Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Can't Install Bd Av 2012 On Windows Xp..

Options
emdeec
edited January 2012 in Installation
WHY I've never purchased a BD product. A few years back I downloaded a trial of BD A/V and it was constantly having signature update problems. I came to the forum back then and noticed this was a prevalent problem.. so I uninstalled it and gave up.

Fast forward to today..

I had to do a clean (from ''bare metal'') install of Windows XP (32-bit Home and yes.. it's been totally updated including SP3) so I thought to maybe try something else besides the security suite Charter gives me (F-Secure). Did some research. and noticed that BD was deemed the best by several test groups. So I came and downloaded one of those stupid little ''before you REALLY download it'' executables. I fired up Revo Uninstaller Pro to monitor the install because I know how buggy BD can be. The installation began and downloaded in full according to the dialog box, then began installing. At 55% it stopped.. froze up everything but my mouse.. I COULD open task manager but then IT froze too.

Thinking it might be Revo I decided not to monitor it after a cold hard reboot. This time it got to 58% then froze. I came back here and got the uninstall tool as even though I had a generic shortcut icon on the desktop.. I knew it was only half installed. It ran fine but said it needed a reboot. After that the windows ''Install new hardware'' dialog kept popping up saying it was looking for drivers for ''BitDefender AVC HV'' and ''System'' so obviously.. the tool had not finished it's job. <sigh>..

So here I am.. with a HALF installed utility I can't seem to get rid of.. oh.. BTW.. did I mention I tried a 3rd time and it got to 60% and froze? I get no error messages either. Only a power button shutdown and fresh start cures the freeze. Of course.. now everytime I boot I get Windows searching for some non-existant drivers for some BD ''remnants''.

Such a shame you guys can make such a highly-praised but buggy product! But it's a good thing I just spent 4 hours on a fresh clean XP install because it looks like I'm going to have a repeat again tonight. Only two things installed so far were Revo and Adobe Reader.

I know what you're going to say.. but no.. I don't have the time and dedication to generate a log for you.. and I'm NOT going to let someone remotely pick over my PC! (See?.. I HAVE been reading this forum!) Apparently glitchy half-baked installs abound here as well.

So I'm off to another HD format, OS install and such. Soon as I'm back up and running I'm off to ESET's site. I don't want to get anywhere near this junk again.

Hi

Welcome yo our forums.

We apologize for any negative experience you have encountered with our products or our support. Your feedback is appreciated, and will be directed to the appropriate team for review, to enable us to improve our support and services.

Thank you for taking the time and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further details from us.

Take care.

Well you locked my last thread so I guess I'll just ''requote'' here. Against my better judgement, but due to ongoing ''stellar'' reviews.. I went ahead and purchased a license for the program tonight.. so now I'm a paying customer.

I held my breath as I downloaded and executed the tiny 800k executable from the purchase site (Downloadcrew). I might ALSO add that I went ahead after the last fiasco and had to do a totally new and clean install of Windows XP Home Edition (32-bit). This install had nothing on it in the way of any other ''security'' programs, and barely anything else. The CD begins at SP2.. but last night (before BD) I completely updated to SP3 and beyond, with ALL critical updates as of 1-9-12. For ALL intents and purposes.. it is a ''clean'' and updated install of XP again.

Once again.. the little app started it's thing. It did a quick system scan and passed. It then began downloading the entire install.. reached 100% (but actually starts an ''installing'' progress indicator as it's downloading.. hmm.. OK) and then continued with the install. As per the usual.. at 58% or so of ''INSTALLING'' it seemed to freeze for a very long time. Moving the mouse around.. or trying to cancel the install.. caused a system freeze again (BTW.. I HAVE let it set at 50-70% in the past as before for an hour) and the only thing i could do was a hard reboot.

Whereupon the system got back up into a Windows desktop (barely) and then a bubble popped up in the systray that said: New Hardware Found: ''System''. That disappeared after a moment and a new one popped up saying: New Hardware Found: ''BitDefender AVC HV''. That bubble stays up and eventually.. if you try to dismiss it or do anything else.. it just freezes the desktop once again. Unfortunately.. this time around.. I can't even run the uninstall tool because XP doesn't actually get up and fully running.

If I then tried to F8 into Safe Mode (with or without ''Networking'') all I get is a black screen and NO GUI. The ONLY thing I CAN do is F* into Last Known Good Configuration which then gets me a desktop again.. but freezes upon the BD AVC HV balloon. I'm screwed. Contacted TS by phone and I'm now downloading BD AV 2012 Plus standalone installer.. but I already tried that last week with the trial and I hold no hope as even it ''freezes'' up during an install. There also seems to be a BD icon on the desktop after booting into XP.. but it has the generic Windows program icon associated with it. This indicates to me that for all intents and purposes.. the install is not finishing properly (obviously) and is leaving remnants behind anyway.

