Setting The Firewall To Ask The User Which Rule Should Be Created

Hi there.

Here's what I've been struggling with.

Whenever an application tries for the first time to access the Web, I want the firewall to ask me whether it should be allowed or not, thus creating the inherent rule.

To achieve that, in the 2011 edition, I merely had to set the "protection level" accordingly. Now, no more (I'd like to know WHY, btw): in this 2012 edition, I can't seem to fathom where I should set what. It seems that all processes are allowed to access the web by default; I can change firewall rules only afterwards, once they've been created (and they're ALL created to allow web access).

Thanks a lot for your help.

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited February 2012

Hello :)

In Bitdefender 2012, you need to turn on Paranoid Mode.

But remember that in this mode, no firewall rules are created for those applications.

This decision was made for security reasons.

Thank you.

paranoid.png

• givolini
    edited February 2012

Hi!

"But remember that in this mode, no firewall rules are created for those applications.

This decision was made for security reasons."

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I fully understand both of the above.

Care to elaborate?

Thank you,

Giorgio

• columbo
    columbo
    edited February 2012

Hi Giorgio,

Not to interrupt yours and Christians dialogue, but what he was showing is if you click to to turn on Paranoid Mode in the Firewall settings, you will get the pop ups your looking for, as I've included below.

I believe the reason Paranoid Mode is turned off by default, is that Bitdefender's Firewall allows known good programs automatically make their inbound out bound connections, thus keeping a novice user who might get confused on what to do, end up blocking access to a known good program, or allowing a rouge program to connect, thus the security reason to keep that setting off by default.

BDParanoidMode.jpg

Hope this helps :)

• Yes, it does! Thanks a lot to both of you, guys.

Cheers,

Giorgio

• Thanks for that update, we're glad you were helped. :)

• Hi Giorgio :)

Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions or concerns.

Take care.

• yesname
    edited March 2012

In Bitdefender 2012, you need to turn on Paranoid Mode.

But remember that in this mode, no firewall rules are created for those applications.

This decision was made for security reasons.

Thank you.

paranoid.png

Dear Christian,

Could you tell us why did you take out that very user friendly function from 2012?

I am not novice users (like others) and I WANT TO DECIDE which porgram can access net when it access the net first time. This was the most user friendly and simpliest way to handle a firewall. Why did you changed this useful way? OMFG, so stupid decision...

Regards,

Yesname

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello Yesname :)

Thank you for your feedback.

That functionality can not coexist with Auto Pilot. The Auto Pilot was introduced in this version of Bitdefender and takes care of everything.

Since you are not a novice user, you can create manual rules for application or you can modify the existing ones.

Thank you for your understanding.

• Hello Yesname :)

Thank you for your feedback.

That functionality can not coexist with Auto Pilot. The Auto Pilot was introduced in this version of Bitdefender and takes care of everything.

Since you are not a novice user, you can create manual rules for application or you can modify the existing ones.

Thank you for your understanding.

Massive circumlocution...

Yes, I can modify or create any rules, but I like simple way too. That option worked great in 2011 and it can coexist with Auto Pilot too (I know.). Sadly, I see you are working against users and you think the users are idiot. BIS is going worse year after years. I am very sad, because BIS was my favourite security application. :(

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

I understand the current situation, but it can not coexist with Auto Pilot. In Bitdefender 2012, when Paranoid Mode is turned on, Auto Pilot is automatically turned off.

The Auto Pilot was designed for users that want a silent security solution. Most of the users don;t want to be bothered by pop-ups, alerts, messages, etc.

Anyway, you can use Bitdefender 2011 if you find it more interesting and fits your needs

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=20566

Have a great weekend!

• Hello :)

I understand the current situation, but it can not coexist with Auto Pilot. In Bitdefender 2012, when Paranoid Mode is turned on, Auto Pilot is automatically turned off.

The Auto Pilot was designed for users that want a silent security solution. Most of the users don;t want to be bothered by pop-ups, alerts, messages, etc.

Anyway, you can use Bitdefender 2011 if you find it more interesting and fits your needs

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=20566

Have a great weekend!

Disabling Auto Pilot is the first thing what I do after BIS 2012 is installed.

Please do not tell me that you can not put another option (like was in 211 version) beside this very stupid not user friendly Paranoid Mode (when AP is disabled). You can, but you won't.

Sure I can use older version, but this advise proves BIS 2012 is not revolutionarry, rather it is fortfeited.

Why are you taking out such a great function like that? I do not understand.

• I undertsand it's very secure now the 2012 version, but I have just up-graded from 2011 to 2012 (was supposed to keep all my previous settings) and not only I can't get the alert for new connections opened (paranoid or not paranoid, auto pilot or not), but I can't see the list of the applications that were set in 2011.... even trying to set the browser with ALL acess .. nada... no Internet connection at all (this is highly secure).

