Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Cannot Update My Hosts File

Options

Hi

How do I tell Bitdefender to allow my changes

I am trying to block certain websites by setting their IP address to 127.0.0.1

Comments

• Hi

How do I tell Bitdefender to allow my changes

I am trying to block certain websites by setting their IP address to 127.0.0.1

I guess I put this in the wrong forum.

I edit c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts with vi and BD comes along and zaps all my updates

• What do you mean that,did your problem got solved

God never made his work for man to mend vmware_happy.gif

• What do you mean that,did your problem got solved

God never made his work for man to mend vmware_happy.gif

Sorry no, just trying to give more info.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hello :)

That is a safety measure that was taken in case the hosts file get hijacked.

In the current case, I recommend you to block the IPs via zones.

In order to change your network type, please right click on BitDefender icon from system tray(the "B" icon) and choose "Show". From the main window, click on "Network details" button from the Firewall section.

All your adapters are listed there and you will be able to change your network type. Set the network type to "Home/Office", Stealth Mode to "Off" and Generic to "Yes". After this click on Close.

Now click on "Settings" button. Go to the Firewall module on the left and select the "Advanced" tab from the right side. Now click on "Adapter rules". A new window will open. Click on "Add Zone" button. Enter IPs, make sure you select Deny under Permission and click OK. Close all the windows and reboot your machine.

If you need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let us know. Have a nice day.

• Hello :)

That is a safety measure that was taken in case the hosts file get hijacked.

In the current case, I recommend you to block the IPs via zones.

In order to change your network type, please right click on BitDefender icon from system tray(the "B" icon) and choose "Show". From the main window, click on "Network details" button from the Firewall section.

All your adapters are listed there and you will be able to change your network type. Set the network type to "Home/Office", Stealth Mode to "Off" and Generic to "Yes". After this click on Close.

Now click on "Settings" button. Go to the Firewall module on the left and select the "Advanced" tab from the right side. Now click on "Adapter rules". A new window will open. Click on "Add Zone" button. Enter IPs, make sure you select Deny under Permission and click OK. Close all the windows and reboot your machine.

If you need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let us know. Have a nice day.

• whoops something odd happened when I tried to reply to your message.

Anyway I now realize why BD defends the hosts file

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello :)

Welcome back.

I glad that you now understand the situation.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care.