I get NO eroor messages of any kind during install or after rebooting. I get NO requests or indications of ''additional'' (i.e. VC redist) software either being neeeded, nor installed during installation. I get no indications of interfering or malicious software during the initial scan. My system IS clean to begin with and i have a functional broadband connection during the download. I'm at a loss here.

So now that i've actually BOUGHT the product.. I'd kind of like to be able to use it. Tech support told me that they would ''elevate'' this but since any correspondence from them will be done through e-mail and not over the phone.. I'd like for you Christian.. to PLEASE look into this as well and hopefully give me any suggestions or feedback.

Obviously.. I'm kind of screwed with my XP partition.. I don't see any way to even access a System Restore point (since I can't even get into Safe Mode) and save myself. Luckily.. I DID make an Acronis back up of my XP partition just last night in anticipation of this. I can (and probably will) restore it back that way to a point BEFORe BitDefender even touched my HD. And before you say it.. no.. Acronis is being ran off a recovery CD and currently.. isn't even installed in XP.

I'm at a loss.. and I really want Bitdefender to be a part of my XP system's security. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time and attention. At this point.. I'm beginning to wonder if I should even really ''try again'' simply because obviously.. the same thing will happen again. Oddly enough.. I DID manage to get BitDefender free to install last week after a bit of ''fighting'' and finnageling with it.. strange.

BTW.. I HAVE checked other ''Can't get to install in XP'' threads.. and found none which match my problem.. which makes this all the more perplexing.

Comments

• A followup..

After using my Acronis image to restore a clean XP install.. I tried a few more things. I used the standalone installer for 32-bit and told it I did NOT want it to update while installing. I also told it I wanted it to install as a ''trial''. It froze again at around 60%.

This time I was able to get into Safe Mode and use System Restore to get back to before BD was installed. Funny thing though.. while I booted into Safe Mode as ''Administrator'' immediately after the failed install.. a dialog box popped up saying: "Please insert the Compact Disc labeled ''AVCHV device Installation Disk #1'' into your CD-ROm Drive G:\ and then click OK. I was also able to run the uninstallation tool in Safe mode as well. One other time I got into the actual XP OS I ran a regedit search for ''avchc'' and found too many entries to erase (It's tied to your software alright. It showed up everywhere under BD keys.).

Sooo.. as a last ''test''.. I decided to install the 64-bit version on my W7 partition. I actually used the tiny executable this time and let it download the install. Everything went fine and it's running seemingly without problems. This rules out a ''hardware'' or BIOS issue.

BTW.. I even tried installing BD in XP Safe Mode (the standalone) giving it full admin rights.. but it failed after I got all the permissions straightened out saying it couldn't install ''drivers''.

I bought this product for my XP OS. I have reviewed all the requirements and met them all. I even updated IE6 to IE8 and installed the latest 2010 VCredist before BitDefender. I'm using a 1-year subscription to Comodo Internet Security Suite Pro in Windows 7 (or I will.. as soon as I get rid of BD in it.. <sigh> time for TWO image restores I guess) and am quite happy with it. If this issue can't get resolved for XP.. I will seek a refund.

• I've phoned tech support, opened a ticket (2 actually) and sent a support log. Will see what develops.

• columbo
    Options

Let us know what they come up with, hopefully they can get this resolved for you. :mellow:

• emdeec
    edited January 2012
    Options

Thank you. I TOO hope for some resolvement (Though it's been a day without any answer and I'm not holding out much hope.). In the meantime.. I can't sit here continually running XP without any kind of security so I'm going to install an old standby of mine Outpost Security Suite. I can always restore the image of an earlier time before any AV programs should Bitdefender come up with a solution.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi :)

Could you please post here the ticket ID so I can take a look in the system?

Thank you.

• Somehow I ended up with two actually (Probably because I ended up calling tech support twice.).

TicketID: 201201111010147

2012/01/11 01:55:31

TicketID: 201201111027911

2012/01/11 12:18:52

I told ts the second time (after they sent me the same instructions twice after a reply) why I couldn't run a support log AFTER a fouled up install (The install totally renders my OS inoperable) but I guess there was a slight miscommunication problem. It sounds like tech support (for the US anyway.. day or night) is coming out of Asia or India. The supplied support log was simply done on the ''clean'' OS in an idle state.

Thank you for your time and attention.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hello :)

Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately, the log is incomplete / corrupt.