The only option to browse the Internet is to disable the firewall...

(BTW, I'll open my own thread for this)

So the understand Yesname's frustration when something is supposed to be an improvement but it seems that the designer didn't take into consideration the users...

Unfortunatelly, it's not only BitDefender's attitude.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Welcome back.

First off all, all the product settings are not kept during the upgrade process.

If you turned on the Paranoid Mode, the behavior is natural, no firewall rules are kept in this mode(the name of the module is the key to it's behavior).

That's why you receive those pop-ups for each software opened.

For the current case, let do something.

I have here a special patch that will reinstall the firewall components and drivers for Bitdefender 2012.

Download and save following file to your desktop.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tmyqwm68j8id5nd

Do not run it!

Now, please reboot in Safe Mode.

[How to restart in SAFE MODE With Networking]

- Restart the computer;

- Press the "F8" key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load; you need to press "F8" until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select "SAFE MODE With Networking"

If you have Windows Vista or 7, right click on the patch and choose Run as administrator. If not, just double click on it.

Wait for the process to finish and reboot the PC in Normal Mode.

Let me know if everything is OK now.

Take care.

• JAGUARS
    edited May 2012
    Hi Giorgio,

Not to interrupt yours and Christians dialogue, but what he was showing is if you click to to turn on Paranoid Mode in the Firewall settings, you will get the pop ups your looking for, as I've included below.

I believe the reason Paranoid Mode is turned off by default, is that Bitdefender's Firewall allows known good programs automatically make their inbound out bound connections, thus keeping a novice user who might get confused on what to do, end up blocking access to a known good program, or allowing a rouge program to connect, thus the security reason to keep that setting off by default.

Hope this helps :)

I agree with you. But there are chances that Bitdefender can make mistake in creating the rules, if paranoid mode is OFF, and then the user couldn't know what actually happened? I faced that some days ago that Google Chrome failed to connect to the internet and can't be updated, other browsers works fine. I re-install but, no result, then I go through Firewall Application Rules and found that Bitdefender has block rule for Google Chrome automatically which was the false positive of firewall application rules. Since there is no popup, I couldn't know the actual cause at first glance.

So what about the users that wants popups,alerts and messages because even disabling Auto Pilot can't do this like in Bitdefender 2011.

Disabling Auto Pilot is the first thing what I do after BIS 2012 is installed.

Please do not tell me that you can not put another option (like was in 211 version) beside this very stupid not user friendly Paranoid Mode (when AP is disabled). You can, but you won't.

Sure I can use older version, but this advise proves BIS 2012 is not revolutionarry, rather it is fortfeited.

Why are you taking out such a great function like that? I do not understand.

Strongly agree with Yesname. I also don't like Auto Pilot and Paranoid Mode. I like settings like in 2011 ver.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited May 2012

Hi :)

You can install Bitdefender 2011 on your machine if you like that product more than the new one.

The 2011 products are still supported and we release hourly updates for them too like all old products.

Take care.

• Hello :)

Welcome back.

First off all, all the product settings are not kept during the upgrade process.

If you turned on the Paranoid Mode, the behavior is natural, no firewall rules are kept in this mode(the name of the module is the key to it's behavior).

That's why you receive those pop-ups for each software opened.

For the current case, let do something.

I have here a special patch that will reinstall the firewall components and drivers for Bitdefender 2012.

Download and save following file to your desktop.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tmyqwm68j8id5nd

Do not run it!

Now, please reboot in Safe Mode.

[How to restart in SAFE MODE With Networking]

- Restart the computer;

- Press the "F8" key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load; you need to press "F8" until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select "SAFE MODE With Networking"

If you have Windows Vista or 7, right click on the patch and choose Run as administrator. If not, just double click on it.

Wait for the process to finish and reboot the PC in Normal Mode.

Let me know if everything is OK now.

Take care.

Could you please let me know, what exactly does this patch do?

I think the previous users and me are looking for the ability to have every internet connection pop up, AND be able to say "allow permanently", thus creating a rule for that application. Does this patch do this?

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

The patch will reinstall the components of the firewall module(drivers, services, etc).

Please run it as instructed and let me know if everything is OK after.

Also, as the new Bitdefender 2013 product suite was released, we would like to inform you that you benefit from a FREE upgrade to the latest version.

Apart from the fact that the 2013 suite brings lots of new features and improvements, it will most likely solve any issues that you may have encountered with your previous Bitdefender product.

Please check out this announcement:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=241&id=42

Have a great weekend!