Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Require Help With A Few Issues

Options

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some help with a couple of issues I had installing Bitdefender Total Security 2012 on a Windows 7 PC. I also installed the program on two other PCs (both Win XP) with no issues. I'll number my questions and requests so that they are easy to address.

I read on these forums of Bitdefender slowing down the boot up of some Windows 7 PCs, an issue which was supposedly fixed with some updates. I notice that this PC now boot_s up significantly slower than before, though it's not a major concern as the process takes maybe 1 minute (not the end of the world). But I feel it should be mentioned in the context of the other problems.

The main issue I had was after installation and updating. In the "Events" tab, there was a red box with a "2" inside. When checking the notifications it said the PC had to reboot. This is understandable of course after the first update. So I close down BD and reboot.

1. Tthe red box notice is still there and I cannot clear it. There are two buttons, "Delete" and "Mark as Read". Neither work. On the two XP computers they seem to work fine. I figure I should at least be able to delete the notifications.

2. After this, I went online to a known safe site. BD blocked access saying it was unsafe. When I clicked on the link that takes me to the BD website to view the report, it said the site was fine. BD continued to block access to the site for the next 20 minutes or so but then all of a sudden recognized it as safe and let me access the site from then on

3. Any ideas? Is this just a bad install and I should try installing again?

4. If I do a reinstall, will the program recognize that I am installing it onto a PC it was already registered to? I have three licenses and I've used all three, so I don't want to get into a situation where the program thinks I'm installing it onto a fourth PC.

Requests:

5. I can't remember for sure, but I believe the security software I used last year was able to do the install right off of the CD (without downloading files). This allowed me to be disconnected from the Internet while the installation took place. I think this is a good safety feature. With BD, it was downloading files and as my connection is only 5Mbps (tops) it took quite a while to complete the installation.

6. I was a little dismayed that BD made me uninstall Counterspy and Malwarebytes. The former I would have to uninstall anyways (as it has been discontinued, though still working yesterday) but the latter I wanted to keep. I have read on these forums that I can reinstall it, however I feel BD should be able to recognize what is a compatible security program and work around it. I run Malwarebytes Free, which is only the scanner (not always on protection).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some help with a couple of issues I had installing Bitdefender Total Security 2012 on a Windows 7 PC. I also installed the program on two other PCs (both Win XP) with no issues. I'll number my questions and requests so that they are easy to address.

I read on these forums of Bitdefender slowing down the boot up of some Windows 7 PCs, an issue which was supposedly fixed with some updates. I notice that this PC now boot_s up significantly slower than before, though it's not a major concern as the process takes maybe 1 minute (not the end of the world). But I feel it should be mentioned in the context of the other problems.

The main issue I had was after installation and updating. In the "Events" tab, there was a red box with a "2" inside. When checking the notifications it said the PC had to reboot. This is understandable of course after the first update. So I close down BD and reboot.

1. Tthe red box notice is still there and I cannot clear it. There are two buttons, "Delete" and "Mark as Read". Neither work. On the two XP computers they seem to work fine. I figure I should at least be able to delete the notifications.

2. After this, I went online to a known safe site. BD blocked access saying it was unsafe. When I clicked on the link that takes me to the BD website to view the report, it said the site was fine. BD continued to block access to the site for the next 20 minutes or so but then all of a sudden recognized it as safe and let me access the site from then on

3. Any ideas? Is this just a bad install and I should try installing again?

4. If I do a reinstall, will the program recognize that I am installing it onto a PC it was already registered to? I have three licenses and I've used all three, so I don't want to get into a situation where the program thinks I'm installing it onto a fourth PC.

Requests:

5. I can't remember for sure, but I believe the security software I used last year was able to do the install right off of the CD (without downloading files). This allowed me to be disconnected from the Internet while the installation took place. I think this is a good safety feature. With BD, it was downloading files and as my connection is only 5Mbps (tops) it took quite a while to complete the installation.

6. I was a little dismayed that BD made me uninstall Counterspy and Malwarebytes. The former I would have to uninstall anyways (as it has been discontinued, though still working yesterday) but the latter I wanted to keep. I have read on these forums that I can reinstall it, however I feel BD should be able to recognize what is a compatible security program and work around it. I run Malwarebytes Free, which is only the scanner (not always on protection).

Thanks in advance.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Dan

Welcome to our forums.

Now, let see what we can do bout your issue:

1. Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

2. Please provide me the link or the link to the rapport.

3. No, please check no.1.

4. No. That won't happen.

5. Our product can be installed from the backup DVD or using the full offline kits available here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=27870

6. Regarding other security solutions, please note that running multiple security solutions on the same PC may affect their proper functionality as they compete for access to the same system resources. Even if they are turned off, there are some active processes running in the

background.

That free version that you mentioned in your post has the same modules installed. The drivers are present is the system and they are loaded during startup. The only difference is that when you enter the code in the product you can actually access the options.

Thank you.

• Hi Christian,

Thanks, I appreciate it. I will get back to you in a few days. The Windows 7 PC is my father's and I can only stop by his place on weekends. Once I've got what you need I will PM you.

For number 2, if you want a link to the site that BD blocked, it's Canuck Audio Mart. The main page breaks the classifieds down into categories (speakers, amplifiers, etc.). I could get to the main page but I could not get into the various categories. For example, when I clicked on "Amplifiers" it blocked access. I'll try to get you more info if I can from BD's records.

Thanks again.

• PM with requested files and screenshots sent. Thanks!

• Think I've solved the problem. There are two users on that PC, one with admin rights and the other without. When I went to the one that has admin rights I was able to clear the events. Pretty sure I tried this before and it didn't work, but maybe I'm wrong on that. Bottom line is that it worked today.

Also, noticed that somehow the second user had parental controls on their profile, which I guess blocks Canuckaudiomart and OLG.ca (a lottery site run by the Ontario Government). These are safe sites, but I guess the thinking is that kids shouldn't be buying things or gambling online.

• rootkit
    Options

Hi Dan :)

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions or concerns.

Take care.