it seems though to update itself, but it does scan everything and sais the computer is fine, no threats on drive c (bootable drive).

When i boot in windows setup mode it powers off after maximum 5-7 minutes.

Before I had total security 2012 beta I had this problem as well. Bitdefender stopped it from happening, now that bitdefender is out, the problem has come back.

How can it be a hardware failure if it runs smoothly on linux (bitdef rescue cd)?

I can't run the program you suggested me to run because i have no operating system on drive c at the moment. I am trying to install windows xp but it powers off before it can fully install it :(.

help :).

PS. Before I formatted c: I did find a virus which bitdefender on linux could not clean called exploit.pdf-js.gen in file rjis3.pdf. disinfection failed though. that's all. but now that i formatted could it still be the source of my power off problem or does the mis-instalation of bitdefender have to do something with it?

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    When i boot in windows setup mode it powers off after maximum 5-7 minutes.

Before I had total security 2012 beta I had this problem as well.

Welcome back Sorin.

You've mentioned that the issue was occurring before you've had Bitdefender installed.

The machine, is it a desktop or a laptop?

Have you checked the options from BIOS? Have you tried to reset them to default?

Thank you.

• Hi Christian,

Yes I've tried resetting settings in BIOS to default. It didn't work.

I also ran Knoppix Adrianne, last version, just know for 2 hours... the problem disappeared.

The machine is An ACER Aspire 5520g laptop.

Thanks for the quick responses. Hope to solve it with your help!

The poweroff problem apperead when i got infected via a website with a trojan downloader... an scareware ... that wanted me to buy their app to use the computer... i couldn't eliminate it if it wasnt for bitdefender total security beta 2012...

if i started in safe mode back then it would poweroff... if i started normal where the virus, scareware could to it's think it let me run the computer...

and now the computer is doing the same thing as when it had the scareware but i formated drive c :( how can that happen?

Welcome back Sorin.

You've mentioned that the issue was occurring before you've had Bitdefender installed.

The machine, is it a desktop or a laptop?

Have you checked the options from BIOS? Have you tried to reset them to default?

Thank you.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello Sorin

When running a Linux Live Distro, the HDD is not used in this process. All things are loaded in the memory.

Since you mentioned that this issue was reproducing on the system before Bitdefender was installed on the machine, I recommend you to try fixing bad sectors using a Linux Live CD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_sector

http://www.ehow.com/how_7226154_fix-bad-sectors-linux.html

Take care.