I will send you new instructions over email in about 20 minutes (Ticket ID: 201201111010147).

Thank you.

• Thank you for your response Christian and the e-mail. I went ahead and installed a few more applications since my last message.. I couldn't go without them; but the biggest was AVG Free. Currently I have AVG Free, Windows 7 Firewall Control, WinRAR, Revo Uninstaller Pro and Nero 10 installed.. plus a few small non-consequential utilities. Most of which weren't even installed the last time I tried to install BitDefender. So as NOT to make these an issue before I run anymore ''report'' tools.. here's what I intend to do soon..

Aside from the Acronis image I referred to earlier, I have another one I made immediately after installing XP. It has absolutely nothing on it. It was made after my clean install of Windows XP Home 32-bit directly from my retail DVD and stands at Service Pack 2. In fact.. it has no drivers, not even graphics or audio cards yet. I can't remember if even the chipset (NVidia 650SLI) drivers are installed (I may have.. just to get network/internet access). There is absolutely NO 3rd party applications of any kind on it. The only thing that has been altered has it's been activated (so yeah.. now that I think of it.. chipset drivers were installed).

After I make an image of my current set up.. I will reinstate this VERY clean one. Because I know BDAV+ 2012 requires VCredist 2010, SP3 and IE 7 or above (listed in the requirements) I WILL install JUST them (I have standalone exe installs of all of those). I will then try and install BitDefender. I will use the standalone 215 meg install executable I downloaded directly from your site. I will tell it NOT to update during install and for the moment.. will tell it I want to run it as a ''trial''. If I still have any troubles.. this would rule out ANY 3rd party conflicts (as none are installed). As before.. since it installed on my Windows 7 Home Premium partition seemingly fine.. I can pretty much already rule out a hardware conflict. Any problems would simply indicate an OS (XP) conflict of some kind.

I will run BOTH logging tools I've acquired through BD tech support BEFORE install of BDAV. If the install freezes and it is possible.. I will try to boot back into the corrupted OS and run them again but it may not be possible as when BD freezes.. it pretty much renders me ''trashed'' at that point.

I will attach the reports to an e-mail explaining what I did and return them back to tech support as a reply to the ticket and personal response from you. Hopefully.. this next install attempt on a REAL clean system will be fine and I'm assuming I could probably go on and ''customize'' and personalize it with my other apps afterwards. I'm hoping that if I can get to a successful install even a ''conflicting'' app or Windows update may possibly show up (maybe not.. since BD would already be up and running) and could be singled out thereafter quite easily.

I reiterate again.. it seems kind of pointless for me to try an install.. or even run a support tool again on the system as it is because I have already added more ''fuel to the fire'' by adding some rather OS invasive security apps by now. I basically just said again the only 4 major apps that were installed and with all the Windows updates.. if you guys don't already see something you know presents a conflict from past experiences.. I may as well go and try the ''squeaky'' clean install.

Thank you for all your time and attention once again. I will keep you posted.

• Well.. I TOTALLY expected this to cure the problem.. but it didn't. I restored a CLEAN XP image that was only activated and had the chipset drivers installed (giving me broadband access). I then installed the SP3 standalone, then IE 7, then VC++ redist 2010 and lastly the MS .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 redist (which updates all the others before it). Fired up the standalone BD executable and told it not to update during install and install as a trial. the installation got to 56% and then ''froze''. Funny thing about the freezing part.. it seems to get more and more ''frozen'' as I attempt to do more (open windows, close apps, copy & paste.. etc.) eventually to a point where the mouse freezes and the keyboard doesn't respond. I could probably stay functional longer if I just limited activity to mouse movement.

As per the usual.. I was locked out of Safe Mode, but was able to boot into Last known Good Configuration a couple of times and capture screen grabs before a freeze up. eventually.. the two ''Found New Hardware'' balloons pop up saying ''System'' then the ''Bitdefender AVC HV'' driver and that's where it gets ugly.. every time.

BTW.. I DID generate booth a BD support tool log AND the MS Autoruns one you requested along with the two screen grabs (I had 3 but lost one along the way). I will upload the whole thing to a Mediafire site and link to it in my latest reply e-mail.

I'm at a TOTAL loss here right now. only two things come to mind:

1.) BIOS settings. Mine are all set to default except the obvious individualized CPU and memory settings. Absolutely NO overclocking or tweaking. besides the fact that it installs into my W7 partition just fine indicates to me it couldn't be hardware or BIOS related.

2.) I have a dual-boot system (XP installed first.. then W7) using the standard XP boot menu. I have used EasyBCD to alter the names and default boot settings in the menu but nothing major and that works fine. Besides.. the install is freezing during 2/3 of the way WHILE in the OS.. not upon a reboot.

Other than that.. I can't see ANYthing that could make this happen in XP.

The VERY last thing I could do is wipe the HD completely.. destroying all partitions.. then reinstall XP alone w/o W7 making it a single operating sytem but i fail to see how that could make a difference and later trying to restore my current back ups back to two littler but separate partitions and reverting back to dual boot. Might be dangerous.

So I'll get those files off to you in an e-mail referencing the Ticket ID you specified and await any suggestions.

• Hmm.. was just thinking..

Do you think that maybe I should try some older versions?

Like Bitdefender 2011 or 2010?

I'm getting desperate here and I really haven't heard ANYthing constructive from tech support.

In fact.. I kind of feel like I've been doing nothing but my own debugging so far.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi :)

I have analyzed the logs from your machine and some entries are missing(especially the ones related to the drivers).

In order to be able to further investigate the reported situation we need some more information from your computer as follows:

. A BDSYS log;

. A GMER log;

. Use the new Bitdefender QuickScan for an extra layer of protection;

~ Below you will find complete instructions in terms of how to perform the above actions. ~

. A BDSYS log;

[how to GENERATE A BDSYS LOG]

. Save and extract the BDSYS tool to a location of your choice:

http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge.../BDSysLog_i.exe

. Make sure you close all active applications and then run "BDSysLog_i.exe"; If you receive a firewall

alert,select to Allow the application to connect;

. Click the "Create log" button to start generating the

log; A progress bar is indicating that the tool is creating the report;

. When the small window appears with the message "Log

saved" then the report is complete and a new file named "bdsyslog.zip" has appeared on your Desktop;

. Send me via PM the generated log file.

. If the file is to big for send it over PM, upload the results to one of the online file hosting servers mentioned below or use one of your own and send via PM the download link.

http://www.sendspace.com

http://www.mediafire.com

[how to GENERATE A GMER LOG]

. Save the GMER tool (and then extract it if needed) to a location of your choice:

RECOMMENDED: http://www.gmer.net/download.php

alternative: http://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/gmr.zip

. Make sure you close all active applications and then run the tool;

. Allow the tool a few moments to load up and perform the initial scan;

. Click on the "Scan" button from the lower right side of the window; You will notice that the button will change to "Stop" indicating that the tool is creating the report;

. When the scanning process is over the button will change back to "Scan";

. Click on the "Save..." button and save the log to a location of your choice, naming it "gmerlog";

. If the file is to big for send it over PM, upload the results to one of the online file hosting servers mentioned below or use one of your own and send via PM the download link.

[how to USE THE BITDEFENDER QUICKSCAN]

Bitdefender QuickScan is an online scanning tool that uses a new technology to combine intelligent local scanning and in-the-cloud scanning which detects e-threats in memory quickly.

. Using your favorite web browser visit: http://quickscan.bitdefender.com/;

NOTE! A detailed installation and compatibility guide can always be found at:

http://forum.malwarecity.com/index.php?showtopic=23

. Click on "Start" (install the required ActiveX/Plugin if necessary);

. Allow the scanning process a few moments to complete;

. When the scan is over click on "View log" in order to open the log in the default text editor; Save the log to a location of your choice (e.g. Desktop).

We will contact you once the analysis is complete. Take care.

• Will do.

One quick question though..

by "close all active applications" do you want me to shut down those running in the system tray as well?

At this point in time.. it would merely be AVG Free and W7 Firewall Control.

I can go into Services and REALLY make sure nothing pertaining to the two is up and still running as well.

Thanks.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello

You can leave the system tray applications turned on. I was talking about those that run on the machine now(browsers, music players, etc).

Take care.

• Done!

• Hello Christian, and thank you for your e-mail. I'm sorry.. but in all the self-debugging I had done in the past several days one of the other things I forgot to tell you and tech support I'd also tried was "unblocking" the install executables under the file's properties. I'm afraid the result was the same.. a stalled install.. so there's really no sense for me to try it again.

At any rate.. I have gone ahead and purchased a subscription to Kaspersky and it is up and running fine. Thank you for your time and attention. I guess this is just one of those "unsolvable" mysteries. I purchased BDAV at a discount.. so I'm not out much anyways.

You can close this thread out.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi

We apologize for any negative experience you have encountered with our products or our support. Your feedback is appreciated, and will be directed to the appropriate team for review, to enable us to improve our support and services.

Thank you for taking the time and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further details from us.

Have a nice day.

This discussion has been closed.